The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango In The Night - Which Songs Include Stevie?

What Tango In The Night songs include Stevie?

In addition to her three original songs, I hear her on "Little Lies" and on "Family Man" (Wikipedia doesn't credit her, but I hear her around the 2-1/2 minute mark).

Wikipedia credits her with singing on the extended remix (but not on the album mix) of "Big Love" and with synthesizer and singing on "Everywhere" (I don't hear her voice, and for the life of me can't see why they would have her play synthesizer on one of Christine's songs).

The tour DVD demonstrates she would ideally be on "Isn't It Midnight" singing a "face of a pretty girl" counter vocal, but I don't hear her on the album version of that song either.

Last edited by cbBen; 11-12-2018 at 11:20 AM..
Old 11-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This is a tough question to answer because the debate about "where is Stevie on Tango" has been raging with numerous other threads. Some claim they can hear Stevie on Everywhere while others say no. Lindsey mentioned how hard Tango was to create with the dysfunction of the band. Stevie did a quick Seven Wonders before checking into Betty Ford. When she left Betty Ford, she only attended a few more recording sessions. Lindsey is not specific but claims he had to work her voice in on parts. Which parts? Good question. If you listen closely, Stevie is not on the chorus of Little Lies. She only sings "tell me lies." We all want to know how creative Lindsey was during this process. Were these words Lindsey programmed together? Probably a stretch but its anyone's guess. Its clear to me that her voice is layered in on Family Man. So, IMHO Stevie is on her 3 songs, layered in on Family Man, and Little Lies is the wild card. For the record, there are even some that claim its not Stevie on Family Man but it's Lindsey being creative (again).
Lindsey needs to write a book.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At around the 2-1/2 minute mark of "Family Man," at least to my ear, she's also doing a brief vocal turn all on her own – not something that could be faked as it is her voice distinctly.

So far, it sounds like she's on just five or six songs out of the twelve (which would make about half the album the same lineup as Buckingham McVie.)

Still eager to hear from others as to what they know/hear on this front.

Last edited by cbBen; 11-12-2018 at 12:55 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
At around the 2-1/2 minute mark of "Family Man," at least to my ear, she's also doing a brief vocal turn all on her own – not something that could be faked as it is her voice distinctly.

So far, it sounds like she's on just five or six songs out of the twelve (which would make about half the album the same lineup as Buckingham McVie.)

Still eager to hear from others as to what they know/hear on this front.

I'd go along with Macfan4life. I'll give Little Lies but I'm one of those people who is convinced she is definitely not on Everywhere. She sounds like the 'I am what I am what I am what I am what I am...' etc on Family Man. However I concur there's a chance that could be Lindsey's creative trickery. I don't think she's on any other non-Stevie songs.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 11-12-2018, 01:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

In addition to her three original songs, I hear her on "Little Lies" and on "Family Man" (Wikipedia doesn't credit her, but I hear her around the 2-1/2 minute mark).

Wikipedia credits her with singing on the extended remix (but not on the album mix) of "Big Love" and with synthesizer and singing on "Everywhere" (I don't hear her voice, and for the life of me can't see why they would have her play synthesizer on one of Christine's songs).

The tour DVD demonstrates she would ideally be on "Isn't It Midnight" singing a "face of a pretty girl" counter vocal, but I don't hear her on the album version of that song either.
My Summary of her contribution relating to Tango:

Album Cuts:
When I See You Again
Seven Wonders
Welcome to the Room... Sara
Little Lies
Family Man: She's the one going "am whadda am, am whadda am, etc" around the 2:30 mark, low in the mix with lots of distortion. You could make the case that it's Lindsey doing vocal tricks, but the same sample is played in the extended version around the 5:00 mark. Here it is slowed down, high in the mix, and clearly Stevie. She is also present on the chorus in this version.

I do not hear her on any of the other songs, including Everywhere. She may indeed be there, buried in the mix, but I cannot for the life of me hear her.

Alternate Versions:
1. Family Man: Much more prominent, see above. She also squeals a lot and talks about "mother father, sister," "I can't let go" on the Extended guitar mix around the 5:30 mix. Very RAL, i.e. erratic and drunk sounding. She is present on the chorus of this version as well.
2. Big Love: She is yelling "house up on the hill!" in the extended version, around 4:10. In the "House on the Hill Dub" mix, she is also yelling... something, "pretty girl" maybe? This starts around 1:10, and then concludes with "looking out for love" just afterwards. Somewhere in these tracks is also a vocal sample that has her yelling "Well it's a big, big love" These are likely the backing vocals she recorded for the album track that Lindsey stripped out before release. Understandable as they don't flow with the slick nature of the song.
3. Little Lies: She's more prominent. At the end she sings "Tell me lies, OH, sweet little lies, no no you can't disguise", "oohs" and repeats "sweet lies, little lies", also likely leftover vocals from her sessions that Lindsey chose not to use in the final.

So we at least have some evidence of her vocal sessions on other songs, they were used in the extended cuts instead. A user on this board (FannyMac) claims to have interned with Modern Records, Stevie's solo label, and heard an early cut of the album where her vocals were "All over it" before it was stripped to "just two songs", and then her third song was added back and her Little Lies backing vocal was reinserted.

Live:
Isn't It Midnight: The 1987-1988 and 1990 tours have her on the chorus, with an additional solo bit following the first chorus where she repeats "The face of a pretty girl" and a new closing vocal where she leads some "Welllllll Isn't it midnight"s with the others. This may be similar to how she recorded backing vocals for the album song before they were stripped, but there's no evidence of this because she is not present on any demo or alternate version.
Everywhere: The 1987-1988 and 1990 tours have her yelling "I WANNA BE WITH YOU" like an obnoxious chipmunk before she and Christine deliver the chorus. It's possible this was similar to the backing vocal she recorded for the album that she was so pissed about being removed. It's impossible to tell since it is not found on any demos or alternate versions of the song.
Big Love: She did backing vocals on the chorus for a 1998 live performance on Letterman with Lindsey.

As for Lindsey's vocal trickery, that is most promiently on display with Caroline. There's a version of the song which isolates the backing vocals (usually listed as a demo) which reveals that they belong to Lindsey with pitch increase. This pitch increase sounds a *bit* like it could be Stevie+Christine on the album, but alone it is clearly Lindsey.

I do not see any sign of her on Caroline, You and I, Ricky, Down Endless Street, Mystified, and Tango in the Night (in any version).

Songs she produced with her band that were considered for Tango but were not seriously demoed with the Mac:
What Has Rock and Roll Ever Done For You?- Mick Fleetwood's book
At the Fair- No evidence to corroborate this, but it is often found on Tango compilations.

Songs she demoed for Tango that were played by the Mac but were not used:
Joan of Arc- Not included on the expanded album because Stevie claims that she is "not done with it"
Ooh My Love: Later on OSOTM in a different arrangement
Juliet (completed instrumental in "Book of Miracles",s the "Seven Wonders" b-side). Later on OSOTM in a different arrangement.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 11-12-2018, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Many of us heard Stevie on the Buckingham/McVie album. Of course she is not on the album but Lindsey has a way of backing vocals that our brain thinks is Stevie.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, Netter75, for all this detail.

It amazes me that with songs like "Candlebright" "Sorcerer" "The Dealer" "Planets Of The Universe" and "Smile At You" available, they still went with something as awful as "Welcome To The Room Sara" (maybe Stevie insisted on its inclusion). "When I See You Again" is also worse than the above songs, but not nearly so bad as "Welcome To The Room" (which really prevents the album from being able to claim masterpiece status).
Old 11-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While we're on the subject of Tango, what does everyone think of the following?: Is Christine absent (neither playing nor singing) from any songs on the album – such as, but not limited to, "Tango In The Night" and "Caroline"?
Old 11-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I admire when groups don't divvy up the songs politically, but just go with the best material without regard to how many songs come from each songwriter.

Bob Weir has no songs on the Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead. David Crosby has just one song on CSN's Daylight Again. Jeremy Spencer has no songs on Then Play On.

If the group for whatever reason was refusing to consider songs five years or older, then it should have limited Stevie's contribution to "Seven Wonders."

Last edited by cbBen; 11-12-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All of Stevie's contributions on Tango were recently written songs. I suppose she wanted to deliver something fresh to the band. When I see you again was sent to the band early on when Stevie was on the RAL tour. There was not much time after Stevie rejoined the band to explore and spend time on her songs. I suppose Welcome to the room Sara was big on her mind at the time. No doubt some of her classic songs like Running Through The Garden and Smile At You would have tremendously helped out the album. While Christine contributed some ace songs, I miss her playing. That is one reason I like Behind the Mask better than Tango. I love the way Christine plays keyboards. Just the opening of Skies the Limit gives me chills.
According to Mick's first book Stevie brought What has rock n roll ever done for you but the band picked When I see you again instead. I laugh because I bet Lindsey hated What has rock n roll ever done for you. Its a very arrogant (but fun) song.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
While Christine contributed some ace songs, I miss her playing. That is one reason I like Behind the Mask better than Tango. I love the way Christine plays keyboards.
You're right. They didn't have her do a lot of more-or-less traditional playing, other than synth pads (Seven Wonders) and DX7 tines (Little Lies). They should have found a place on the album for Where We Belong—I was going back and forth between "Is that a guitar?" or "Is that a keyboard?" I decided it was keyboard, and it's Christine doing it, whatever she's playing it on.

She also plays her DX7 on Mystified, but much of the atmosphere on the album is probably Lindsey and his workstation—sampling, looping, DFX, etc.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-12-2018, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is it Lindsey and not Christine on keyboards on Tango In The Night?

That would mean there are several songs (or maybe just two?) that have neither Stevie nor Christine.

Lindsey has said in interviews that sometimes personal resentment caused him not to want to help Stevie put her best foot forward. I wonder whether that impulse got the better of him on Tango.

He could perhaps have insisted on using better older material of hers, but instead let two weak songs go on the album. That did not serve Stevie or the band well.

Last edited by cbBen; 11-12-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks, Netter75, for all this detail.

It amazes me that with songs like "Candlebright" "Sorcerer" "The Dealer" "Planets Of The Universe" and "Smile At You" available, they still went with something as awful as "Welcome To The Room Sara" (maybe Stevie insisted on its inclusion). "When I See You Again" is also worse than the above songs, but not nearly so bad as "Welcome To The Room" (which really prevents the album from being able to claim masterpiece status).
I also want to thank Netter75 for his descriptive post. Very helpful.

I agree, it's crazy to think the band chose those songs by Stevie over the ones you mentioned, but I'm sure they were looking at the future and not the past. Planets of the Universe is one of my favorite Stevie/FM songs, and it's inclusion would have been fabulous. However, I remember an interview where Stevie said she played the recorded version of Planets of the Universe for Lindsey, and that he praised the producer, saying he could never figure out what to do with the song. I have no idea if that's true, but if it is, that might explain why Planets never made it on a FM album.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When this has come up before, I've made a case for her appearing on the title track. I'm not 100% convinced by my own argument, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I sometimes think that Stevie can be heard on the title track. It's probably more fake Stevie concocted by Lindsey, though- listen from 0:56 to 1:12, for example.

I do love that tiny bit of Christine you can hear at 2:25 to 2:41 just before the guitar solo kicks in. She sounds like a lost soul about to be carried away in the night.

I've tried so many times to hear Stevie on Eveywhere.If she's there, her voice has been synthesized almost out of existence
Old 11-12-2018, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am willing to say with extreme confidence that Stevie is not playing any of the synth parts on Everywhere. She was barely there to record a coherent vocal in 1987 let alone lay down synth parts on a song she did not write.

If you look at the personnel credits on Wiki for Tango in the Night, Say You Will, EP and Buckingham McVie they are increasingly Buckingham studio craft pieces that went beyond producing and arranging to actually playing and programming lots of the parts himself. This may have been a point of consternation for the band during the production of these albums, but maybe not? Although I believe he is the principal architect of the band's gorgeous ersatz symphonic sound, sometimes the architect has to know that the mason lays better brick than he himself would.

This is a great article on Tango and the building of that album.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums...eluxe-edition/

In Tango's case I think the physical and mental condition of the other band members forced his hand with many of these choices.

Last edited by John Run; 11-12-2018 at 07:19 PM..