Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Wilderado talks about LB

i love that LB brought Wilderado to open for BuckVie last year, and JS Ondara this tour.

he obviously cares about nurturing young, unknown artists.

audio here - they talk about LB in the middle and then again at the end, mentioning opening for BuckVie at Beacon and what happened after that show - https://q1043.iheart.com/featured/ou...s-acoustic-ep/

Q104.3 - New York's Classic Rock

OUT OF THE BOX
Wilderado Talks Band Rules, Lindsey Buckingham, 'Favors (Acoustic)' EP
posted by Andrew Magnotta -
Dec 11, 2018

The most compelling thing any new band can do is find its identity.

Wilderado takes what it does seriously. Not in a humorless way, mind you, but there's a humbleness to the way the band goes about its business — an attention to detail and an intension to conveying its music at the utmost level.

"Our rule is just to not try and hide anything from what we are and what we're doing," front man Max Rainer tells Q104.3 New York's Out of the Box with Jonathan Clarke. "I don't think any of us are trying to be southern rock, but if that comes out, we're not ashamed of it."

There might be a dash of southern music in what makes up Wilderado, but that doesn't tell the whole story. If pitch-perfect harmonies and the occasional acoustic guitar makes a band southern rock, then that might well be what Wilderado is.

Sonically, Wilderado probably has more in common with Foals, Young the Giant, electric Mumford & Sons or early-Coldplay.

The band members are well aware of their roots, in whatever genres those may be. But more importantly, Wilderado songs come of triumphantly whether the whole band is plugged in or if they have just a couple of acoustic guitars and a microphone.

The new Favors (Acoustic) EP, which is available now, proves that in spades.

Check out the full interview above, including the band's in-studio performance of "Favors."

Wilderado goes into detail on how Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac gave them a huge break last year. Plus, Rainer offers some clarity on the song "You Don't Love Me."

Get all Wilderado's tour dates here.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 12-17-2018 at 09:14 PM..
Old 12-17-2018, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember a Wilderado fan last year, I think it was in the Buckingham McVie Phoenix concert. She was so enthusiastic about them (kinda a lot! ) and these guys were really happy about it.

After their show ended, she just.... left. She never came back. She was there for Wilderado, not Buckingham McVie
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i love that LB brought Wilderado to open for BuckVie last year, and JS Ondara this tour.

he obviously cares about nurturing young, unknown artists.
That and the fact unknown artists usually don’t cost a lot.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That and the fact unknown artists usually don’t cost a lot.

no opener costs even less.

while sucking up to the most popular celebrity of the day to raise your own profile is just good business, right?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-18-2018, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

He may have had final approval or veto power, but it's doubtful Lindsey selected the opening act. The tour promoter or a manager likely did so.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
He may have had final approval or veto power, but it's doubtful Lindsey selected the opening act. The tour promoter or a manager likely did so.
So, he’s no cheaper then? Thanks for clarifying that.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
we talked to these guys last year.. IIRC LB always gets tons of new artists to consider, and he decided who he would like to have.

considering LB solo or FM never had an opening act before last year, it's definitely a different development and a very positive one however you turn it (unless you are Steve, of course lol).

Old 12-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
we talked to these guys last year.. IIRC LB always gets tons of new artists to consider, and he decided who he would like to have.

considering LB solo or FM never had an opening act before last year, it's definitely a different development and a very positive one however you turn it (unless you are Steve, of course lol).
Squeeze opened for Fleetwood Mac for several dates when Billy and Rick were in the band. Stevie has had several opening acts, both veterans and newcomers- Peter Frampton and Boz Scaggs and Darden Smith and Vanessa Carlton. I like that she went with older acts and newcomers, it showed a diversity.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Squeeze opened for Fleetwood Mac for several dates when Billy and Rick were in the band. Stevie has had several opening acts
i only refered to LB or LB-era FM.

Christine may have had opening acts - i have no clue but would be interesting to learn about hers, as well as Mick with his various bands, or Peter Green or Welch era band. and of course Rumours 5 when they first got together were opening for other bands, as were post-LB era FM versions, from what i heard.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i only refered to LB or LB-era FM.
Bob Welch opened a few times, Kenny Loggins opened for part of the Rumours tour, Rocky Burnette (Billy’s cousin) opened for part of the Tusk tour, and Dave Mason opened on the Mirage tour.

IIRC, Rocky filled in for John for part of a show.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-18-2018, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Men At Work

Men At Work opened for FM on the Mirage Tour (not sure if it was the entire tour). Tour was sponsored by Schlitz Beer if I remember correctly.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My two cents: Lindsey shouldn't have an opening act.

He'd be better off spending that money on live backing vocals and percussion so he doesn't have to sample so much of them. It sounds too artificial.

Stevie tours with percussion and backing vocals. Lindsey samples those elements. All things equal, I prefer live performers to samples. I wonder how much more in the way of live elements Lindsey could afford to incorporate if he didn't have to pay an opening act.

Of course, the samples may be Lindsey's preference rather than the product of budgetary considerations.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Bob Welch opened a few times, Kenny Loggins opened for part of the Rumours tour, Rocky Burnette (Billy’s cousin) opened for part of the Tusk tour, and Dave Mason opened on the Mirage tour.

IIRC, Rocky filled in for John for part of a show.
The Little River Band also opened for FM on some dates in ‘77/78.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My two cents: Lindsey shouldn't have an opening act.
i actually think LB would be in a great position to discover and nurture new acts. he's got the respect, money, musical knowledge, connections and ineterst in new music and developments.

in the absence of doing that, him having openers that are unsigned or have no music officially out yet is the next best thing. i love it!