Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Learning Mac songs on an acoustic guitar

I just wondered if any fellow guitarists (of whatever level- I consider myself a learner after 18 months or so) might want to share any experiences of learning and playing Mac songs.

I've really only learnt four - Landslide, NGBA, Songbird (albeit as played by Eva Cassidy) and Crystal, but there was always that little euraka moment when I finally got the fingering sussed. I'm an ex-cellist, but even so, I always just sighed with admiration whenever I listened to Lindsey play NGBA wondering how he did that so effortlessly. When I figured out how to read guitar tab and spent just about every evening for a fortnight practising until it became as intuitive as walking it almost lost its magic, not that I'm not addicted to playing (and singing) the damned thing....

Something similar happened when I finally figured out that little solo in the middle of Landslide. I watched Lindsey again in the videos again and read his expression - " huh, they're applauding me for THIS?"

Anyone else had a similar experience?

PS I must admit, I've not yet been able to cover Thoughts on a grey day
Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's so cool to read about another guitarist here on the Ledge.

Although I grew up having guitars (mostly cheap ones) around,
it wasn't until maybe a little over twenty years ago that I purchased
one of the Fleetwood Mac songbooks. And that really began my
journey as a guitarist.

I can't read music but the book I bought had the guitar chords
printed above the lyrics. I can remember sitting on my living
room floor and playing the first few chords to Gold Dust Woman.
That was the first time I really heard myself playing something
that sounded like the record. It was a life changing experience.

I wish more people would try to play. While it's difficult to be
a great guitarist, it's not so hard to become sufficient enough
to where you can really enjoy it.

So...
1. Buy an acoustic guitar (doesn't need to be expensive).
2. Buy a tuner.
3. Buy a chord book.
4. Buy a songbook of your favorite artist that has the chords printed out.
5. Practice, Practice, Practice.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, the only songs I can play complete are Bleed to love Her, Landslide and Sweet Girl, and the solos in Over my Head. And I'm still fighting with Big Love and NGBA. The only way I can learn is watching videos on YT, but I learned BTLH with chords I found on the web.
Yes, I don't know about music. I can't read music, but I really enjoy time playing what I know.
Then I learned other songs, but now I play them with the electric guitar. The Chain, Dreams, Everywhere, Tusk, I'm So Afraid (except for the "speedy" part of the end solo), WMYTYTO, and Monday Morning.
It's hard, but as iamnotafraid said, it's all about practice, practice, practice...
Regards!
Mark.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would really try to persevere with learning to read guitar tab. It makes more sense for learning a guitar song than normal musical manuscript, which I wouldn't be able to get my head around (although I did for the piano and cello!).

This is the tab I used for learning NGBA

http://www.guitaretab.com/f/fleetwood-mac/6484.html

Just keep at it, over and over and you'll get there, taking it apart, slowly at first and speeding up. I've compared it to following a knitting pattern, as at some point your fingers will know what to do without you having to think about it. It's an oddly relaxing feeling.

I guess part of the thing that puts people off with learning the guitar is going through the pain barrier of the steel strings and forming barre chords. Trust me, it doesn't take that long for the fingers to harden up and your patience will be rewarded.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

I started playing guitar five-six years ago, at the age of twelve. Never played with a pick (and this choice was before knowing the Mac, Lindsey, Mark Knopfler and others). I can't read music, but I would like to learn (but I guess I'm too lazy).
I learned to play various songs of the band, maybe one day I'll find the courage to record some covers.

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vincerò non ci son santi. "
Old 09-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwind View Post
I started playing guitar five-six years ago, at the age of twelve. Never played with a pick (and this choice was before knowing the Mac, Lindsey, Mark Knopfler and others). I can't read music, but I would like to learn (but I guess I'm too lazy).
I learned to play various songs of the band, maybe one day I'll find the courage to record some covers.
Hey, I'm on the same situation! I don't like the pick, is just...uncomfortable for me to play. And I can't read music too!
I want to play some covers on a studio, but I really want to find the ideal time to do it. Meanwhile, I'm ending with This Nearly Was Mine.
Regards!
Old 09-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just started learning guitar- I am using a pick now, but I think I'll end up preferring finger picking. I also just learned how to read tabs and I'm really excited to learn chords soon--I would love to learn how to play Landslide!