Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Ledgie

Default Stevie vs Lindsey?

Ok, so I'm new to this board and I try to read up on all the great stuff u guys post. Maybe I am opening a can of worms with this question but here goes.

It seems like there are sides in the FM world, Stevie fans not liking Lindsey or Lindsey fans not liking Stevie... Like there's a team Stevie and a team Lindsey... I guess my question is why???

I'm over here like "why aren't they together!?"

Any thoughts on the matter? Like I said sorry if I opened a can if worms!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by getTusked View Post
Ok, so I'm new to this board and I try to read up on all the great stuff u guys post. Maybe I am opening a can of worms with this question but here goes.

It seems like there are sides in the FM world, Stevie fans not liking Lindsey or Lindsey fans not liking Stevie... Like there's a team Stevie and a team Lindsey... I guess my question is why???

Are you asking about lindsey fans not being into stevie's music and vice versa, or not liking their personnas?

Also if you are talking music, I think it was very different when they started 40 years ago - they seem to have evolved into very different directions musically over the years.

I think there is also a separate question about liking or not liking people who are fans of one of the other.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Ledgie

I think, and maybe I am perceiving it wrong, but it just seems that there are Stevie fans who just flat out don't like Lindsey! I'm not sure if its musically or about the personas. I guess it seems more against Linds than Stevie. And I would love to hear why!

Once again I know that's not the case with everyone. I just think it would be interesting to hear that debate!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ha! Well, now you've done it! LOL.

Have to say - there's a lot more Lindsey fans who dislike Stevie for whatever reason - personal, musical, etc.

I think a lot of the fan side choosing stems way back to the past when they were still ill at each other over their break up, Lindsey not wanting to work on her songs and being resentful of her solo career, etc. Also, the fact that they are both opinionated and as Stevie says "tangle a lot" and the now infamous Destiny Rules argument over Stevie's incorrect use of a pronoun and the business stuff (which was really just them talking over each other and saying the same thing... lol). All of that leads to die-hards taking sides in addition to preferring either Stevie or Lindsey as solo artists.

Personally, I think it's obvious that no argument they ever get into will ever sever their relationship for good at this point. And, I really like their work as individual artists, but I absolutely prefer the music they do together.

BUCKINGHAM NICKS!

Last edited by CADreaming; 08-26-2013 at 11:27 AM..
Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I think, and maybe I am perceiving it wrong, but it just seems that there are Stevie fans who just flat out don't like Lindsey! I'm not sure if its musically or about the personas. I guess it seems more against Linds than Stevie. And I would love to hear why!

Once again I know that's not the case with everyone. I just think it would be interesting to hear that debate!
I am a fan of both Stevie and Lindsey. As you may guess, Lindsey is my favorite member of FM.

I have had more than one fan of Stevie's not get why I like LB. To some Stevie fans, I really think they feel that Lindsey is/was holding Stevie back. They don't always like the job Lindsey does on Stevie's songs for FM albums. One example that comes to mind is the SYW version of 'Smile At You'. I had Stevie fans telling me they hated what Lindsey 'did to it' and felt that it was better in the demo form.

By the way, I Love your screenname!

Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I have had more than one fan of Stevie's not get why I like LB. To some Stevie fans, I really think they feel that Lindsey is/was holding Stevie back. They don't always like the job Lindsey does on Stevie's songs for FM albums. One example that comes to mind is the SYW version of 'Smile At You'. I had Stevie fans telling me they hated what Lindsey 'did to it' and felt that it was better in the demo form.
Which to me doesn't make sense when you compare to all of the other songs he molded into either hits or fan favorites.

Stevie herself has recognized this.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

I think there is also a separate question about liking or not liking people who are fans of one of the other.
I love you no matter how wrong you are!!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well all I can say is I'm a dyed in the wool Lindsey fan. I definitely don't hide it. Doesn't mean I don't Respect Stevie. I most certainly do. It''s just what Lindsey creates appeals to me more. However back in 2011 in the battle of the new releases.....Stevie actually took it for me. So ya never can tell

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 08-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Especially when Christine was in the band, there was Team Christine, too. And the Peter Green folks are every bit as diehard of cheerleaders as Stevie fans are.

I think the reason for all these camps is the fact each Mac singer/songwriter appeals to different parts of the brain, and also different personalities. People who love Lindsey tend to do so because of his masterful guitar and production skills. For Stevie fans, their love is more abstract... it's the way her lyrics & persona make you feel. Other folks are drawn to the effortless pop perfection of Christine. Then there are those who love the raw blues talent of Peter Green, and his tragic yet fascinating life story. There's something for everyone in Fleetwood Mac, hence why there are so many different factions of fans.

Not all of this is static, either. I started out 20 years ago as solely a fan of Stevie, yet I've grown to appreciate/love all 16 past & present members in their own way. I respect Lindsey much more as an artist these days than Stevie. I find Christine to be more consistent & easy to enjoy than either Stevie or Lindsey combined, too. I adore Bob Welch, and have even come to appreciate Bekka Bramlett's vocal talents. Fleetwood Mac is multidimensional; there's material for every mood, age, taste, etc.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Fleetwood Mac is multidimensional; there's material for every mood, age, taste, etc.
Great way to put it! That is why they are so timeless...

Growing up I loved Stevie and never really knew that much about Lindsey...but now I know how much of a brilliant musician/producer he is how can you not respect him? I like a lot of Lindsey's solo stuff and Stevie's as well...I just think they are way better together I am def team StevieandLindsey!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
By the way, I Love your screenname!

Thanks!! Love the pictures....I so want to rock a hot pink get tusked shirt at the next FM show I go to!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love you no matter how wrong you are!!
awww - right back at you

plus i'm always right anyway!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks!! Love the pictures....I so want to rock a hot pink get tusked shirt at the next FM show I go to!
you should do it!

Mimi wore "get tusked Lindsey" t-shirt at one of the meet&greets and he loved it

Old 08-26-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
awww - right back at you

plus i'm always right anyway!
lol... we just love different LB periods..
Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I just think they are way better together I am def team StevieandLindsey!
With the exception of the recent Extended Play, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Soldier's Angel was evocative of the musical chemistry Lindsey & Stevie had in the 1970s... I'm not sure how just a couple of years later the EP turned out so horribly (IMO, of course).