Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking For those who read the thank yous on ITM

I work for a firm of Financial Advisers and I look after all the crappy unsolicited emails we get.

Today I got one selling some damn rubbish we didn't want and it was from .......... Tim Butler!

Spooky or what!

Gail
Old 11-24-2004, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if that's THE Tim Butler. That would be so tempting for me to e-mail him back.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

what was he selling!? LOL
Old 11-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57

I wonder if that's THE Tim Butler. That would be so tempting for me to e-mail him back.
Oh God I think I would. I don't think I could restrain myself LOL. I have written a few people (in a lighthearted, non-frightening way!) who I've googled to see if they were 'the ones' that had the contact w/ FM. I'm still trying to track down the interviewer Laura Gross; the last Laura Gross I e-mailed actually knew who the other one was, but didn't have an e-mail address for her. I always thought she'd be a cool Q&A guest; she interviewed them so many times....

But I digress. I guess e-mailing Tim Butler would be a different can of beans than contacting Laura Gross!

-Lis
Old 11-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Oh God I think I would. I don't think I could restrain myself LOL. I have written a few people (in a lighthearted, non-frightening way!) who I've googled to see if they were 'the ones' that had the contact w/ FM. I'm still trying to track down the interviewer Laura Gross; the last Laura Gross I e-mailed actually knew who the other one was, but didn't have an e-mail address for her. I always thought she'd be a cool Q&A guest; she interviewed them so many times....

But I digress. I guess e-mailing Tim Butler would be a different can of beans than contacting Laura Gross!
Probably not, Lisa. I used to know Laura Gross. In fact, I was the one who got those cassette tapes right from Laura with those interviews on them. That was in 1987, when Fleetwood Mac was in town for the tour. A friend & I took Laura out for sushi & then to the concert. Laura wasn't all that tight with Fleetwood Mac -- certainly not an intimate or part of any inner circle. She was press, & part-time press at that. I think Mick & Stevie liked her a bit, but I don't think the others gave a damn.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Probably not, Lisa. I used to know Laura Gross. In fact, I was the one who got those cassette tapes right from Laura with those interviews on them. That was in 1987, when Fleetwood Mac was in town for the tour. A friend & I took Laura out for sushi & then to the concert. Laura wasn't all that tight with Fleetwood Mac -- certainly not an intimate or part of any inner circle. She was press, & part-time press at that. I think Mick & Stevie liked her a bit, but I don't think the others gave a damn.
Really?! How absolutely cool. I bow down to you for getting those interview tapes, they are amazing!!!!! Thanks for the info.

-Lis
Old 11-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I used to know Laura Gross. In fact, I was the one who got those cassette tapes right from Laura with those interviews on them.
In that case, thank you. Those interviews are terrific!
Old 11-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In that case, thank you. Those interviews are terrific!
I don't want thanks. I just want to voice my view that Gross wouldn't make all that good of a Q&A subject. From what I recall, she has less info about the band than virtually any ledgie, & she also seems (or seemed) to have trouble posing interesting questions.

"What keeps the precious part precious?" she asked each & every member of the band on separate occasions, as if it were some remarkable tool for plumbing the depths of their emotions. Good lord.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-27-2004, 06:31 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I don't want thanks. I just want to voice my view that Gross wouldn't make all that good of a Q&A subject. From what I recall, she has less info about the band than virtually any ledgie, & she also seems (or seemed) to have trouble posing interesting questions.

"What keeps the precious part precious?" she asked each & every member of the band on separate occasions, as if it were some remarkable tool for plumbing the depths of their emotions. Good lord.
She actually asked all the members the same list of questions (in 1987, soon beofre LB left?)-- Mick was interviewed by himself, and then Chris was w/ LB and John was w/ Stevie. I always thought she was compiling everyone's individual answers to those same questions because maybe the results would eventually have been edited into a 'group interview' type thing for the radio or something (which I guess never happened.)

She also interviewed them in that British 'FMac at 21', didn't she? The one w/ 2 small groups, all sitting on the couch-- Mick/Stevie/ Rick (IMO dreadfully boring....zzzzz) and Chris/John/Billy which I found much more interesting.... but maybe I'm just biased towards anything J and C have to say! Billy really didn't say much but that was good LOL. I guess they just looked comfortable....maybe Laura deserves some credit for making them feel that way...on the other hand Mick/Stevie/Rick looked like they all had poles up thier *sses.

Anyway- thanks for voicing your view, David. Now I'm not so annoyed that I could never track her down.

-Lis
Old 11-28-2004, 06:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
She actually asked all the members the same list of questions (in 1987, soon beofre LB left?)-- Mick was interviewed by himself, and then Chris was w/ LB and John was w/ Stevie. I always thought she was compiling everyone's individual answers to those same questions because maybe the results would eventually have been edited into a 'group interview' type thing for the radio or something (which I guess never happened.)

She also interviewed them in that British 'FMac at 21', didn't she? The one w/ 2 small groups, all sitting on the couch-- Mick/Stevie/ Rick (IMO dreadfully boring....zzzzz) and Chris/John/Billy which I found much more interesting.... but maybe I'm just biased towards anything J and C have to say! Billy really didn't say much but that was good LOL. I guess they just looked comfortable....maybe Laura deserves some credit for making them feel that way...on the other hand Mick/Stevie/Rick looked like they all had poles up thier *sses.

Anyway- thanks for voicing your view, David. Now I'm not so annoyed that I could never track her down.

-Lis
I'm a little confused. I was referring to the 1976 Fleetwood Mac interview & the 1982 Chris/Lindsey interview. That's what I thought David was talking about. Did Laura Gross interview them again in 1987?

Lis, I know what video you're thinking about. But, I don't think it's the Fleetwood Mac at 21 thing. That was a British TV documentary. I think you're referring to those 1988 interviews that they did to promote the Greatest Hits album. There was a woman interviewing them. Was that woman Laura Gross? Mick looks about as bad as I've ever seen him during those interviews. He looks like a corpse, like he's been embalmed.

By the way, I KNOW why you like the Chris/John/Billy interview more than the Mick/Stevie/Rick interview.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm a little confused. I was referring to the 1976 Fleetwood Mac interview & the 1982 Chris/Lindsey interview. That's what I thought David was talking about. Did Laura Gross interview them again in 1987?

Lis, I know what video you're thinking about. But, I don't think it's the Fleetwood Mac at 21 thing. That was a British TV documentary. I think you're referring to those 1988 interviews that they did to promote the Greatest Hits album. There was a woman interviewing them. Was that woman Laura Gross? Mick looks about as bad as I've ever seen him during those interviews. He looks like a corpse, like he's been embalmed.

By the way, I KNOW why you like the Chris/John/Billy interview more than the Mick/Stevie/Rick interview.
I think Laura did do some 87 interviews w/ them....? OK-The tapes I just dug up are w/ her are Mick 1983 (but I think that was actually 1982) and Linds/Chris in 1982, then John/Stevie in 1987. Hmmm I thought she did more in 87 but I guess I'm wrong. Although I think she still used the same questions as from the 1982 ones!

You're right about FM at 21; that was Trevor Dann, correct? Laura did those other ones in 1988 during the Greatest Hits time. I believe they list her name as the interviewer in the credits at the end. And I *totally* agree about Mick looking AWFUL, oh my goodness, that was a damn shame.

Yes Macfan I'm sure you do know why I like the C/J/B interview. There are too many parts that I love to even get into my favorites! Poor Billy wasn't even included in the camera shot for most of it; can't say I minded that... LOL. But it's great to hear what the other 2 had to say, they were so relaxed and it made me feel like I was sitting across the table from them in a restaurant or something and they were just chatting away...

I still think at some point somebody should have sat down w/ J/C/M and interviewed them together, because they can bounce off of/elaborate on each other's memories etc. Although Mick does tend to ramble on endlessly, which irritates the crap out of me. The other two are much more interesting and entertaining, and best of all they know when to shut up and move on to the next question.

-Lis
Old 11-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking The mysterious Tim Butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
what was he selling!? LOL
It was from Spot Communications - apparently they organise seminars and exhibitions.

Shall I reply and say "I don't want whatever it is you're selling but what does In the Meantime mean to you?"

Gail

PS here's the address tim@spotcomms.exvm.com
Old 11-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The unedited interview stuff from Laura is from June 1987 (Stevie with John, & Lindsey with Chris), another one with Lindsey & Chris in 1982, all five of them from 1976 in Los Angeles, Mick by himself in 1983, & the August 1987 press conference with Billy & Rick.

Parts of this material were used in radio & print interviews over the years.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
It was from Spot Communications - apparently they organise seminars and exhibitions.

Shall I reply and say "I don't want whatever it is you're selling but what does In the Meantime mean to you?"

Gail

ha ha ha!!! and then ask him put together a little seminar with all of us and chris. . . LOL
Old 11-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh

Gail

Well, that's 2 e-mail addresses for 2 presumably different Tim Butlers. Remember, Lis found another one on Google earlier this summer? I wonder how many Tim Butlers there are in the U.K.