User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by tommer
one is a list of worldwide sales and the other's US domestic sales only.
still, it doesn't explain how FM managed to gross only 0.2 mil.$ from their european leg of the tour.
I thought the same thing. That sort of rationale doesn't explain other anomalies. Will read John Run's insights later.

Merry Xmas all
Old 12-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, Simon & Garfunkel are incredible. They only started their tour in October. They couldn't have played more than 30 some shows. If these figures are correct, it looks like they're making over 2 million per show.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

EW posted an article about it..they have these stats :

1.) Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band $115.9 mill

2.) Celine Dion 80.5 mill

3.) Eagles 69.3 mill

4.) Fleetwood Mac 69 mill

like u said atleast everyone agrees on fleetwood mac's numbers lol

Chris
Old 12-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by WelshWitchPMD
Jake, it was Justin Timerlake/Christina Aguilera that I followed.
Sorry, one more example of me misunderstanding your cool accent.

- Jake
Old 12-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Even my parents went to see Simon and Garfunkel in Philly. They never go to concerts, especially when it means paying $150.
Of course, Simon and Garfunkel skipped Texas entirely.

- Jake
Old 12-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by WelshWitchPMD
But really I wonder how many crazy die hard fans do those other artists have? I knew of a few people that really love the Stones and The Boss but I don't know if they are as insane as I am with The Mac following them to different shows.
I have friends who follow Dave Matthews around and go to all of his shows on the West Coast. I've met other people too at DMB concerts who have seen many of their shows. Dave at least does a different concert every night as does Pearl Jam. I think Pearl Jam have a lot of followers too.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by John Run
Stevie and Lindsey get more because their agents got them more during negotiations with Concerts West and the band. Nothing to do with songwriting royalties per se. Has to do with the fact Stevie and Lindsey are the front men for the tour and without them there would be no million dollar per night grossing tour. The 50,000 per show guarantee is the most money Mick and John have realized from long term touring ever. This practice is common with established bands. Henley and Frey make more when the Eagles tour. The only money Christine now makes from Fleetwood mac are for songwriting royalities and album share payments for albums in which she was a member.
Fascinating! The thing I've been wondering is, does La Nicks make more money per show with Fleetwood Mac than she would if she was touring on her own like in 2001 or 1998? We know those tickets were less expensive and there were often smaller crowds, but then again she wouldn't have to split the cash with any other performer.
Maybe. But not with me or Christine or Lindsey. Christine and I will always be close; Lindsey just plain doesn't like me. I never had any musical training of any kind. I just had this innate ability to walk in, sit down at a piano, and write a song in five minutes, and go to bed. It drives him nuts. - Stevie Nicks, 1994
Old 12-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Ledgie

Default So who is richest?

This has all got me wondering who is the richest band member. I guess it would probably be Lindsey or Stevie, because of producer royalties and solo careers...but I'm just guessing. Do you have rich-lists in the States? We have them here in the UK all the time - especially at this time of the year. Have the US media ever speculated as to how rich the band members are?

Angela
x
Old 12-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know details of Stevie's touring contracts and guarantees for Enchanted or Trouble.

I do know that the 38 dates on Trouble grossed about 21 million.

The rest of this is guesswork by me, but probably reasonably accurate.

Cost per show was probably around 500k. Included in this was a gt of around 100k. Avg Gross Profit 50-100k per show. Most of that eaten by the promoter. With merchandising she probably made about 120k per show.

During the 70 US dates for Say You Will her average take was about 125k with profit taking. So her earnings per show are about the same. Fleetwood Mac can demand much higher prices and plays to large crowds. The shows gross more and are more profitable. This makes up for the 4 way split, although for her and Lindsey it is more like a 3 way split.

Fleetwood Mac can also do more extensive tours allowing for greater long term overall earnings.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would venture to say that Lindsey or Stevie are the richest band members...Mick had some bad money problems, and I'm not sure about John..
But Stevie having a successful solo career and great earnings with Fleetwood Mac...even though Lindsey has producing royalties as well, depending on how much she wasted, she should be the richest member..a lot of her songs are still getting royalties (A LA : LANDSLIDE)

Chris
Old 12-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read somewhere that Stevie made over $5 million off of the Dixie Chicks' remake of Landslide. She also has toured pretty much and on average every other year or so when you consider all of her tours since 1975. Finally, she has had many more solo ventures, all of which went gold or higher. So, I think the combination of those factors probably would offset any "extra" producing money LB made. But, then again, Stevie has said LB has more money because of the producing aspect (but that was pre-Dixie Chicks). I wonder if Stevie and LB sit around and compare balance sheets

Also, I am unsure of how the negotiations went down, but if I was La Nicks' agent, I would have "gone for the jugular" (hey - that is his job ) considering Stevie was on a succesful solo wave, she was the one that had to secured in the end, and history has shown without her, the record and concerts would not have sold as well. Interestingly, Stevie and FM may have some agreement that prohibits such "renegotiation" every time they make a record or at least since "The Dance."

In any event, I am just happy they are still putting it out for us to see and hear!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-29-2003, 07:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by golden braid
I have friends who follow Dave Matthews around and go to all of his shows on the West Coast. I've met other people too at DMB concerts who have seen many of their shows. Dave at least does a different concert every night as does Pearl Jam. I think Pearl Jam have a lot of followers too.
Absolutely!!

The Dave Matthews Band has a huge following. People fly coast to coast...pack up and set up camp...plan summer road trips around the band...If I had the money and didn't have a mortgage...hell, I'd be doing it too

Also, very rarely will DMB EVER repeat a setlist...each and every night you get a wonderful little something different that you weren't expecting...I've been to a few back to back shows and was blown away each time.

Pearl Jam has a large following too, and yes, they do vary their set list a great deal. I actually credit Eddie Vedder from getting me away from those "hair band boys"...when I first heard Ed sing I was floored...he was so 'brooding' and so beautiful. I still consider him one of the best out there.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My brother follows DMB, Radiohead and Pearl Jam everywhere he can and so does his friends.

Them and Metallica all have the biggest following, but none as big as Bruce.

When he comes to Philly, you just don't understand how crazy it is. Even the rap stations play something Bruce and give away tickets LOL. I guess it's this way everywhere?? I'm guessing there is really no one bigger ( U2 probably comes close...)

I'm just happy at how well FM did!

I'm also guessing Stevie is the richest as well. She could easily put out a clothing line or make up or a furniture line. People would buy it and she would definitely make tons more money, especially a clothing line..NOW..it's almost too late. Her clothes were really in! That would have assured her some more $$. I'm surprised she never did that, but it's cool...I respect her for not doing it ( even though if she did I wouldn't disrespect her!)
Old 12-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ShangriLaTroubl
I would venture to say that Lindsey or Stevie are the richest band members...Mick had some bad money problems, and I'm not sure about John..
Christine being a songwriter was miles ahead of John and Mick.

In the 1998 Q list of richest British rockers. Chris came in at number 34 with 25 million pounds while Mick and John were in the 80s with 3 or 4 million.

http://www.lemec.net/welcome.html?page=/hot260501.html

Things will have changed with this tour but Chris probably still has more than Mick or John.

Stevie must be the richest.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Alright Chris! Kids, hone those songwriting skills, and be 10 times richer than the owner of the band
Old 12-30-2003, 09:48 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.