User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by BklynBlue
His rage has been reduced to resignation; the stinging accusations of the originals guitar solo has been turned into unflinching introspection.
You hit it right on the head, BklynBlue - resignation. I don't know that I've ever heard that feeling expressed so powerfully as on his In The Skies version of "A Fool No More".
Old 02-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Ledgie

Default Little Dreamer vs. In The Skies

Quote:
I think I would almost recommend Little Dreamer over In The Skies...or like they insinuate on those Petco commercials..."get both!"

ChiliD, I do value your recommendation but I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit more why you might pick Little Dreamer slightly over In The Skies. I think I noticed that Little Dreamer was released sometime in the early 90s, maybe shortly before the Splinter Group was formed. Some of the samples I've heard of PGSG seem to indicate that Peter's voice had gotten rougher and lost some of it's sharpness over time. I was wondering if his vocals had maintained the same level from In The Skies to the Little Dreamer album?

Is Little Dreamer Peter completely solo or does he use another guitarist, like Snowy White, to accompany him? Is it the flow and style of Little Dreamer that might give it a slight nod over In The Skies. I'm just curious about any stylistic difference between In The Skies and Little Dreamer. It looks like In The Skies is OOP but I'm sure copies may pop up on eBay if I decide to go that route! I've enjoyed reading everyone's input on this!

Last edited by greenfire; 02-20-2004 at 05:24 PM..
Old 02-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe it was released on CD in the 90's, but, Little Dreamer was actually Peter's 1980 follow-up album to 1978's In The Skies.

Pretty much the same musicians on both albums.

To me, Little Dreamer sounds a bit more focused and Peter sounds a bit more confident, than on its predecessor.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

To me "In The Skies" is more PETER's album. It is HIS songs, and the funky musical direction HE wanted to do.

"Little Dreamer" (which by the way is a beautiful album title) and "Whatcha Gonna Do" are songs written by his brother. This was because Peter didn't have much new songs when the record company wanted a follow up to "In The Skies". "LD" and "WGD" are very similar in style, and to me they are like volume 1 and 2.

However, my feeling is that the people around Peter wanted him to play more blues, since that was what he had done in the past...

Peter's playing on "LD" is more laid back than on "ITS", and the song "Little Dreamer" (which Peter wrote) is one of his best tracks ever! "WGD" also has great playing, especially "Lost My Love" and "Bullet In The Sky", and his solo on "Bizzy Lizzy" sounds so ... happy!

But as ChiliD said, the thing to do is to get BOTH albums, plus "Whatcha Gonna Do".

What do you folks think of "White Sky" ?
Old 02-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

By the way, Snowy does not play on "Little Dreamer", "Whatcha Gonna Do" or any other of Peter's album of that era. There are rythm guitarists on the records, but all of the lead is by Peter.