Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-07-2004, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 1974 lineup

So, after getting hooked up with the live 1974 Hempstead, NY, and Sausalito recordings,and listening for the past 2 weeks, were FM just a 4 piece live? I swear, on a couple songs, I can hear more than two hands of keyboards. Did they have hidden keyboard players back that far in time? These recordings are wonderful,btw!
At the TITN tour, I got yelled at by security, because before the house lights went down, there was a huge keyboard rig off the side of the stage, and I was rubbernecking, taking in all mental notes of the gear that I could. That's when I realized you don't always see what you hear.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

On the Sausalito boot, Bobby Hunt played Hammond Organ, ARP synthesizer & clavinet. I believe he was an old friend of Bob Welch. On the Hempstead boot, Doug Graves played the other keyboards. Christine played ONLY electric piano & grand piano. According to Mick's book, he mentioned that they used another keyboard player for live concerts. But, I believe he said that they did that for only a limited number of shows, because it didn't work out. I have a very poor quality boot of another Heroes show and Doug Graves played keyboards on that one, too. I'm not sure if and when they eventually went back to a 4 piece band during that tour. I think they sounded terrific with both piano & organ together.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool, thanks. I knew, especially in the days before MIDI, that I was hearing more than Chris could play by herself.
Thanks for addicting me to these shows. I can't stop listening to them.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
On the Sausalito boot, Bobby Hunt played Hammond Organ, ARP synthesizer & clavinet. I believe he was an old friend of Bob Welch.
Actually, Bobby Hunt was the keyboard player for Bob's pre-Mac band, Head West.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Hey, what's the deal with that song listed there called "Victoria"? That one's not on the Head West album (at least not the copy I have). It looks like that was a single with the track "Changes" on the B-side (which WAS on the HW album). Am I right in thinking this (that it was a single)? Please elaborate with label, catalog number, etc. so I (& others) can add it to out wish lists! Thanks in advance.

John
Old 02-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Hey, what's the deal with that song listed there called "Victoria"? That one's not on the Head West album (at least not the copy I have). It looks like that was a single with the track "Changes" on the B-side (which WAS on the HW album). Am I right in thinking this (that it was a single)? Please elaborate with label, catalog number, etc. so I (& others) can add it to out wish lists! Thanks in advance.

John
I wish I could tell you more. I don't have either the album or the single, and I'm not really inclined to spend over $45 on rare Mac stuff. I happened to see the single on ebay last week and decided I had to save the image. The seller DID say that "Victoria" was a non-album cut.

THE Stephen Hopkins