Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-29-2003, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question 1971-1974 live recordings?

Are there any live recordings of the band during the 1971-1974 era, after Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer left but before Stevie and Lindsey joined?
I've never once seen one mentioned anywhere. But I'm a fan of this period in the band's history _ especially Danny and Christine's work _ and I'd love to get my hands on a recording.
Many thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 06:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, there are 2 studio bootlegs from the Heroes line-up in 1974, Sausalito, CA & Hempstead, NY. I have both of these and they are terrific! They are soundboard recordings, so the sound quality is excellent, in my opinion.

I have also just very recently received 2 additional audience recordings, one from the Bare Trees tour & the other from the Heroes tour. These are actually audience recordings. Unfortunately, the sound quality of these boots is EXTREMELY poor. There are other boots from this period that have circulated through the years. Unfortunately, most of the people that have these boots are no longer trading.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Ledgie

Another question, is the set list the same between Sausalito & Hempstead or are these two recordings quite different, setlist & performance wise? Does anyone prefer one over the other? Also, I'm thinking the Sausalito recording is the one a.k.a. Bermuda Triangle, so is the Hempstead recording, a.k.a. Will The Real Fleetwood Mac Please Stand Up?...just throwing this out, I have no clue. ChiliD, you mentioned that the WTRFMPSU included more songs, "Believe Me" was one, but I thought it was still from Sausalito?

How does a recording like this get out to circulate...bootleg...if this is the appropriate term? Is it because of an indescretion by some studio engineer? or other, any ideas? Wouldn't it make sense for Reprise to release these and stop the bootlegging of these recordings, or cost wise they deem in non-profitable, not enough units would sell? I'm assuming now that it is Reprise that holds the master tape of these, any ideas?

How did the Grateful Dead do it? They actually encourage taping of their shows. I heard someone mention that, that sort of idea would encourage the record companies to also record the show to compete with the bootlegged version. However, the cost of releasings wouldn't be profitable, but maybe releasing the best performance from a single tour might compete with the bootleggers. Some of the Grateful Deads, are available as Dick's Picks named after the renowned late Deadhead Dick Latvala, who had a massive collection of Dead concerts he recorded. The Grateful Dead eventually hired him as their official archivist. Maybe those poorer quality FM audience recordings could gain a similar release, but we don't know how poor the recordings of these are and would anyone be interested? Has anyone heard a live version of "Future Games", I've heard it was really something, and most likely on the Bare Tree's audience recording?

I'm only speculating on these things and hoping to generate some feed back. Thanks for listening!

"The Earth is good, why do we abuse it?"...Ray Thomas
Old 01-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are the set lists for the 2 Heroes boots:

Sausalito, CA

Green Manalishi
Angel
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Sentimental Lady
Future Games
Bermuda Triangle
Why
Believe Me
Black Magic Woman
Oh Well
Rattlesnake Shake
Hypnotized

Hempstead, NY

Green Manalishi
Spare Me A Little Of Your Love
Sentimental Lady
Future Games
Bermuda Triangle
Why
Angel
Homeward Bound
Rattlesnake Shake
Hypnotized
Black Magic Woman

I have no idea how these boots began circulating. I've heard they originated in Japan. I saw a trader's website that mentioned this. It's very frustrating about the new audience recorded boots that I just received. There are a whole bunch of songs on these boots that I've never heard live. There's even a very different version of "I Loved Another Woman". It's a duet between Bob Welch & Christine. It's nothing like the Peter Green or Rick Vito versions. Unfortunately, the sound quality of both boots is pretty bad. I would grade them both as C-/D quality. I would assume most of the audience recordings from this time are probably just about as bad. I'd be happy to burn CDs for anyone, but the quality is just bad.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hempstead NY is NOT "aka Will The Real Fleetwood Mac Please Stand Up?"...WTRFMPSU is/was/always will be the Sausalito recording that was broadcast on a King Biscuit Flower Hour special. The Bermuda Triangle CD is the truncated version of that.

The Hempstead recording is an acutal LIVE show in front of an audience.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

The Hempstead recording is an acutal LIVE show in front of an audience.
No, but I think that Hempstead is still a studio recording. I don't think it's an actual live show. It sounds like the audience may be friends & crew, something similar to the "Who's The New Girl" bootleg from 1975.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Ledgie

"The "Bermuda Triangle" CD is taken from the exact same performances (from the Record Plant Sausalito) as the 2-LP set "WTRFMPSU", however, the CD omits "Black Magic Woman", "Oh Well", "Believe Me", "Cliff Davis Blooze" (which is the introduction of the band over a blues vamp), and "Rattlesnake Shake"."....ChiliD

Macfan57, Thanks for including the two set lists. From ChiliD's info, I guess your Sausalito is really the WTRFMPSU. Sorry ChiliD, I didn't mean to second guess you. I know you talked about this in the other thread. I just get a little confused sometimes and now with three, Hempstead, Sausalito-WTRFMPSU & Sausalito-Bermuda Triangle, (truncated WTRFMPSU). Does it sound like I have it now? ChiliD, thanks for making it really clear.

Macfan57, do you hear the audience on your Hempstead, NY version or do you prefer one to the other? I've noticed that in the discography section of the Penguin, they do list both Bermuda Triangle and WTRFMPSU, also showing some artwork. Do the copies you have also have artwork? or you ChiliD? Someone took the time to give these boots artwork, wayback, when they were only on LP. Did that artwork carry over to the cds? I do like it!

I happened to notice two auctions currently going on eBay, Macfan57 or ChiliD or anyone else? What do you make of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1573

This looks like the Sausalito-Bermuda Triangle? any thoughts, starting bid is $14.95

Ok, this one looks really interesting, here it is titled Homeward Bound?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2584909300

Now, can't remember the alternate setlist, but do you think these are both Sausalito 1974 recordings? I noticed neither Bermuda Triangle or WTRFMPSU include "Homeward Bound". Anythoughts on this? This is also listed for $14.95. Has anyone seen these covers before? I would really like to hear what you guys think of this? Thanks for listening!

edit: Macfan57, I just noticed your reply to ChiliD regarding the audience on Hempstead. Did you like the presence of the audience or prefer Sausalito recording?

2nd edit: Macfan57, I just noticed that "Homeward" bound is on the Hempstead recording, I was going on the assumption it wasn't. So yeah, that boot is obviously "Hempstead". Sorry, my error!

"The Earth is good, why do we abuse it?"...Ray Thomas

Last edited by greenfire; 01-03-2004 at 05:58 PM..
Old 01-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

greenfire, yes I believe the first auction is for the Bermuda Triangle boot and I'm pretty sure the second auction(Homeward Bound)is for the Hempstead boot since the set list that the seller listed is the exact same set list as my Hempstead boot. I got my CDs from a trader and since most traders don't provide artwork, I have no artwork for either boot. As for whether you should buy these boots, it is really up to you. I did a 2 for 1 trade for these boots, so I just sent the trader 4 CDs plus postage & a mailer. It is really up to you which way you're comfortable. It is definitely cheaper to trade rather than to buy. But, if getting artwork for the boots is important then eBay is probably the way to go for you. If you're interested, I could burn copies of both of my boots for you. Just send me a private message, if you're interested.

By the way, I have no preference for either the Sausalito or Hempstead boots. I am just happy to have ANYTHING from this time period. Both have great sound quality and they are both soundboard recordings. The audience doesn't make a difference to me, although as I said in my earlier post, I believe this is not a concert. The audience is made up of crew & friends. I think at some point, Bob even makes a joke about pretending this is a gig.