The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #136  
Old 09-26-2019, 12:48 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,144
Default

He also put a motor home in his driveway to save wear and tear on his house whilst recording said album, oh, and yeah, to give Mick a place to meet his drug dealers and, if he were still couch-surfing, a place likely to sleep.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 09-26-2019, 12:57 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
He also put a motor home in his driveway to save wear and tear on his house whilst recording said album, oh, and yeah, to give Mick a place to meet his drug dealers and, if he were still couch-surfing, a place likely to sleep.
And that's probably WHY he was under strain during those recording sessions.

People have selective memory. And it's fascinating.
__________________
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 09-26-2019, 07:08 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 3,018
Default

I just commented about the "Stevie never cared for the band the way Lindsey did/still does", and not defending Stevie or anybody. Lindsey left the band in 1987, and that's a fact. I'm not selective in my memories. And I'm not critizing him. He had reasons. Was Tango album that good because he produced it? Sure. Because of Chris singles? Sure. Did he care about the Tango tour success if he left the band? I guess not. Was he a bad guy for that reason? I wouldn't say that.

I just think no one was always 100% innocent in this story. But I'm not surprised about people getting upset about this topic. After 17 months, even the ďWhy Iím Done with Fleetwood MacĒ generates 64 posts so... seems we are not done at all, actually. Well, if drama and tension were always present in Fleetwood Mac, why can't they be in us too?

Speaking for myself, after a several months hiatus (of course because of the april 2018 episode), I'm started to enjoy again listening occasionally my old Rumours lineup material, and that's it. Not interested in the present band nor its future. And not interested in hating any of them; it would give them importance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 09-26-2019, 08:29 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I just commented about the "Stevie never cared for the band the way Lindsey did/still does", and not defending Stevie or anybody. Lindsey left the band in 1987, and that's a fact. I'm not selective in my memories. And I'm not critizing him. He had reasons. Was Tango album that good because he produced it? Sure. Because of Chris singles? Sure. Did he care about the Tango tour success if he left the band? I guess not. Was he a bad guy for that reason? I wouldn't say that.

I just think no one was always 100% innocent in this story. But I'm not surprised about people getting upset about this topic. After 17 months, even the ďWhy Iím Done with Fleetwood MacĒ generates 64 posts so... seems we are not done at all, actually. Well, if drama and tension were always present in Fleetwood Mac, why can't they be in us too?

Speaking for myself, after a several months hiatus (of course because of the april 2018 episode), I'm started to enjoy again listening occasionally my old Rumours lineup material, and that's it. Not interested in the present band nor its future. And not interested in hating any of them; it would give them importance.
I donít get whereís the relevance in Lindsey leaving the band in 1987 with my comment about him caring more for the band than Stevie. She also left the band in 1990, and thatís also a fact. Touring means money, so yeah, Stevie and Mick definitely cared about touring. Lindsey lost money by leaving the band before touring. If anything, he gained integrity by leaving the band an album they can tour and make money with.

I will never get over what these a$$holes did to Lindsey, especially because he did nothing to deserve it, and thatís also a fact, because in no way are these people protecting him.
__________________
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 09-27-2019, 12:02 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,244
Default

But caring about tour success is not the same as caring about its legacy. I don’t think he cared about the Tango tour success, but he did care about the album and he said that he was happy that he left the band in a more creative place than he thought Mirage left it. I don’t agree with him. I love Mirage. But the fact is, he was trying to do right by the band’s reputation with Tango. Yes he cared about it. The success of the tour has nothing to do with his feelings about the music Fleetwood Mac put out and the reputation they garnered or his loyalties. I think him showing up at Mick’s wedding said something about where his heart was.

But no he didn’t care about tour crowds or tour money at that point. He has always thought of tours as a means to an end. The money he makes on the tours allows him financial freedom. He cares on that account. But I don’t know what caring about the Tango tour box office means as a measure of commitment. The tour is over and forgotten. The Tango music lives with us.

Last edited by michelej1; 09-27-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 09-27-2019, 01:05 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But caring about tour success is not the same as caring about its legacy. I don’t think he cared about the Tango tour success, but he did care about the album and he said that he was happy that he left the band in a more creative place than he thought Mirage left it. I don’t agree with him. I love Mirage. But the fact is, he was trying to do right by the band’s reputation with Tango. Yes he cared about it. The success of the tour has nothing to do with his feelings about the music Fleetwood Mac put out and the reputation they garnered or his loyalties. I think him showing up at Mick’s wedding said something about where his heart was.

But no he didn’t care about tour crowds or tour money at that point. He has always thought of tours as a means to an end. The money he makes on the tours allows him financial freedom. He cares on that account. But I don’t know what caring about the Tango tour box office means as a measure of commitment. The tour is over and forgotten. The Tango music lives with us.

This is the bit Stevie forgets. Or, just doesn't care about anymore because her writing has mostly dried up.

She did her recording bit years ago. She will let those albums speak for her for eternity and just let them be the fodder for the money-making tours until she drops.

She sees zero need for new music on her own or with the band. Why put in all that effort when there's no money in it? As far as she's concerned, her legacy is set (thanks in large part to Lindsey, and Jimmy, and to some extent Tom). It's done. She's a legend. Mission accomplished. On to the next presidential suite.
__________________

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 09-27-2019 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 09-27-2019, 01:15 PM
sleepless child's Avatar
sleepless child sleepless child is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 574
Default

Unfortunately, I see Stevie as a lonely person whose only joy in life is being on stage. There is no husband or children. She has family, but it's not the same as John, Mick and Lindsey. Even Chris admits she got stir crazy after years of living alone not working in her home in England.

This band did Lindsey so wrong. I just watched the Buck/McVie documentary and it just makes me so mad at the rest of the group for siding with Stevie. It's just hard to get over it.
__________________

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 09-27-2019, 10:03 PM
BLY BLY is online now
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 1,426
Default

This band did Lindsey so wrong. I just watched the Buck/McVie documentary and it just makes me so mad at the rest of the group for siding with Stevie. It's just hard to get over it.[/QUOTE]

I agree after watching the Buck/McVie doc it makes all of this even harder to digest. I still stand by...I’m happy for the music I have got from these folks, It’s more than I expected. The legacy is what it is.........Rock on!
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 09-28-2019, 01:18 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,144
Default

Reminds me of LB's comments about her and all of this late last year:


STEREOGUM: I read you havenít spoken to any of them since then.

BUCKINGHAM: I havenít spoken to any of them. Once we signed some papers a few weeks ago, I did hear from Christine in an email, as I expected to. I know Mick would probably like to, but I think heís too embarrassed and just a little too weak-willed to do it. I wonít hear from Stevie because it was all her trip anyway. Again, I just have to forgive them because itís really just Stevie being so needy for a certain kind of attention and maybe not wanting to compete with the vitality that I have.

STEREOGUM: Do you think youíll ever end up back with the band?

BUCKINGHAM: Look, itís Fleetwood Mac, anythingís possible. Maybe theyíll get it out of their system. If they ask me to come back, would I? Sure, because to me I think the lack of a proper farewell tour, if thatís what weíre doing, that doesnít undercut, like I say, the legacy that we have so carefully built as the five of us, which theyíre not doing right now. I donít know what theyíre doing. Itís a cover band kind of deal, and Stevie may be enjoying that, and thatís fine. If she is happy doing that, there is no one outcome that I think is going to be okay. The way I look at it is itís giving me an opportunity to do some things in a more rapid-fire way with some new people who actually care about what Iím doing and not just about getting the money from Fleetwood Mac. Look, I mean it does make me question who these people are, but again, to look at it compassionately, I think itís all coming from a lack of perspective and to some degree a certain weakness on their parts. I canít stop loving them because of that.

https://www.stereogum.com/2025688/li...ses/interview/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 09-28-2019, 02:01 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Reminds me of LB's comments about her and all of this late last year:


STEREOGUM: I read you havenít spoken to any of them since then.

BUCKINGHAM: I havenít spoken to any of them. Once we signed some papers a few weeks ago, I did hear from Christine in an email, as I expected to. I know Mick would probably like to, but I think heís too embarrassed and just a little too weak-willed to do it. I wonít hear from Stevie because it was all her trip anyway. Again, I just have to forgive them because itís really just Stevie being so needy for a certain kind of attention and maybe not wanting to compete with the vitality that I have.

STEREOGUM: Do you think youíll ever end up back with the band?

BUCKINGHAM: Look, itís Fleetwood Mac, anythingís possible. Maybe theyíll get it out of their system. If they ask me to come back, would I? Sure, because to me I think the lack of a proper farewell tour, if thatís what weíre doing, that doesnít undercut, like I say, the legacy that we have so carefully built as the five of us, which theyíre not doing right now. I donít know what theyíre doing. Itís a cover band kind of deal, and Stevie may be enjoying that, and thatís fine. If she is happy doing that, there is no one outcome that I think is going to be okay. The way I look at it is itís giving me an opportunity to do some things in a more rapid-fire way with some new people who actually care about what Iím doing and not just about getting the money from Fleetwood Mac. Look, I mean it does make me question who these people are, but again, to look at it compassionately, I think itís all coming from a lack of perspective and to some degree a certain weakness on their parts. I canít stop loving them because of that.

https://www.stereogum.com/2025688/li...ses/interview/
Clearly Lindsey is a very compassionate human being. Not only would I never ever want to work with them again (although I doubt they will ask him to), but I also could never ever forgive them.

They don't deserve him.
__________________
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 09-28-2019, 06:14 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 11,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Clearly Lindsey is a very compassionate human being. Not only would I never ever want to work with them again (although I doubt they will ask him to), but I also could never ever forgive them.

They don't deserve him.
WHY would he go back? More for the paycheck, or more for the star trip, playing to filled arenas?

F*ck them. He should tell them that. Then throw rocks at them. Did I mention, "F*CK THEM"?

The true payback should be him writing a SCATHING tell all book about the stupid old goat. That's what $he deserves!
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 09-29-2019, 09:30 AM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
WHY would he go back? More for the paycheck, or more for the star trip, playing to filled arenas?

F*ck them. He should tell them that. Then throw rocks at them. Did I mention, "F*CK THEM"?

The true payback should be him writing a SCATHING tell all book about the stupid old goat. That's what $he deserves!
Why would he go back? The paycheck is alluring. But I think his main reason would be to rehabilitate the damaged legacy of the band, something he cares deeply about. Lindsey isnít stupid: he loves his solo work but knows much of his posterity and reputation is tied to FM. It matters to him that the band is remembered for vitality, excellence, and purpose. Yes, what the four have done to him is awful and inexcusable, but I get the sense heíd overlook it (or, more accurately, leverage it) should the band ever reunite and attempt new music. As unlikely as that is, thereís a much stronger chance that Lindsey would want to than Stevie...sheís the saboteur here.
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 09-29-2019, 09:56 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 11,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Why would he go back? The paycheck is alluring. But I think his main reason would be to rehabilitate the damaged legacy of the band, something he cares deeply about. Lindsey isnít stupid: he loves his solo work but knows much of his posterity and reputation is tied to FM. It matters to him that the band is remembered for vitality, excellence, and purpose. Yes, what the four have done to him is awful and inexcusable, but I get the sense heíd overlook it (or, more accurately, leverage it) should the band ever reunite and attempt new music. As unlikely as that is, thereís a much stronger chance that Lindsey would want to than Stevie...sheís the saboteur here.
I can't imagine anyone(unless they were absolutely desperate for the money) ever going back, after being treated like this.

$he doesn't want to stand on the same stage as him, ever again....

How could HE ever want to stand on the same stage again, with that back stabbing bi*ch?
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 09-29-2019, 11:14 AM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 2,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I can't imagine anyone(unless they were absolutely desperate for the money) ever going back, after being treated like this.

$he doesn't want to stand on the same stage as him, ever again....

How could HE ever want to stand on the same stage again, with that back stabbing bi*ch?
It's not about being on the same stage with her again. I'm sure that's the worst part of coming back (IF they EVER ask him to come back. Because I'm sure they won't). But he did NOTHING wrong, so he naturally wants to have one last chance with FM. For him and for the fans.

But $tevie will never allow it. That will diminish her power. Yes, she's that sick.
__________________
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 10-15-2019, 10:08 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Oh, but she ďlovesĒ him! Thatís why she mentioned the guitar incident. Iím sure there are equally colorful anecdotes about Stevieís temper, but she conveniently forgot to mention them.
no, more like because HE was too discreet to blab them to the press the way she does about him. And probably partly because he still loved her for so long after she dumped him and moved on and hoped she might come back. We see how well that worked out.

He has however not shied away from taking his shots through criticisms of her work, which honestly seems fair game to me. They worked together, he was her producer, he can be honest about where her songs were lacking and how much work he had to do to make them hits.

She on the other hand can only go for the personal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$99.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER pictureFLEETWOOD MAC 24X36 POSTER STEVIE NICKS MICK LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM JOHN MCVIE
$29.0
FLEETWOOD MAC 24X36 POSTER STEVIE NICKS MICK LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM JOHN MCVIE pictureFLEETWOOD MAC 24X36 POSTER STEVIE NICKS MICK LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM JOHN MCVIE POSE
$29.0
FLEETWOOD MAC 24X36 POSTER STEVIE NICKS MICK LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM JOHN MCVIE POSE pictureWire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Wire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picturePress Photo Rock Bass Player John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Press Photo Rock Bass Player John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved