User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Well, aside from that, I was also referring to her previous tendency to sing with anyone, anywhere, anytime, and to make a bunch of stuff up on stage even with her old chestnuts.
amber it was really cool at a certain point way back because stevie went to all her friends' concerts at clubs or wherever & "helped out."

I think when you get older you just get less freaky. That happens to all of us, doesn't it? I won't ride some rollercoasters nowadays that I used to ride when I was 17.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
amber it was really cool at a certain point way back because stevie went to all her friends' concerts at clubs or wherever & "helped out."

I think when you get older you just get less freaky. That happens to all of us, doesn't it? I won't ride some rollercoasters nowadays that I used to ride when I was 17.
I guess. Not with singing, though. I wouldn't consider changing a setlist or a vocal "freaky".

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Is he doing Sweet Betsy From Pike, do you know?
He's not. The songs he's played on this tour so far (and it's a very young tour, there's just been a handful of rehearsal shows, the New Orleans gig, and Dublin the other night): "Old Dan Tucker," "Jesse James," "Mrs. McGrath," O Mary Don't You Weep," "John Henry," "Erie Canal," "Jacob's Ladder," "My Oklahoma Home," "Eyes On The Prize," "Pay Me My Money Down," "We Shall Overcome," "Buffalo Gals," "How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live," "When The Saints Go Marching In," "Long Black Veil," and "The Daring Young Man On The Flying Trapeze." Along with a handful of his own songs.

Quote:
Also, I'm looking for a live recording of springsteen doing "tears of a clown"-----do you knkow of any?
I don't believe he's ever performed it.

Last edited by Jyqm; 05-07-2006 at 02:49 PM..
Old 05-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Well, aside from that, I was also referring to her previous tendency to sing with anyone, anywhere, anytime, and to make a bunch of stuff up on stage even with her old chestnuts. You know, she once took chances with her vocals as well as her song choice...
As far as vocals go, clearly at some point, somebody scared the **** out of her and told her that if she ever sang with passion or hit another high note, she'd have a brain hemorrhage and die. There's no question she could hit some of the notes that she's been avoiding the past views years, but some vocal coach must have convinced her that she shouldn't because it'll "ruin" her voice or some such nonsense.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Given all this hub-bub over a potential "private Stevie party/concert" in the Nicks forum, I begin to wonder:

Am I the only one here who simply would never go to such an event? Regardless of whether or not it's Stevie Nicks or the pope or Jimi Hendrix back from the dead, or whether I got to hand-pick the setlist, or whether I got to shake her hand or have her sign my ass... I just don't think I would ever even want to go to this kind of event, particularly at such a cost ($350 is the price being quoted for this particular Stevie party idea).

Is there anybody else who's just kind of scratching their head in amazement at this?
I can sort of see where you're coming from Jim. Personally I would seriously think about going, but I'm geared more towards recovering financially for Fleetwood Mac in 2007.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODDESS6
hell you can't take it w/ ya~
Aint that the truth. I sure have learned that over the last 3 years.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I suppose that's the interesting flipside to the power trip. She feels like she's got this rock star clout and power, and now that she's got it and has had it for so long, she's deathly afraid of losing it. She wants to hold onto it at any cost, and that's why she's so timid and hesitant to take any risks whatsoever.
Again, I'm not entirely convinced that that's what it is. And maybe I'm wrong, and you're right -- but I really get the feeling that she's terribly insecure of people losing interest in HER, not in losing any kind of "clout."
She's found her "comfort-zone" and stays there (and really I'm not one to criticize anyone for having their comfort zone). Which, of course, seems to piss some fans off to no end, but many, many others are content because they're still getting to hear their favorite songs.

I think Stevie gave us the biggest clue of all to her fears, during the 'Enchanted' tour. She had some cool rare and semi-rare songs in the setlist, mixed with the big hits, but when she'd introduce something like "Garbo" or "Twisted," she'd tell the audience to "bare with (her)" if they didn't know the song, and that hopefully not too many people would get up and leave.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
"bare with (her)"
Stevie asked everyone to get naked with her?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Stevie naked on stage.. oh sheesh.. thanks for the mental!

Old 05-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Don't you just love totally self-defeating Freudian Slips?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Again, I'm not entirely convinced that that's what it is. And maybe I'm wrong, and you're right -- but I really get the feeling that she's terribly insecure of people losing interest in HER, not in losing any kind of "clout."
Is there much of a difference? This is what I meant; "clout" meaning influence over other people, specifically her "fans." She's afraid to take risks because she thinks everyone will jump ship, she wants to keep filling these big venues and is afraid the guy in the Cyndi Lauper t-shirt will bail if she plays something he didn't hear on 101.5 Lite FM last week.

As far the Enchanted tour, I can't imagine she didn't notice how enthusiastically the audiences greeted those "acoustic" songs.

Quote:
She's found her "comfort-zone" and stays there (and really I'm not one to criticize anyone for having their comfort zone).
Yeah man, rock & roll comfort zone! Woo!

Actually, Rock & Roll Comfort Zone would be a great name for that generally competent classic rock cover band that plays at the bar on Thursday nights. You know the one.

Last edited by Jyqm; 05-08-2006 at 02:43 AM..
Old 05-08-2006, 02:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is there much of a difference? This is what I meant; "clout" meaning influence over other people, specifically her "fans." She's afraid to take risks because she thinks everyone will jump ship, she wants to keep filling these big venues and is afraid the guy in the Cyndi Lauper t-shirt will bail if she plays something he didn't hear on 101.5 Lite FM last week.

As far the Enchanted tour, I can't imagine she didn't notice how enthusiastically the audiences greeted those "acoustic" songs.
You'd think. But I suspect that the debacle of SA and the downturn of her career took away a great deal of her confidence and has changed her into a more fearful performer. Not that she didn't stick to formula before that time period. It is at once a little endearing but mostly confounding that a person of her stature has so little innate cockiness and self assurance. I suppose when I was younger that whole vulnerablility thing was appealing and made me want to protect her and make excuses for her. But my knight in shining armour complex is a thing of the past. Now it just makes me want to kick her ass. One of many things that changed the way I look at her as an artist and shifted my expectations. Downward.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, I'll admit it. If money were no object- I'd go. I'd probably end up disappointed in the end, but I'd be there. But see, Stevie is the only performer I would do that for. Stevie and Fleetwood Mac are the only performers I've ever paid gross amounts of money to see live. On the other hand0- I have no collectables, a few CD's, and maybe two dozen songs/videos downloaded on my computer.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic
No. I think it's just you People need to do what makes them happy and if this is it, then go for it! I'm seriously considering it.
Amen sistah!!!!!!!

BTW - we looked at some used Fat Boys this weekend - the bike that is!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Am I the only one here who simply would never go to such an event?
I told myself after the AHI fiasco never to do something like this again. But, my take on it is that who knows how much longer Stevie will be performing and I'd love to see her in a venue more intimate than the stupid sheds. Plus I'd like to meet some of the folks from this board.

$350 is doable for me.