User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
Were you on a low dosage?? I had dry skin (my skin peeled off like scales), dry lips, dry eyes, sun sensitivity, tired muscles, sore body among other things, and even got the occasional bouts of depression
That might be the reason why. I started out on 40 mg.. and then moved to 60 mg.. that was the highest that I ever went. What about you?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
maybe you should re read.
Also, I, personally, think Cetaphil sucks.
Hmm.. I suppose to each his on.. But cetaphil is in my daily skin care routine, more than once. And it keeps my skin clear and smooth. I use the cetaphil daily face wash, then a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and then the cetaphil moisturizer. The three-step system works for me.. But I have heard some people who say that also don't care for Cetaphil products. The product that I can't stand is Neutrogena.. BLAH! Even their concealer sucks! Bobbi Brown is the way to go (in terms of make up)
Old 05-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

wish I could be of more help...only thing I know about this is it chaps your lips something terrible.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
That might be the reason why. I started out on 40 mg.. and then moved to 60 mg.. that was the highest that I ever went. What about you?
My dosage was the same Just goes to show how it effects people differently...
Old 05-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
My dosage was the same Just goes to show how it effects people differently...

I guess so! The ONLY thing that I had a problem with was getting dry lips.. other than that.. it was like I was popping Asprin everyday.. no biggie for me.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Personally, I would exhaust your antibiotic choices first...tetracycline, azithromycin, clindamycin, etc. While each of these has their own side effects, Accutane is pretty scary stuff. But as a last resort, I would say go for it...just be smart and follow the recommendations for blood tests, 2 forms of birth control, and minimized sun exposure.

Brad
Old 05-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have been on Accutane 3 times now. If you have exhausted your antibiotic choices first, I say go for it. Do take it seriously, though. Yes, it can and will raise your tri-glyceride levels, as well as your cholerstrol. So watch what you eat while on it. Make sure to apply moisturizer with sunblock daily, a couple of times a day if you do take it in the summer. I have been on it 2 times in the summer. Yes, it's a bear, but if you keep the sunblock on, you won't have a problem. Just keep sleeves on, stay under a hat or umbrella, AND USE SUNBLOCK!!! I figured this out first hand. While you're on it, drink pleanty of water, also. Be sure to use 2 forms of birth control at all times. That is very important, because it causes major birth defects. Also, keep up on Visine and lip balm. You will absolutely not want to be without either. Also, it can affect your night vision. I had a hard time all 3 times driving at night. It wasen't like I was blind, but it makes things blurry. Like I said earlier, I have been on it 3 times since I was 19 (I'm now 28) and it really is the miracle drug. I'm not going to tell you that my skin is flawless, but compaired to the acne I've lived with, 1 or 2 pimples during your monthly is great! Good luck. It's not a decision to take lightly. But, if you're willing to go through 6 months of dry, cracked skin, I say go for it! Let us know what you decide!

On edit: I just wanted to add one more thing... I went off accutane last September, and I'm still trying to get my cholerstrol levels down. I went from 170-something up to 240-something. So, please keep that im mind. It's been 8 months now.

Last edited by sara1998; 05-05-2006 at 10:40 AM..
Old 05-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well after all of your posts I think that I am going to skip the accutane for now. I am so scared of going on it and I am thinking that a summer away from the sun wont work out too well especially while at the beach.

I will go back to the derm on tuesday and see if they have something else for me to try. Its not really that bad now which is good. This time when I had TOM, I only got 3 new pimples and they do seem to be drying up now but I did hear something about tazorac? Has anybody used that with good results?
Old 05-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125
Well after all of your posts I think that I am going to skip the accutane for now. I am so scared of going on it and I am thinking that a summer away from the sun wont work out too well especially while at the beach.

I will go back to the derm on tuesday and see if they have something else for me to try. Its not really that bad now which is good. This time when I had TOM, I only got 3 new pimples and they do seem to be drying up now but I did hear something about tazorac? Has anybody used that with good results?
I hope we didn't put you off. It reacts well and badly with different people. But for me, even though I had some side effects - the benefits out-weigh the negatives - but I would try everything else before you try accutane
Old 05-07-2006, 05:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Drugs have different effects on different people. I took it in 1993. Yes it TOTALLY cleared my face up, but It was SO dried out, and I was SO DEPRESSED!

Worst year of my life, I choose not to dwell on it much. The pills put me in a deep depression. However looking back I would take them again. My face has never been that bad since.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I've had all kinds of struggles with different antibiotics. I feel like I've tried them all: minocycline, tetracycline, doxycycline...eventually amoxicilin, which I found to work really well for me, paired with a perscription rinse called Rosanil. But I eventually stopped taking the pills, to see if I still needed to take them, and I also switched to an over the counter face wash...all was fine until just a few months ago, and my face started to break out again. So I've since gone back to the Rosanil, which I think really works well. I have an appt with my derm next week to see about getting the amoxicilin again.

So yeah...all that info probably wasn't that helpful...but maybe look into Rosanil. From what I remember, its not that expensive (with our insurance, that is) and one bottle lasts a while.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 05-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Josh,

Thanks for the info regarding Rosanil. I will check into it. I am using akne-mycin right now along with the biomedic line of cleansers and toners and it really seems to be helping. I would love something to completely clear me up though. It is frustrating for sure. My skin was clearing up really well before and then it just went nuts again about 2 months ago and now it seems to be getting better but I still have some scars.

I just started using glycolic acid and that also seems to be helping with the scars but I am impatient and want them gone right away. Its amazing how people with clear skin just take it for granted. Its so unfair.

I do appreciate everyones input on the accutane. As much as I want to go on it, I am just too scared of the side effects. I am going to call my derm and see what she has to say. If I do try it, it might be a very low dosage to see what happens but I would hate to get on it and have my face go nuts again. I didnt realize how harsh the stuff until I read all of the side effects. It freaks me out!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just started using glycolic acid and that also seems to be helping with the scars but I am impatient and want them gone right away. Its amazing how people with clear skin just take it for granted. Its so unfair.
That is the truth....

Quote:
I do appreciate everyones input on the accutane. As much as I want to go on it, I am just too scared of the side effects. I am going to call my derm and see what she has to say. If I do try it, it might be a very low dosage to see what happens but I would hate to get on it and have my face go nuts again. I didnt realize how harsh the stuff until I read all of the side effects. It freaks me out!
Im telling you - the side-effects are not that bad. I was just like you, and really scared to go on it at first, but trust me - when I did accutane, I wondered why I had not done it years earlier...
Old 05-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!
Exclamation

Yeah, just try it after summer. I, too, had no side effects at all except for the extremely dry, chapped lips.
It was actually awesome, I swear I would've never had to wash my face or hair, my body was producing no oil at all. Those were the days.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Yeah, just try it after summer. I, too, had no side effects at all except for the extremely dry, chapped lips.
It was actually awesome, I swear I would've never had to wash my face or hair, my body was producing no oil at all. Those were the days.
That was a HUGE positive of being on accutane. You don't ever have to wory about getting an oily face And 6 months later I still produce very little oil...