User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Accutane help please?

Hey everyone,

Now that I got your attention, I need your help if I should go on accutane or not.

I have to go back on tuesday to get my final bloodwork and pregnancy test and then on wednesday my doctor is going to write the script for it providing that everything checks out ok.

So I am having second thoughts about it now. I am currently on amoxicillin and I was told that staying on it while taking accutane might help with the initial breakout but that is why I am so afraid to take it.
I dont want to look awful for the entire time I am on it because even though my face isnt clear now I only have about 5 active pimples on my skin and I dont want to have 10-15.

Also, I was told to eat low sugar while on accutane, not drink alchol, avoid the sun and something about watching fat intake because it raises tri-glyceride levels. Is that true?

Since summer is about to start I cant imagine giving everything I enjoy up just for clear skin. I mean this is very very important to me but I am not sure what to do. I had a foto facial done recently and was going to go back for more if I dont get the accutane because I heard it can shrink your pores which I am hoping will help my skin. Does everyone have to take accutane for 5 months though? I was thinking it would only be 3?

So what do all of you think? Is the risk worth it? My derm was going to put me on 40mg then 80mg every other day for a combined 60mg dosage but that much scares me. I heard that if you start out at a lower dosage that you might not have the bad breakout in the beginning.

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 05-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Get it.. you will not regret it.. it is worth it..

period.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I don't think you should take it in the summer.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I don't think you should take it in the summer.
Really? Why not? Whenever I started accutane years ago.. that is actually when they put me on it.. in the summer.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Really? Why not? Whenever I started accutane years ago.. that is actually when they put me on it.. in the summer.
Because, Dorf, it makes your skin extremely photosensitive. She could potentially get much more sun damage than if she took it in other months.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you do it, take it very seriously. This is not a drug you can screw around with (miss doses, miss labwork, etc.) It's very powerful, but very dangerous.

Our of curiousity - have you tried other non-RX stuff? ProActiv? I don't mean to scare you, but it's just a really powerful med.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah I have heard so much about it and that is why I am so scared to try it. My husband took it about 14 years ago and he was fine but now you hear so many more things.

I used proactiv for years and then all it did was make my face dry and red. I then have tried retin-a, retin-a micro, duac, klaron lotion, cleocin-t,
akne-mycine and glycolic acid. I am currently using the biomedic line which is really helping the cystic acne on my chin but it seems that they have now shifted to the sides of my face by my ear. Its so odd. I never used to get them there. I try to keep my hair away from my face but I wonder if the oil from that is making it worse.

I was on minocycline for a while and it did work for a little bit and then it did nothing so that is why I was put on amoxicillin. Its such a pain to spend so much money on this crap.

So about 3 months ago I started taking ortho tri-cycline again and I think it is helping a little bit but not enough for me to be happy about it. I am the only one out of all of my friends that has bad skin. Since I am 28 and everyone I know is in their mid 30's they dont have any skin issues at all.

I think the problem is that my pores are huge. I am going to try switching to that mineral makeup also to see if that will help. I am using mac studio fix right now and while that basically covers everything but I want something that is lighter.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Make no bones about it - this is a really hard drug to use The side-effects are killer...

I would try other alternatives before going to this step, but if you already have tried other things - then do it. Like Brandon said, you won't regret it - but it is really hard on you while you are on it, and I am still feeling some of the effects months later...

About not going on it during summer, it is a valid point, and remember you cant go into the sun for very long periods, so chances are you will have a very boring summer.

The drug does work though, I have been off it for just over 6 months and it has done a world of good for me
Old 05-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
If you do it, take it very seriously. This is not a drug you can screw around with (miss doses, miss labwork, etc.) It's very powerful, but very dangerous.

Our of curiousity - have you tried other non-RX stuff? ProActiv? I don't mean to scare you, but it's just a really powerful med.
I guess I never took it seriously whenever I took it.. still a teenager. All of the extreme side effects are very rare. But I do suppose they could still happen to some people. The largest concern, I do know, is for women who are sexually active and looking to get pregnant.. that is a BIG no-no when on accutane.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Because, Dorf, it makes your skin extremely photosensitive. She could potentially get much more sun damage than if she took it in other months.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
Make no bones about it - this is a really hard drug to use The side-effects are killer...

I would try other alternatives before going to this step, but if you already have tried other things - then do it. Like Brandon said, you won't regret it - but it is really hard on you while you are on it, and I am still feeling some of the effects months later...
Wow.. I suppose I was really lucky when I was on it then! I never had one side effect.. other than dry skin.. and even THAT wasn't really bad! I even wear contacts and the doctors warned me that I might not be able to wear them while on accutane, because I might have dry eyes.. but it never happened..
Old 05-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That makes no sense whatsoever. No matter what anyone uses, they'll still get more photodamage in the summer.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That makes no sense whatsoever.
spf 15.. cetaphil moisturizer.. derm recommended.. especially when on accutane.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow.. I suppose I was really lucky when I was on it then! I never had one side effect.. other than dry skin.. and even THAT wasn't really bad! I even wear contacts and the doctors warned me that I might not be able to wear them while on accutane, because I might have dry eyes.. but it never happened..
Were you on a low dosage?? I had dry skin (my skin peeled off like scales), dry lips, dry eyes, sun sensitivity, tired muscles, sore body among other things, and even got the occasional bouts of depression
Old 05-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
spf 15.. cetaphil moisturizer.. derm recommended.. especially when on accutane.
maybe you should re read.
Also, I, personally, think Cetaphil sucks.