Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Heroes Are Hard To Find appreciation thread

Now I know the people that come to Pre-Rumours wont feel this way for the most part, but it seems to me that this album sometimes gets the short shrift. I mean everybody talks about how great Mystery To Me and Future Games are, and rightfully so, but it's like sometimes people forget HAHTF. I wonder sometimes if it's that it came out right before Lindsey and Stevie joined and it got swept under the rug sorta? Oh well, I love the album!! Let's hear it for Heroes!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know what you mean, Dave. HHTF is underrated.

However, I myself have mixed feelings about the recording. The songs are, in my opinion, some of the strongest in the pre BN songbook. "Prove Your Love" and "Bermuda Triangle," for example, are worth the price of the cd. Still, there's a certain lack of energy there. Chris's vocals on "Prove Your Love" are almost listless; she's almost inaudible on "Come a Little Bit Closer." Many of Bob's tunes sound WAY better on the live Sausalito and Hampstead recordings.

I guess I'd say HHTF is a stronger, more mature recording on paper than Mystery, Future Games, or Bare Trees. It's just the execution of these songs is strangely lacking something...
Old 03-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
I know what you mean, Dave. HHTF is underrated.

However, I myself have mixed feelings about the recording. The songs are, in my opinion, some of the strongest in the pre BN songbook. "Prove Your Love" and "Bermuda Triangle," for example, are worth the price of the cd. Still, there's a certain lack of energy there. Chris's vocals on "Prove Your Love" are almost listless; she's almost inaudible on "Come a Little Bit Closer." Many of Bob's tunes sound WAY better on the live Sausalito and Hampstead recordings.

I guess I'd say HHTF is a stronger, more mature recording on paper than Mystery, Future Games, or Bare Trees. It's just the execution of these songs is strangely lacking something...
Thank you!! I was worried I wasnt going to get any replies!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:56 PM

See Christine Forum..... This is at the top of my list... I love Bermuda Triangle, Angel, Bad Loser, Prove Your Love, Born Enchanter

this album is tight and has a lot of variety////

and it's haunting
Old 03-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heroes... was the first Fleetwood Mac album released after I'd gotten a job at a record store (and therefore, the first Fleetwood Mac album I bought with my employee discount). So, it has some sentimental value above & beyond being a really good album.

When it first came out, I wasn't all that enamoured with "Silver Heels" (except the "If I could sing like Paul McCartney" line) or "She's Changing Me". But everything else was great. Over time, both of the aforementioned songs leapt up my "like 'em" list. For MANY years, "Bermuda Triangle" was my #2 favorite Mac tune (nothing will ever top "Oh Well")...it has dropped a bit since then, but it will never drop from the Top 10. My initial faves of the album were "Angel", "Born Enchanter" & "Bad Loser" (as well as the title cut which I thought was a "can't miss" hit single.)

This just seemed like a great follow-up to Mystery To Me. The only real downer about the album is all the crap they had to go through just to get the album made & released. It just makes me wonder what it would've sounded like had Bob Weston still been on board.

Last edited by chiliD; 03-14-2006 at 04:09 PM..
Old 03-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE Heroes. It's my second favorite album from the Bob Welch era & it's among my top 5 Fleetwood Mac albums of any era. It has a spacy, jazzy, very cool sort of feel to it. My favorite songs are "Come A Little Bit Closer", "Prove Your Love", "She's Changing Me", "Bermuda Triangle", the title track & "Born Enchanter". There's really nothing on the album that I dislike. I think it's the most underrated Fleetwood Mac album. I LOVE Christine McVie & Bob Welch together.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love the title track, Heroes Are Hard To Find, the clever horn section is worth the price of admission. It doesn't let up from there either. Silver Heels, Come A Little Bit Closer, Bad Loser and She's Changing Me are my favs.

The Herbet Worthington cover is very interesting and subtley disturbing.

Last edited by Richard B; 03-14-2006 at 06:33 PM..
Old 03-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the album is a little underrated, or maybe just a bit forgotten. I find it a very pleasurable album to listen to - nothing sounds awkward or out of place. My favourite track has to be 'Angel' - to these ears maybe the heaviest sounding track Mac ever did. The only track I don't fully appreciate is 'Bermuda Triangle' - I think maybe it's the Brit in me that wants to go every time I hear about the Air Force not letting on... maybe Bob sounds a bit too earnest there. But it's not a clunker by any means.

Not keen on the cover, but I love the band photo on the back. I want to know what Bob said that was so funny
Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Not keen on the cover, but I love the band photo on the back. I want to know what Bob said that was so funny
If I recall correctly from one of Bob's Q&A's (??? Somebody asked him about that, I think), he said that the day of that photo shoot was the same day Richard Nixon resigned from the presidency...they were celebrating a bit heavily after that grand news. (now if a certain current US president would follow in Nixon's path and get the hell out of office early, we ALL could be in a similar jovial mood as the Mac is in that photo)
Old 03-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
If I recall correctly from one of Bob's Q&A's (??? Somebody asked him about that, I think), he said that the day of that photo shoot was the same day Richard Nixon resigned from the presidency...they were celebrating a bit heavily after that grand news. (now if a certain current US president would follow in Nixon's path and get the hell out of office early, we ALL could be in a similar jovial mood as the Mac is in that photo)
That's fantastic. Thanks for that!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well, I love the group photo on the back. All of them happily boozing. But the front cover is beyond bizarre--a strange choice for a band that was eager to increase its fan base.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
Well, I love the group photo on the back. All of them happily boozing. But the front cover is beyond bizarre--a strange choice for a band that was eager to increase its fan base.
I agree. That cover is probably my least favorite Fleetwood Mac album cover.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I agree. That cover is probably my least favorite Fleetwood Mac album cover.
Which one of Mick's daughters is in the picture with him?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Which one of Mick's daughters is in the picture with him?

Lucy...no, Amy...wait...no, Lucy.

CRAP!! I don't remember. Whichever is the younger of the two.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
if bush resigned i would die of alcohol poisioning from too much celebration