The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Oh geez, gotta defend Stevie here - but in the end.. Not.

Years ago, she would say in interviews as to why she would change - shawls, etc. between songs - and i'm paraphrasing - she wanted to give a visual to the song... No one just wanted to see someone standing up there singing a song...
This was waaaay before Madonna, Janet Jackson, etc... Though, they took that to a whole new level, hence, now most concerts-shows are indeed, traveling theatrical shows.... So, good for her...
For the rock'n'roll show... Well, depends who ya see... Right now, Queen with Adam Lambert are doing the rounds.... Great concert and show - same costume changes, same banter - however, fantastic show.
I think that unless you're seeing a jam band and/or total r'n'r i.e. dave mattews band, Leogun, etc., you're going to get huge name bands with the KINDA the same thing show.
Those huge shows have so many components with lighting cues, etc... That it has to be formatted. I've worked them... Every 'moment' is cued.
I've done 40 city tours with corporate executives - same speech in every town... They got excited with a one sentence ad lib, "it mixed it up a bit".
So if they think THAT was huge, can you imagine someone who has sung a song a gazillion times feels when there is just a little banter?

This is what they love --- however, it is a job. Remember that.

When you don't know what it is
But you can't get enough of it
Old 07-23-2014, 04:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In terms of the overall visual I remember being a bit disappointed when I saw the Say You Will show. I think its because I was gauging it next to the Rolling Stones' Voodoo Lounge tour a few years back in the nineties. Wow, that was a spectacular show- one that perhaps hasn't been matched yet- even by the Stones themselves (the only one I can think of on this side of the pond may have been Take That's Circus tour). In retrospect there was no way FM were ever going to put on that sort of staging but it got me to realise just how much more of a massive band the Stones are.

That said, I was really impressed by the backdrop movies on the last tour. The Tusk visuals in particular were great and really added to the show.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

One of the things I love about the band and Stevie in particular, was their seemingly "carelessness" in their concert attire back in the day. Stevie's outfits fascinate me, I watch youtube vids of their old performances and I am amazed at how she throws things on and looks absolutely fabulous. John was also super relaxed and just chill. Collectively, they looked awesome, if they had been solo it probably wouldn't have worked. I wish they would gravitate to showcasing more of the essence of their individuality a bit more this tour.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Continuity. If they're filming shows for a post-tour DVD release, they'll be able to use different takes of songs from different shows and there won't be somebody seemingly "changing clothes" and back mid-song.

Just use "The Concert For Bangla Desh" as an example. Mid "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", Eric Clapton goes from playing a Gibson Byrdland & wearing a Navy blue Pea Coat to wearing a faded denim jacket & playing a Fender Stratocaster during the solo, then back to the Pea Coat & Byrdland for shots later in the song. (he wore the denim & played the Stratocaster during the afternoon show, the Pea Coat & Byrdland for the evening show...even though all musicians were told to wear the same thing for both shows).
Take a look at one of the Dixie Chicks concert DVD's. It's filmed at various shows, each shot they are wearing different clothes. Fun To watch, not distubing at all. Just one minor fault. At one of the (instrumental) songs, all the musicians are lined up plating their instruments. In one of the first shots Nathalie Maines is their too, in all the other shots of the song, she is missing.

As far as FM stage clothing concerns, Mick and John have their signature style. We want to see Mick in his knickerbockers and red shoes, vest and balls hangin between his legs. John has to wear his white cap and Stevie has to be changing outfits as crazy. We expect that. But Lindsey is just a bore. Leather jacket, shirt etc. Must be comfortable for him, but his wife has to take him out to do some serious clothes-shopping. Chris has to be a classy lady. She has my mum's age. So dress that way. Last time I saw her back in 1990, she was a bit older as I am now ... Can't remember what she wore back then
Old 07-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

They are old now. Look at elton john, David Bowie, and Ozzy. They have toned down the dress a lot. Still have cool stage cloths, but way more toned down. Stevie and Mick were the only ones that ever really dressed with flare. The other ones to a much less degree. Those two still were cool clothes in my opinion. Except Stevie and her button up sweater during SYW, but that whole tour she seemed determined to be Lindsey's back up singer and wonders why that tour sucked? Women?

Elton john is one of my favorites of all time. Brilliant musician and singer but he needed to be extremely flashy in dress because he just sits at the piano. Kind of boring watching DVD by the time you get half way threw I think i should just listen to a live album.