Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Lindsey Buckingham is hands down the worst lip-syncher I have ever seen. Pretty funny in a music industry that demands its "artists" be much better at lip-synching than they are at actually singing, since they do it so often.
His other half's not so crash hot herself; might help for your mouth to be NEAR the mic, Stevie

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Lindsey Buckingham is hands down the worst lip-syncher I have ever seen. Pretty funny in a music industry that demands its "artists" be much better at lip-synching than they are at actually singing, since they do it so often.
Even the Little Lies video I thought to myself, "What line is he singing?"
Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ This. It looks like he's chewing when he's singing. The Big Love video's another one. He's as into singing the song convincingly as he was "We Are the World" in the very short video clips of him in the background.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Lindsey is an amazing songwriter but Family Man is one of the worst things he's ever written. Yuck.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do like the song. Not within the bests of Tango but a cool song. I also like Welcome to the Room, anothe hated song
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Even the Little Lies video I thought to myself, "What line is he singing?"
This bit always makes me laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyE4CLM0QIA&t=0m46s

What's going on with his lips?
Old 07-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's their most beautifully produced track between the time of Gypsy and Love Minus Zero.

And it's my co-worker's favorite alltime Lindsey track. I think it actually speaks to people.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
I've noticed that Family Man seems to get quite a lot of hate in the Fleetwood Mac fan community. Why? I think it's one of the best songs on Tango in the Night. The remixes are pretty good as well, especially the Extended Guitar Remix that features Stevie warbling on and off at the end. Any other fans?
It is what it is
It is what it is
A Family Man

The song doesn't bother me at all; just not the best or worst. Pretty amazing that was a single! The Spanish guitar flourishes are very cool.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
it has more stinkers on it than any other album of that era (You & I, When I See You Again, Mystified).
Come on 'The WILDheart'...
You & 1 pt 2: bit cheesy but an alright sort of song. I can see why people may not rate it.
When I See You Again: I quite like it but again, I can understand why most people don't.
Mystified: a stinker? no, no, no, no. Its a great little Christine/Lindsey collaboration and I'd happily see more of that on the upcoming album. I love the guitar parts on it in particular. Goodness me, I even had it on a shortlist for the first dance at my wedding at one stage.

I can't see past Empire State as the biggest stinker.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
It is what it is
It is what it is
A Family Man

The song doesn't bother me at all; just not the best or worst. Pretty amazing that was a single! The Spanish guitar flourishes are very cool.
the best part of the song!

almost makes up for the
"IyamwhatIyam
amwhatIyam
amwhatIyam"
Old 07-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Precisely. My favourite songs (to name only a few good examples) are 'Gypsy' (US#12/UK#46), 'Sisters of The Moon' (US#86), 'Seven Wonders' (US#19/UK#56), and 'Rhiannon' (US#11/UK#46).

These are my favourite singles which aren't considered the more successful hits. I've always wondered why 'Rhiannon' was always considered such a 'hit' when it only reached #11 in the US? This is why it's in my list. It was their second top 20 after 'Over My Head' and 'Say You Love Me' also reached #11 only a couple of months later, so what's all the fuss about?
Rhiannon was the most played song on US FM rock radio for the entire year of 1976..guess you had to be there..to put it in perspective Edge of Seventeen also hit number 11 and we know where most fans would rank that song,

Old 07-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I think it's the context. Family Man became a modest hit in Europe and that's what baffles people. If it just minded it's own business staying a little filler album track, people wouldn't give it nearly so much thought.

Personally I don't really dislike it, but it's a pretty weak Lindsey offering, especially lyrically, and almost borders on self-parody. When you look at songs like Family Man, you can really understand why the band was seriously low on cool-points by the end of the 80s.
I always liked Family Man, the lyrics are pants of course but I do love the melody and Lindsey's guitar solo at the end.

As for Tango, it was the album that got me into the band and I still love it, it is in my top 3 FM albums along with Rumours and Tusk. In fairness it was appreciated enough to be their second biggest seller and produced 3 huge hits (Everywhere, Little Lies and Big Love) - but it seems more appreciated in the UK/Europe I find.

For me the only song I skip is You and I and despite the stick she got I like Stevie's songs, despite the poor vocal on WISYA.

I think in some ways that album saved them from sliding into obscurity, especially in Europe where Mirage had flopped. I'd expect at least 3 or 4 Tango songs on this latest tour, although can't see Family Man being one of them somehow
Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by He's So Unusual View Post
I've noticed that Family Man seems to get quite a lot of hate in the Fleetwood Mac fan community. Why? I think it's one of the best songs on Tango in the Night. The remixes are pretty good as well, especially the Extended Guitar Remix that features Stevie warbling on and off at the end. Any other fans?
I agree - the great disliking of "Family Man" makes it sound like the dislike presented toward David Hasselhoff's music, haha.

Secondly, it's *Lindsey* we're talking about here. The same fella who wrote "The Ledge." The same guy who wrote "Bwana," which I love. So vocal effects, "cartoonish" or not, are not surprises.

Thirdly, his worst contribution to the group is "Empire State." It would've been better as bonus track, and replaced by "Goodbye Angel." Also, there's nothing wrong with "Oh Diane." It is more of an homage to sixties pop, some of which sounds very "simple." Often, it isn't, which is the case for the multiple guitar tracks Lindsey adds to most of his songs.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If Family Man had different lyrics, it wouldn't be so reviled. But those are the lyrics it has. It would have done better to have boasted very sparse lyrics (or humming!) rather than incessant and silly words that repeat and madden.

But yeah, if you can get past those, it's not a bad song. For some lyrics are secondary, but if they're something that attracts you to a song (as they often do for me), then trying to ignore them is just, "Aside from that President Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Michele
Old 07-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwelchera View Post
I agree - the great disliking of "Family Man" makes it sound like the dislike presented toward David Hasselhoff's music, haha.

Secondly, it's *Lindsey* we're talking about here. The same fella who wrote "The Ledge." The same guy who wrote "Bwana," which I love. So vocal effects, "cartoonish" or not, are not surprises.

Thirdly, his worst contribution to the group is "Empire State." It would've been better as bonus track, and replaced by "Goodbye Angel." Also, there's nothing wrong with "Oh Diane." It is more of an homage to sixties pop, some of which sounds very "simple." Often, it isn't, which is the case for the multiple guitar tracks Lindsey adds to most of his songs.
I quite like Empire State.