Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I have a few questions also.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to have lived through that awesome time period, mid 70s-mid 80s, how often was Hold Me played on the radio? How often was the music video played on MTV? Wasn't Hold Me like their first official music video, how big of a deal did MTV make it?

Was Christine and Dennis Wilson's romance highly publicized? What about Stevie and Don Henley, wasn't there a rumor that she miscarried their baby?

Was the band's drug and alcohol use ever publicized before Stevie went to rehab?

Which Tango in the Night music video was played the most?

What were people's reactions when Lindsey left? What were their reactions when they found out he wouldn't be doing the Tango tour?

Was the band still doing coke during Mirage?

Would people in the audience be doing coke at their shows?

Could you really just light up a joint at a show and it was perfectly acceptable?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Could you really just light up a joint at a show and it was perfectly acceptable?
This happens at pretty much every live show for every band I've gone to see- past or present.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 AM

I'd say Little Lies was overplayed quite a bit. On the radio and MTV.
I believe they were still doing coke during the Mirage tour.
People were upset when Lindsey left, although the shows and attendance were quite good.
People did smoke pot at shows, but I never saw coke. If an usher saw you directly, you could get kicked out.
Hold Me was played a lot. Gypsy was too. Both on the radio and MTV. I remember hearing Hold Me all summer of 1982. Then Gypsy later in the fall.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For those of you who are fortunate enough to have lived through that awesome time period, mid 70s-mid 80s, how often was Hold Me played on the radio?
A lot
How often was the music video played on MTV?
Daily during its prime

Wasn't Hold Me like their first official music video, how big of a deal did MTV make it?
I don't remember if it was the first official, but MTV aired it a lot. The video for Gypsy got way more MTV airplay though.

Was Christine and Dennis Wilson's romance highly publicized?
No

What about Stevie and Don Henley, wasn't there a rumor that she miscarried their baby?
Don Henley revealed in an interview somewhere around 1990 that Stevie aborted the baby they were due to have.

Was the band's drug and alcohol use ever publicized before Stevie went to rehab?
No, but we knew they were stoned.

Little Lies

What were people's reactions when Lindsey left? What were their reactions when they found out he wouldn't be doing the Tango tour?

We were very bummed out when Lindsey quit the group but for myself, as a primary Stevie fan, I was ok with his decision.

Yes

Probably more likely on the way to the show.

It was NEVER perfectly acceptable. If you were caught you could face arrest and you would certainly be evicted from the building.
Any more questions? My first FM show was in 1979.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Any more questions? My first FM show was in 1979.

I'm sure I will think of more. I'm about to order Carol Ann Harris and Ken Callait's books. I hope that will indulge my guilty pleasure a little bit.

I read that Mick is coming out with another book this fall I think.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm sure I will think of more. I'm about to order Carol Ann Harris and Ken Callait's books. I hope that will indulge my guilty pleasure a little bit.
Carol Ann is quite friendly to the fans over there in face book land.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

I read that Mick is coming out with another book this fall I think.
Really? Freakin awesome, can't wait for another book.
Like you Wdm6789, i also wondered about many of the questions referenced above.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick's new book comes out 10/9. Fleetwood Mac plays NYC on 10/6 and 10/7. They're going to be on the Today Show on the 9th as well. If Warners/Stevie's camp were smart, they'd release her new album on Tuesday the 7th. That way, at least two band members would have something to promote since we're not getting a new record until next year.

Quote:
Ken's book is really good. I got through it in 2 days because it keeps your interest. There's a lot of technical and audio engineering aspects from the recording of each song that I found fascinating, as well as the way Ken describes how quickly his life changed in the short time the album was recorded.

Last edited by sorcerer999; 07-23-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Old 07-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Mick's new book comes out 10/9.
Oh heck ya! Something else to look forward to!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For those of you who are fortunate enough to have lived through that awesome time period, mid 70s-mid 80s, how often was Hold Me played on the radio? How often was the music video played on MTV? Wasn't Hold Me like their first official music video, how big of a deal did MTV make it?
"Hold Me" & "Gypsy" (mainly the latter) were in huge rotation on MTV. Radio? Don't really recall since I'd pretty much stopped listening to music on the radio in the '80s

Quote:
Was Christine and Dennis Wilson's romance highly publicized? What about Stevie and Don Henley, wasn't there a rumor that she miscarried their baby?
I don't recall Chris & Dennis' relationship being "highly" (no pun intended) publicized, but there were photos of them together in music magazines. Stevie & Don Henley, don't recall anything about them until much later

Quote:
Yes...but, then, whose WASN'T back in those days? Clapton nearly drank himself to death (having a softball sized ulcer tear open a week into his 1981 tour)

Quote:
Little Lies probably...Seven Wonders a close second.

Quote:
I was surprised, but it wasn't life changing. By then I was used to Fleetwood Mac undergoing personnel changes. I was actually surprised that they went so long with that lineup.

Quote:
Yes...from published accounts, some members were still doing quite a bit all the way through recording of Tango In The Night & the subsequent tour.

Quote:
Would people in the audience be doing coke at their shows? Could you really just light up a joint at a show and it was perfectly acceptable?
Yes...and yes. And, until most places banned smoking ANYTHING inside arenas & public places, it was common place at ANY concert. (well, except maybe Menudo or "Up With People").

Last edited by chiliD; 07-23-2014 at 07:00 PM..
Old 07-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Back in 77, F/Mac played at Rock arena an outdoor concert in Melbourne Aust.

We were standing at front row, heaps of Joints were being passed around many at the same time.. I couldn't resist my first ever puff, it was fun at the time

I remember when F/ Mac first hit the stage, with arms wide open Stevie actually leant over the edge of the stage and said something like "are you all having a good time down there", the smoke was thick and drifting onto the stage..

Last edited by Aussie W/Heart; 07-24-2014 at 12:43 AM..
Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Hold Me and Gypsy were played in heavy rotation on MTV. Lindsey's guitar smashing through the mirrored glass was a favorite by many. Gypsy was a spectacular video. I can't believe Gypsy didn't cart higher on Billboard or Cashbox.

Not at all. This was before all of the tabloid TV shows like we have now.

No. It was not like it's been the past 20 years. It was kept very hush, hush.

Both Big Love and Little Lies were shown a lot. I think Little Lies is a superior video. Both were very popular on MTV. Hard to say which was shown more. Seven Wonders was shown a lot, but not as much.

Frankly, I don't remember it being that big of deal. By then, FM had lost a lot of it's steam in the media.

Yes. I know first hand about their coke use when they were in Austin Halloween in 1982, but it was not in the media. Someone may have a different take, but I don't remember reading about their drug use during the early 1980's.

I remember people in the audience handing Stevie small containers of something that I remember looked like bags of blow during the Rock A Little Tour encore. Never knew what she did with them.lol Anyway, of course there were people doing a lot of things during the concerts....not that I would know of course..

Yes. But honestly most FM or SN concerts I went to, I was so close to the stage that we were too close to security.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How often was the music video played on MTV? Wasn't Hold Me like their first official music video, how big of a deal did MTV make it?
Because it was the early era of MTV and music videos, there was limited content. Certain videos were aired over and over. Hold Me was aired frequently.

What about Stevie and Don Henley, wasn't there a rumor that she miscarried their baby?
Stevie was certainly angry with Don for revealing something so personal. Resilient and forgiving as she is, she eventually put it behind her and has never talked about it, nor should she be expected to do so.

What were people's reactions when Lindsey left?
Like many fans, I was stunned, especially since Tango In The Night was a very successful album, and and a big tour was expected.

Surely Stevie was; she became dependent on it. I can't speak for the other members. I don't think their relationship with coke was as serious as it was with her.

It was probably done before the shows, and in rest rooms. Back then, it wasn't so easy or convenient. Coke was usually cut down and formed into lines to snort, so it would be nearly impossible to do that at a show, unless you sprinkled it in a joint, a somewhat common practice then. Today, it's much easier to do it discreetly in public, since there are now little plastic tube-like apparatuses to dispense the coke; you can just quickly hold it up to your nose and inhale a measured amount, referred to as a "bump." (Don't ask me how I know this!)

It wasn't perfectly acceptable, but it was expected, and somewhat tolerated, depending on the the venue and security. In my early days of seeing shows in the nosebleed seats, we smoked up, but it weren't blatantly obvious. Cigarette smoking was still acceptable in most public places, which made pot smoke a little less obvious. At the recent Fleetwood Mac show I attended at an outdoor venue in Mansfield, MA, I was fifteen seats away from the stage, and at a some point caught a waif of the distinct smell of pot somewhere behind me. I smiled and reminisced about how it represented a different time, as does Fleetwood Mac! It was an older crowd.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-24-2014 at 01:24 AM..
Old 07-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My tenure as a Fleetwood Mac fan began in 1977, when I was 7 years old. My first Fleetwood Mac concert was the "Rumours" Tour when I was 7, which I attended with my mother (also a MAC fan). Thus, my point of view regarding those days was drawn somewhat from a child/teenager perspective. Moreover, in the days BEFORE the internet and social media, a lot of Fleetwood Mac news and habits of the band were kept very quiet (hush hush). As an adult, things have become much more clear.

Was Christine and Dennis Wilson's romance highly publicized?
No

Back when Don and Stevie dated, this was NOT publicized. I didn't know until Don stated that in an interview. I'm sure Stevie was furious at the time regard his "kiss and tell".

Publicized, NO, but everyone knew, unless you were an aloof kid like me. The first time I ever equated Stevie with drug use was when she entered The Betty Ford Center in 1986. This was publicized, but not like it would be today with social media and internet outlets.

Little Lies

Although the "Tango" album had done quite well, the band were pretty much listed under "Dinosaur Pop/Rock" by this time. They were seen as past their prime. There were write-ups in Rolling Stone when Lindsey left, but it didn't seem to shock anyone or make front page news.

Absolutely

I never witnessed it. But, I'm certain it was happening. I've never been into drugs (more than liquor), but people are doing drugs all around us today.

I'm sure you could have been arrested, but marijuana was quite common, especially at Fleetwood Mac shows between 1975--1982. I can remember being 7 years old attending the "Rumours" tour with my mom. There were pockets of people smoking marijuana all around us. I asked my mom, what is that smell? She nervously replied, "Uh, Cigarettes, imported from France".