Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default R.I.P. Storms

I'm so sad/pissed off they took Storms off the set list for GYPSY.

Gypsy is great but they play it every time. Even Stevie plays it at her own tours. It's such a shame they took off a really great song that they don't play frequently for GYPSY of all tracks. I would have loved to hear Storms it's easily my Top 5 FM song.

How about you guys?

Last edited by twinmatrix; 10-31-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Old 10-31-2018, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
I'm so sad/pissed off they took Storms off the set list for GYPSY.

Gypsy is great but they play it every time. Even Stevie plays it at her own tours. It's such a shame they took off a really great song that they don't play frequently for GYPSY of all tracks. I would have loved to hear Storms it's easily my Top 5 FM song.

How about you guys?
I love Storms but in watching videos even people in the front were talking during Storms. People who have been to numerous shows are talking about how bad some of the audiences have been complete with one woman waving a $100 bill at Stevie to get her to come over to her with Neil finally coming over, taking it looking at it and handing it back to her. Personally I felt Storms was too dirge like for this particular set of mostly up tempo songs. But dropping Hypnotized and I Got You is not a good move IMO. You have to keep playing the songs for them to find their audience. The reason a lot of people don't know Hypnotized is because they haven't played it in 40 years and you have a large segment of your audience that discovered you 20 years ago and don't even know that Mystery To Me exists. Hell, those kids don't even know what AOR was. Bummer for them. Anyway this is why historically I always go to opening night. I want to see the whole set. I'm kicking myself hard for not doing that this time.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Agree with dropping Storms for arena tour like this. Too slow and without dynamics. Would reserve that for a small acoustic set. Hypnotized is a solid song but also lacks dynamics so not great for an arena tour. I assume they dropped "I Got You" because Neil already has a song in the set and the band was trying to shorten the show or perhaps because Stevie felt that Neil was getting too much attention. That's a shame as it's a great song and a great crowd pleaser.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It’s too bad they pulled it from the set;
but this is a show for short attention spans and the hits.
It’s weird for me to imagine a Fleetwood Mac show without a single song from Tusk — easily their strongest body of work and an album that represents their creative peak.
But I’m also not sure I’d want to hear Storms without Lindsey on guitar.
I think it’s one of Stevie’s best songs - and one of her most uncommercial- which is probably why I’ve always loved it.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
It’s too bad they pulled it from the set;
but this is a show for short attention spans and the hits.
It’s weird for me to imagine a Fleetwood Mac show without a single song from Tusk — easily their strongest body of work and an album that represents their creative peak.
But I’m also not sure I’d want to hear Storms without Lindsey on guitar.
I think it’s one of Stevie’s best songs - and one of her most uncommercial- which is probably why I’ve always loved it.
It’s amazing that with Stevie putting asses in seats and all the going on about how she’s the main draw, one of her most beautiful songs ever is cut from the set. I really don’t understand why they would do this. Challenge your damn audience for one song. They played it in 2009 and I sat there in Pittsburgh on opening night and didn’t see a major run to the bathrooms or people just randomly ignoring it. A Fleetwood Mac concert in 2018 with no songs from Tusk but with one from Time.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Storms is a great song and Stevie and the band also think its a great song. But clearly they were getting the deer in the headlights look from the audience. Sadly they dropped probably the 2 best songs: Storms and Hypnotized.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Drops

Every time a song gets dropped I remember how damn long the drum solo is. How that time could easily be used to fit Storms and Hypnotized in the set...or any number of songs that don't include Mick asking the audience if they're with him. Sigh.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Storms is a beautiful song but even I thought it was too slow for the live setting. What annoys me on every tour is the band telling some reporter how they rehearsed 60 songs and dwindled it down to the perfect setlist. To me that means if one song didn't work, replace it with another song and these musicians need to challenge themselves. They never do and it is frustrating for us diehards. If Storms doesn't work, try Angel. If that doesn't fly bring out Sister's of the Moon. A singer has to go out there and sell a song to their audience. Show the people how much you love to sing it the way you do when you perform Gold Dust Woman and it might make some people go out and buy an album just to hear that one song. I sometimes wish Bruce Springsteen was my favorite singer. Then I could go to 10 shows in a row and have a completely different song set each night. No wonder he sells out everywhere he plays.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
Every time a song gets dropped I remember how damn long the drum solo is. How that time could easily be used to fit Storms and Hypnotized in the set...or any number of songs that don't include Mick asking the audience if they're with him. Sigh.
The drum solo has been ridiculous and overplayed for decades. I know it’s Micks turn in the spotlight but please give it a rest. Hell, John barely gets three bars of that bass solo in The Chain (id rather listen to that repeated for 5 minutes than 10+ minutes of ARE YOU WITH ME!!??).
Old 10-31-2018, 08:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Gdw

I would be more than happy to have Gold Dust Woman dropped in place of Storms, Hypnotized, anything. It's getting to be a bit much anymore and I'm not sure why some of the songs Mick and Stevie consider "MUST play" songs are on that list.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry, but I felt Storms never worked done live, at least the way Stevie performs it. Not soft enough. I'll take Beautiful Child over Storms any day. The LIB performance is one of my favorite performances of all time.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hypnotized was way too early in the set. It should be third or fourth towards the end of the main set.

Storms? Meh. I’d rather have had Straight Back, Freedom, or Sara.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-31-2018, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Hypnotized was way too early in the set. It should be third or fourth towards the end of the main set.
I understand how you feel. On the Rumours tour The Chain was part of the encores. That song is so iconic for them. Not a good opener. It should be placed near the end of the show because so many people would be dying to hear it. During the first song of any live show, lots of people are still coming from the restrooms or the beer section weaving their way back to their seats.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think The Chain is a great opener. So did LB.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Sorry, but I felt Storms never worked done live, at least the way Stevie performs it. Not soft enough. I'll take Beautiful Child over Storms any day. The LIB performance is one of my favorite performances of all time.
Storms live needs LB harmonies. Storms on Unleashed tour and Beautiful Child on SYW tour with beautiful harmonies he pulled were gorgeous. record versions are more bland, for my taste, i don't enjoy them as much as those live versions.

Storms on this tour was like shouting - as you said - not soft enough, and no extra live harmonies.

it seems that when LB was FM's live musical director, especially the last 2 tours, would insist that deep cuts need to be kept in the set and presented to people, whether or not they are familiar. note that his songs were never dropped as the tours would go on (sometimes they'd be swapped for another one of his songs, like IKINW for BTLH on OWTS tour). he is not easily discouraged. Christine doesn't seem to be afraid of keeping unfamiliar songs or deep cuts either, even though she has by far the most hits of the 3 songwriters. Stevie has dropped several of her new songs on SYW tour (RTTG was performed once or twice, same with DR), not sure whether they were replaced with some other songs or purely dropped. the 2 FM tours i've seen - Live 2013 and OWTS 2014-2015, none of the songs were dropped in the course of the tour.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"