The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question How worldwide was Fleetwood Mac?

I expected more answers from nonUS/UK ledgies at my thread about songs played on radios. I still doubt how often you find Fleetwood Mac in Spain, Amsterdam, Australia, Brasil, etc.

I have few memories about music in 1977. But I do remember I have heard Dreams and Don't Stop. Don't know how popular was GYOW. I guess not that much.

To this day, I have never heard Tusk, Think about me, Rhiannon or Over my head on the radio. I think those (white album) songs were not so popular in Peru, in 1976. But I was 10 and I didn't listen pop/rock that much. Plus my memories are not so reliable from that era. I remember far better 1979/1980. Just Sara was a hit.

I do remember very well how succesful were Gypsy, Hold Me, Can't go back, Big Love, 7Wonders, Little Lies, Everywhere and As long as you follow.

Right now radios play most of those songs, though after 1982 I never heard "Can't go back" again.

Usually it's hard to find GWOW on the radio. I think the first time I heard it was after the Coors cover, so radios started to play Lindsey's original, too.

I see in the US they play far more mac songs. I'm curious about other countries.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well I'm in Canada... and It's probably pretty much just like the US... The Classic Rock stations and the "Hits of Yesterday and Today" type stations play FM, Christine and Stevie solo stuff.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have seen some of the early albums (white, rumours, Buckingham nicks...etc) printed in Austarlia, Ireland, Israel, South Africa, Korea, UK, Canada, Japan, Germany, Brazil, Saudi Arabia..... So I think it was available worldwide, but as far as being played at the time, I don't know. But they printed them all over for distribution.

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

I just remembered-- when I visited France w/ my family in 1993 (I think?) we sat outside this little cafe for lunch, and upon sitting down we were treated to the entire Rumours album coming from inside. I don't know if it was the radio, I sort of think it was as i recall frendh speaking afterwards...but still , there we were in France-- and right away i felt at home. I took a picture of the cafe and labeled it 'where we heard Rumours' in my photo album. pretty neat.

-Lis
Old 10-22-2004, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yep they are played all the time on the radio in Australia, mainly the classic rock stations but also mainstream stations that play popular requests. I got into Fleetwood Mac from hearing SYLM or YMLF or GYOW or Dont Stop almost every time I turned on this particular classic rock station.
Gypsy and The Chain are played on mainstream stations.

In Japan, FM is a fairly obscure band, but I have heard Don't Stop, The Chain and, of all things, Sentimental Lady, at lounges and restaurants.

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 10-22-2004 at 05:02 AM..
Old 10-22-2004, 06:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Netherlands (not just Amsterdam ) : Peter Green's Mac was big, Rumours was big, Tango was big.. but after that, the hits were less and less. Oh well, I guess that means they're better respected now
Old 10-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac are still HUGE in Ireland. Radio plays 'em all the time..I've heard all their singles played at some time or another except for Think About Me,As Long As You Follow and Save Me..but ALL the rest get airplay. Cuts from Say You Will always got great play when the album came out particularly Peacekeeper,Say You Will & Thrown Down. It's easy to see how tickets for their Dublin concerts got sold out in 15 minutes.
Also,Seven Wonders seems to get regular plays on my local station..it's on so often that anyone would think it's been re-released!
Old 10-22-2004, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here in Portugal 'Little Lies' was (and still is) very popular, even in normal (non 80s based) radio stations. Apart from that I think 'I Can't Wait' was pretty big in the 80s here too, since most people recognize it.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So over here there is WDR 2- a mainstream pop station with a political and information programm mix. It reaches about 20 millions of people. It plays FM regularly, surely somebody over there likes the band.
Here is the FM playlist of the past 7 days:

Peacekeeper
Hold me
Seven wonders
Save me
Love shines
Oh Diane
Gypsy

But I guess this program is the exception. the younger listeners chose WDR1 and there it won`t get played.
All in all the band has no large base and doesn`t play a role in the public musical consciousness.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i can't tell you much coz i hadly listen to the radio here, and when i do, i usually listen to top 40 stations, but even tho, i get to hear them here and there, so i know they are still being played. you also can't find a record store without FM cd's, so i guess there's still demand for their music.
the only thing i can tell you for certain, is that TITN singles are their most played ones, and it's considered as one of the 80's defining albums.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the summer of '87, I heard "Seven Wonders" many times in the Virgin Islands, Grenada, Trinidad, and Rio de Janeiro, and "Big Love" once in Jamaica . I heard a couple of Mac tunes in a Mexican border town named Reynosa in the mid-90s, and danced to some weird Mac megamix in a Canadian border town named Vancouver (just kidding ) in 1998.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Los Paises Bajos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Netherlands (not just Amsterdam ) :
oops!
Ha ha... I realize later I should said Holland or Netherlands instead of the city (how could I do that, when Marken and Volendam were unforgetable?
Old 10-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm quite sure (I wasn't a fan then so I didn't pay a lot of attention to their air time) the Tango In The Night hits were played a lot around '87-'88, and very rarely they still are. For the rest, nothing at all, and Say You Will didn't get any promotion here. It sounds logic though, because Italy is a very troubled market for music.

Strangely a month ago, I've heard Rooms on Fire at the radio . I was at work and almost jumped on my chair. When I told about it to a colleague of mine, she didn't want to believe me, because in her opinion, nobody knows who Stevie Nicks is... I know, I work with an idiot...

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI

Last edited by Serrart; 10-22-2004 at 04:01 PM..
Old 10-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
I'm quite sure (I wasn't a fan then so I didn't pay a lot of attention to their air time) the Tango In The Night hits were played a lot around '87-'88, and very rarely they still are. For the rest, nothing at all, and Say You Will didn't get any promotion here. It sounds logic though, because Italy is a very troubled market for music.

Strangely a month ago, I've heard Rooms on Fire at the radio . I was at work and almost jumped on my chair. When I told about it to a colleague of mine, she didn't want to believe me, because in her opinion, nobody knows who Stevie Nicks is... I know, I work with an idiot...

Romy
Which country are you in?
AMber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Which country are you in?
AMber
A nice little place called Italy.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI