The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Will you vote Democratic?
Yes, I'll vote for Obama 27 49.09%
No, I'll vote for McCain 13 23.64%
Only, If Hillary is on the ticket 6 10.91%
I dont know yet 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Do you have a grip on political reality? Obama isn't any more a "democrat" than McCain is. Listen to what he says and what he stands for.
Before I completely lost interest in his speech last night, I heard him espouse a few Reaganisms.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
fAnyone who is remotely moderate should really wait to see who McCain picks as a running mate before they consider voting for him ...imagine if he picks a wingnut like Huckabee ..a fanatic in sheep's clothing or even Romney ..they would be one 70 something man's heartbeat away from the Presidency.
I agree. I think Huckabee seems like a nice guy, but he is from Planet Wack-a-doodle. To be honest, I don't know much about Romney beyond the fact that he was gov. of MA, was CEO of a corporation and he's a Mormon. But there's something oddly creepy about him... maybe it's that perma-tan and the movie-star hair. But who's even more creepy is that young governor of Louisiana, Bobby Gindal (sp??). His views are like Huckabee's, but coming from a young Indian American... it's just all kinds of wrong for me- he should be the face of the new "hipper" GOP, but his views come right out of the Bible. But hey, apparently he has a phenomenally high approval rating in Louisiana, so maybe there's something there that I am missing.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I have been abroad pretty much every year since 9/11 and very few that I spoke to hated America. Many hated Bush though.
Well, I think all men of your ilk would think the same thing.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that people will vote both for and against Obama because he is African American.
I will take it a step further and posit that some people may be sick of the race baiting put out by Obama's campaign and supporters, i.e., you're a racist if you don't vote for Obama, and would vote accordingly in protest.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
-I no longer consider myself a Democrat. At least the "new" Democratic party as it exists today, which, as Donna Brazile so notoriously pointed out, is comprised only of blacks and upscale white liberals. As much as I would like to say that I left the Democrats, in reality they left me. They have also become a party that rewards under-handed Karl Rove-ian tactics and has shown time after time how spineless they have become, as evidenced by the outrageously anti-American ruling by the RBC on May 31. The Democratic majority in congress has been completely useless, Pelosi is a total failure as senate majority leader (what about that Bush impeachment, Toots?) and Howard Dean is a complete moron.

Couldn't agree more. Pelosi is a huge disappointment to me. I thought Dean might be good as head of the DNC. And yet he's managed to phuck that up just like the Iowa caucus against Kerry. As for Donna Brazile the "uncomitted super delegate" give me a break. I truly feel that the party has left me. I don't know who to vote for. I never thought I would see the day when Democrats would turn on the only two term Dem president in 80 years. And that Vanity Fair article! Talk about a hit piece. I am disgusted that Graydon Carter allowed this to be printed. WTF is wrong with these people? It's like they've been brainwashed by some subliminal message in Obama's creepy campaign posters.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytuesday View Post
Here's hoping! Someone who is admirable an advocate for human rights negotiates peace instead of dominating the world into hatred of America, and someone who at the most basic level recognises that there's a whole world out there and the rest of us can have as much impact upon america as americans can themselves. All that bull**** talk about national security....put someone in charge who is willing to talk with Iran and that's a small step but it would go so much further to national security than anything in recent years. America is as unsafe as it has ever been and i think obama is the first step in any hope of reversing that.
I have much repsect for President Carter. However interest rates hovered around the 21% mark and there was a shortage of gas during his presidency. It wasn't the greatest of times.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
McCain is no bird's nest on the ground, to wit:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/John_McCain.htm

At least Obama has a better voting civil rights record, to wit:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Barack_Obama.htm

For that reason alone, I am voting for Obama, despite his glaring flaws, which are many, and that fact that my BS detector vibrates so wildly when he speaks that I am considering marrying it.
Well, like I said, McCain has established via his voting record that he does not follow his party all of the time, e.g., voting against drilling in ANWR. As for his record on civil rights, I think Obama and McCain have considerable common ground. But the fact remains that Obama simply does not have the voting record/experience to truly get a sense of where he stands on a lot of issues. And I am not saying that I disagree with much of what he is saying on social issues. It's just everything else, combined with his thin resume and absence of achievements/action that has me more than a little worried.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. I think Huckabee seems like a nice guy, but he is from Planet Wack-a-doodle. To be honest, I don't know much about Romney beyond the fact that he was gov. of MA, was CEO of a corporation and he's a Mormon. But there's something oddly creepy about him... maybe it's that perma-tan and the movie-star hair. But who's even more creepy is that young governor of Louisiana, Bobby Gindal (sp??). His views are like Huckabee's, but coming from a young Indian American... it's just all kinds of wrong for me- he should be the face of the new "hipper" GOP, but his views come right out of the Bible. But hey, apparently he has a phenomenally high approval rating in Louisiana, so maybe there's something there that I am missing.
I'm convinced McCain will pick Romney, Jindal, or Lieberman.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't cast a vote in this poll. You ask "Will you vote Democratic?" but you don't provide an option for "No."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Aside from the distraction around the Hilary/Obama race, I would ask, has there ever been an election year with such unimpressive choices on all sides? At a time when the western world is in a bit of a mess, it is a touch disappointing that the election of the most important world leader has drawn such poor candidates from each party imo.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytuesday View Post
I've lived in countries that aren't the US every year since I was born and most don't hate Americans, I'm very friendly with a few myself but whenever people ask them where they're from they have their standard joke response "I'm American, but nobody's perfect". If you think much of the world does not hate America then you must have forgotten about sept 11 already and thats just one giant example instead of pointing out the continued hatred that does not make the news daily. I think people have a right to complain if america does not provide relief. Like I'd be making a stand if the countries I'm from didn't contribute. Maybe that's why they might hate america, if there ignored by them and don't receive relief. Anyway I don't think they lead the world. America is last or near last on the list of western countries foreign aid. They give a lot but you can't expect a country of 6 million to match the contribution of America. If you look at the statistics america is far below the world leaders, I think last . . . .
I do not buy the whole statistical argument theory. I think it compares apples and oranges. Also, when America's private money is considered, it is even larger. But, people do not see it that way. So be it.

[/QUOTE] . . . . believe what you want its not even an opinion its a fact that that is not why a lot of world hates america. [/QUOTE]

Actually, it is not a fact. it is your opinion. Do you really think not even one person out there feels that way

Anyway - this is a dead horse.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Matthews View Post
Aside from the distraction around the Hilary/Obama race, I would ask, has there ever been an election year with such unimpressive choices on all sides? At a time when the western world is in a bit of a mess, it is a touch disappointing that the election of the most important world leader has drawn such poor candidates from each party imo.
uh lets' see maybe way back in 2004?I for one am happy to give Barack Obama a chance. After nearly eight years of suffering through the administration of perhaps the absolute worst President in American history I look forward to the day in January when I can say with some hope and expectation words that would have been unthinkable to utter since January of 2001 ..HE IS MY PRESIDENT.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
But you're American. I don't think you're going to get the same view as someone actually living in another country looking in. And to be fair Strand, a lot of that "America is the the undisputed leader of the world" arrogance is the exact reason why people hate the US.
I say America is the undisputed leader of the world because that is a fact. What other country provides the aid America does? Who do nations run to first? Who usually is first to provide aid? What other country leads like America does? So, factually, I am correct. If not - let's see the proof. So, whether people see that as arrogant is beside my point here. Though, I made the point earlier that I think people resent America for having that position. Is it the saying of it that pisses people off or seems arrogant - I guess so.

In the end, I think at times that America would be better off stopping all aid and going back to isolationism. Then, who would hate us. Likely, I suggest, even more people. So, America cannot win for losing so to speak.

Here is a cool article on the progession of America's leadership in the world:

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6807/wleader.html

Last edited by strandinthewind; 06-04-2008 at 12:24 PM..
Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I think all men of your ilk would think the same thing.
Ruined any film lately?

Old 06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ruined any film lately?
That would be just between me and my SD card! Get with the digital program; you're showing your age!