User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post

Truth be told, as much as I love SGCYM and DoR, I find myself skipping over them now because they don't fit the "feeling flow" and sound of the album. GoS didn't happen and I'm sad about that.. because had his SYW tracks been combined with some of the GoS demos, that would have been one hell of an album, but it didn't happen, and now, to my ear, SGCYM and DoR are a bit out of place. For the first.. oh.. 15 album listens, I was glad they're there. Now, 20+ listens later, they just don't match up at all for me.
Sarah, I thought about DOR the same way. I think it remains a great song but style-wise to me it is a difference. SGTYM though seems to fit perfectly imo. The reverb/echo sound of his voice, this hall-effect, is there in nearly every song.

I guess we now suffer from our GOS knowledge. To the most of us there now only were a couple of songs new. Therefore perhaps the flow of the album seems to be disturbed. With the exception of DOR, I think that is not the case for someone who hears the entire thing for the first time.

And the GOS album would have been great, yes. It wouldn`t have sold more, but that`s a different topic. In a way Murrow, Red Rover and Come have their wrong place on a FM album.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
In a way Murrow, Red Rover and Come have their wrong place on a FM album.
Agreed.

I love Mick & John being Lindsey's rhythm section.. but I wish they could do that under an individual setting, without the huge FM title. I'd love it if Lindsey's electric album was backed by Mick & John.. but I don't think the three will make a full album together ever, ever without it being called a FM project. The name just has all kinds of weight behind it.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Regarding Stevie and Lindsey. I start to wonder how real it all was. In the end...they went out a very short time and it was only dragged on because of the media for the most part and maybe a lot of drugs and alcohol.

The Dance was even bigger than it could have been because I believe a LOT of people, like me, saw something between Stevie and Lindsey. It was so hot to see them on stage and learn of their history. Their "love hate" relationship sold tickets.

But, though it breaks my heart, it was fake. It was all fake. They haven't considered each other in ages. They just played a game to sell tickets.

They are completely different people. Look who he married and look at Stevie...he didn't want Stevie at all.

It sucks...because I loved that magic but now I realize it's just fake. Oh well.

( but a tiny little part of me STILL wishes Stevie would release a bio and just admit that those two were all over each other until he met Kristin...LOL)
I think it is more like Stevie did'nt want him because of his O.C. personality, his ego, and need to control everything. So he hooked up with somebody who would put up with all that.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichora View Post
Yep I'm in agreement 'It was you' was for Kristen, as is 'Show you how'??
what's the interp of this song?
i just got the cd in the mail yesterday
and i LOVE the end chorus

how is he NOT talking about Stevie in that song
the 2 of them alone when the band went home
that is hot!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I think we need to start considering WHEN the songs were written and done a little more.

SGCYM and DoR were written .. most likely.. wayyy before Show You How and It Was You, which share some characteristics to my ear. I am Waiting and TTFTS were recorded way before too. Shut Us Down.. no idea when that was actually written, but I'd guess it was around the Elizabethtown time since it's a co-write. So.. that leaves us with Not Too Late, Under the Skin, CAD, and Juniper.. which all have a very similar feeling, imo.

Truth be told, as much as I love SGCYM and DoR, I find myself skipping over them now because they don't fit the "feeling flow" and sound of the album. GoS didn't happen and I'm sad about that.. because had his SYW tracks been combined with some of the GoS demos, that would have been one hell of an album, but it didn't happen, and now, to my ear, SGCYM and DoR are a bit out of place. For the first.. oh.. 15 album listens, I was glad they're there. Now, 20+ listens later, they just don't match up at all for me.

Analyzing this album all as "one piece" and one idea does not make a lick of sense because we know it's been in the works forever and ever. And I think it's REALLY, REALLY unfair to say that SGCYM and DoR are the "gems" because it sounds most like what we've already heard! We're just USED to them because we've had them on the village recorder and GoS demos forever.

I still love them, but just like the SYW stuff, quite frankly, I'm over it in the "new" feeling way. And if the new acoustic bits are what Lindsey wants to represent where he's going now, fine by me, he's got my attention. We're always holding up the banner of "ohh our Lindsey is so inventive and new" then when he actually DOES something pretty different for himself we want to call the recycled stuff we've already heard the only gem. That makes the temperature of my fan blood start to rise a bit. Maybe not boil, but rise, definitely.

And back on topic of It Was You, it almost sounds Mirage to me. I love the harmonies that are buried in the chorus. Are the Law and Order songs trite? Excuse the man for making a shorty. I find it to be a shining moment of happiness on a cd otherwise filled with tones of sadness, despair, and search for hope. This is a reflection of his life, and it's the only window he REALLY gives us to look at it. Trite is just offensive, regardless of who likes the song or doesn't.
I was thinking about that just this morning: how IWY compares to some of his other songs, lyrically, and wondering why some consider IWY to be trite. I was thinking trite meant trivial, of little consequence, and this was the reason that some don't care for the song. But the dictionary tells me that trite means worn out by constant use, no longer having freshness.

In any case, I don't find the song trivial or worn out. Although it's short and repetitive, it's not trivial. As for worn out, the only part of the song I dislike is the very beginning. Every time it starts, I almost get ready to skip it till I remember that it's IWY.

As for DOR, SGCYM, and TFTS, I love those songs and think they are extremely well done, but I tend to skip them. My own fault, because I listened to the GOS songs way too much. So I'm somewhat done with them for now. I still appreciate them, but right now I'm liking the "new" stuff.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl View Post
Although it's short and repetitive, it's not trivial. As for worn out, the only part of the song I dislike is the very beginning. Every time it starts, I almost get ready to skip it till I remember that it's IWY.

Heh. That's funny. I love the way he says "every day nahhh..day nahhh", so I end up skipping back and listening to the beginning a couple times then going on with the rest of the song.

I guess I just like the Lindsey accent, and how "now" doesn't sound like "now" at all.

I guess it's unfair for me to say I'm "tired" of the GoS songs. I'm not any more "tired" of them than I am the rest of his solo career.. I guess I'm just still in mode to listen to the newest stuff and figure it out as well as I know the others. I mean, I've heard the other songs so many times that I hear every little bitty sound and can pick out each and every piece of the harmonies. So really, I guess I'm just starting to put aside the tracks I already know and really start burning the new ones into my brain.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Heh. That's funny. I love the way he says "every day nahhh..day nahhh", so I end up skipping back and listening to the beginning a couple times then going on with the rest of the song.

I guess I just like the Lindsey accent, and how "now" doesn't sound like "now" at all.
I'm ok once he starts singing. It's something about the sound of whatever he is beating on at the very beginning.

As for his "accent," that's our Linds! Just so he doesn't overdo it, ala "Turn It On."
Old 10-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryscutter View Post
I think it is more like Stevie did'nt want him because of his O.C. personality, his ego, and need to control everything. So he hooked up with somebody who would put up with all that.
Depending on which way you look at it. They both have said horrible things about each other. They both went thru a lot of relationships and in the end, they are totally different people.

I just think that Lindsey really wanted a family and even if Stevie was perfect for him in time...she could never give him that.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Sarah, I thought about DOR the same way. I think it remains a great song but style-wise to me it is a difference. SGTYM though seems to fit perfectly imo. The reverb/echo sound of his voice, this hall-effect, is there in nearly every song.

I guess we now suffer from our GOS knowledge. To the most of us there now only were a couple of songs new. Therefore perhaps the flow of the album seems to be disturbed. With the exception of DOR, I think that is not the case for someone who hears the entire thing for the first time.

And the GOS album would have been great, yes. It wouldn`t have sold more, but that`s a different topic. In a way Murrow, Red Rover and Come have their wrong place on a FM album.
This is true. I never heard any of the GOS songs, save for a small bit of DOR very early on and only once. So the whole of UTS is new to me and therefore, sounds cohesive to my ears. I try not to listen to pre release demos because I cherish my CDs and want them to be fresh and new for as long as possible. Perhaps that's one reason I'm not a big demo fiend. Although I don't mind listening to the demos after the fact, as more of a historical reference. Believe me, it takes a lot of will power to NOT listen to early cut demos. So when you were a kid did you peek at your wrapped Christmas packages when they were under the tree?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Depending on which way you look at it. They both have said horrible things about each other. They both went thru a lot of relationships and in the end, they are totally different people.

I just think that Lindsey really wanted a family and even if Stevie was perfect for him in time...she could never give him that.
My point is even if she was perfect for him in time, he isnt perfect for her. I truly think she is happy he is married and she does'nt care about ever getting back together with him.