Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up The World Travel Thread

Today I've been working on a ton of schoolwork for much of the day. In the background, I've had the TV on Travel Channel, and for much of the day, Anthony Bourdain has been on, and it gets me thinking.

I love all kinds of different aspects of different cultures, and am definitely a strong food fan, and now I have this strong hankering to do some world travel- now more than ever. I would say my top 3 places to visit would be as follows:

1. Italy
2. Greece
3. The Caribbean

I never really have traveled out of the country- I walked to Canada once, but didn't really do anything once I was there. I do love America, what we stand for, and the beauty we carry, but there are definitely some worldly locales that I would love to visit- Sicily, Tuscany, Santorini and various other really stellar and culturally rich places.

So, what kind of world traveling have we done/ would we like to do????
Old 09-05-2010, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've been on an "Elvis Tour" of studios/homes and such in Memphis, Mississippi, Nashville and Tupelo which was amazing. I went on a tour of Graceland and, let me tell you, gaudy is not the word. Anybody who can use carpeted walls and lime green in a decorating scheme needs a checkup from the neck up. I'm from/in England so being in America was kind of a big deal :P

I've also been to France, but it didn't sit very well with me. The only thing I enjoyed about that trip was the Zoo :P A Monkey stole some of my money XD My own fault really. I was a child and thought it would be dead clever to stick a note through the bars and hold it there to taunt them. I don't like children lol.

I would LOVE to visit :-

* Tibet
* Greece
* India
* Easter Island
Old 09-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I almost never post on here anymore mainly because I've lost my spark for FM/Stevie (at least for the time being), but this is a good topic.

I went to Spain for study abroad this summer and loved it!
Also went to Portugal (a country that people don't really think about but it's actually a great place to vacation), Rome, and Morocco. Morocco was horrible but I'm glad I went. It was quite an experience.

Still want to get to Greece, more of Italy, Switzerland (Moritz, in particular), Australia...
Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been to Canada, France (a LOT), Italy, England and Bimini (but only for a few hours-- it's 2 hours away from Miami by yacht so I went in June). Funny enough, I feel like I haven't been to nearly enough places within the US! Going cross-country to Miami was a big deal for me. I've been to the east coast one other time (DC and briefly Pennsylvania) but that's it. Fail.

I really want to go to Greece and Thailand.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've been nearly everywhere in the US, but have never been out of the country. I've always felt I should try to fully absorb my own country before I tackle others. Anyway, I've decided whenever I can afford it, my first trip out of the country will be to Spain. I may throw in Portugal as well.

Spain has long fascinated me. It seems most everyone I've ever known has always focused on France, Italy, and England. I've never really had a desire to see any of those. Spain just seems much culturally richer, and more in tact than any of the aforementioned to me. I think the country's infamous, checkered past is fascinating. I love Spain's colorful art, mystical music, expressive food, and amalgamate architecture. Spaniards just seem so passionate about life, about enjoying it to it's fullest extent. Work is seemingly secondary to food, drink, art, and relationships. I can't wait to go!!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been lucky enough to travel quite a bit. I have visited the following places to this point:

England 3 times
France
Belgium
The Netherlands
Germany
Austria
Italy
Switzerland
Australia
Hong Kong
Canada
Mexico

This November I will be traveling for 15 days to Spain, Portugal, and Morocco. And next March I'll be spending a week in Rio Di Janeiro.

As far as places I'd still like to see that I havent been to, Ireland and New Zealand top the list.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The only time I've left the Lower 48 was to go to Hawaii when I was 12. Now that was some experience and to this day, I still love to tell people that I took a dip in the Pacific. In a few years from now, there's the possibility that me and my family might take a guided tour through Europe (or the UK at least), so that should be cool.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 09-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMlex View Post
I almost never post on here anymore mainly because I've lost my spark for FM/Stevie (at least for the time being), but this is a good topic.

I went to Spain for study abroad this summer and loved it!
Also went to Portugal (a country that people don't really think about but it's actually a great place to vacation), Rome, and Morocco. Morocco was horrible but I'm glad I went. It was quite an experience.

Still want to get to Greece, more of Italy, Switzerland (Moritz, in particular), Australia...
Alexa, it's good to see you back! We haven't talked in ages- let's change that!!