The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks very much for the update. I think the numbers are respectable anyway, for an album by someone her vintage and with virtually zero publicity. She still has fans and can still produce great stuff.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

By my estimates, Stevie has sold worldwide between 400 and 500K albums IYD and 24KG total. Not bad. Over 300K IYD, and 120K 24KG.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
But I believe Stevie DID think the same! A lot of her quotes on this point have been taken out of context. She's very proud of how IYD sold, and has spoken a lot about how she worked hard for every sale. Her frustration has centered more generally on the present nature of the music industry, piracy, the lack of real promotion from labels, and how records generally don't sell like they used to. Sure, she's expressed frustration that IYD didn't sell better, but also has acknowledged that the sales reflect a larger trend in the industry.
I agree. She was clearly proud of how hard she worked to move 300,000 units. She was just making the point that before the Internet an album like IYD would have easily gone platinum and without so much pushing.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There was no set up for 24k. It just happened. It's one of the best albums of her career.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
There was no set up for 24k. It just happened. It's one of the best albums of her career.
Miles ahead of In Your Dreams, but 24K still sounds like an
album of culls to me. Not all bad but still rejects.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Miles ahead of In Your Dreams, but 24K still sounds like an
album of culls to me. Not all bad but still rejects.
If you didn't know the history you wouldn't say that.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If you didn't know the history you wouldn't say that.
Actually, if I weren't as big of a fan as I am of her I'd probably
say much worse.

There hasn't been much I've liked from her since The Dance.
I did like the SoundStage performance. But other than that,
I've been very disappointed in her solo albums since Street Angel.

If it were just me being tired of her I don't think I'd still enjoy
Wild Heart and Bella Donna so much. I even like Rock A Little
and The Other Side Of The Mirror, though I hate the way they
recorded her voice on those two albums.

Foolishly I still wait for that last "good" album. One where she
actually writes new songs and sings them.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Actually, if I weren't as big of a fan as I am of her I'd probably
say much worse.

There hasn't been much I've liked from her since The Dance.
I did like the SoundStage performance. But other than that,
I've been very disappointed in her solo albums since Street Angel.

If it were just me being tired of her I don't think I'd still enjoy
Wild Heart and Bella Donna so much. I even like Rock A Little
and The Other Side Of The Mirror, though I hate the way they
recorded her voice on those two albums.

Foolishly I still wait for that last "good" album. One where she
actually writes new songs and sings them.
Well considering the fact that 24k is way better than Rock A Little and The Other Side, your problem seems to be that the songs aren't new. 24 k is on par with The Wild Heart and Bella Donna. It s just a much longer album.

I don't think you would like any thing she did since IYD was almost completely new. 24k was definitely better than that. You are just out of luck.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is pretty much a year since we first heard The Dealer in anticipation of the release of 24 Karat Gold, followed by Lady later in August. In May we were estimating sales of 120 thousand worldwide. I wonder if a few more thousand have added to that in the months since.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just thought I'd mention that in my local HMV store, which is in the UK, 24 Karat Gold was positioned right at the front of the store amongst albums that are in the charts!

Seeing the album near others such as Swift's 1989 and Adele's 25 was quite amazing as it didn't sell that many copies here when it was released over a year ago and now it's sitting with that lot!

I'm not sure whether they've made a mistake putting it there but it may see a dramatic and unexpected increase in Christmas sales locally because of it!

Just thought I'd share this weird and wonderful thing with you as I was really quite surprised. And Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Senior Ledgie

I connected my turntable to my digital 8-track and made this video for YouTube. Here's one of my faves from my vinyl copy of the album...Mabel Normand!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcV54QvZaY
Old 12-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well considering the fact that 24k is way better than Rock A Little and The Other Side, your problem seems to be that the songs aren't new. 24 k is on par with The Wild Heart and Bella Donna. It s just a much longer album.

(not sure why your quote didn't copy)

Right on!

I was never aware that songs have expiration dates. Just because it was a work in progress that lingered in relative obscurity for decades, forgotten, unfinished, abandoned, unreleased... it bares no judgment to its validity.

Any time I read vapid and disparaging quips like "there is a reason it was left in the vault " intimating that anything unused or old isn't worth releasing, it drives me crazy. These sentiments come from those who clearly have no artistic ability, or no understanding of how the creative process works.

I suspect Stevie has a lot of newer writings and potential songs that have not leaked out to social media, maybe masterpieces in waiting, written several years ago or twenty years ago. The genesis of a song is of no matter -- age doesn't determine potential.

Stevie evokes an alluring air of mystery and imagery by calling what may very well be just a file cabinet a vault (a skill of which she is very adept). Vaults are commonly used to safely secure precious objects and items of value, not a dank space used as a dumping ground for discards.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-24-2015 at 09:02 AM..
Old 12-24-2015, 08:57 AM
PenguinHead
This message has been deleted by PenguinHead. Reason: It's all the same, it's all the same
Old 12-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I don't think you would like any thing she did since IYD was almost completely new. 24k was definitely better than that. You are just out of luck.
See, I ADORED In Your Dreams. I'm obsessed with the title track and "Secret Love" but I really can't find anything on 24 Karat Gold that I like on that kind of level. The only thing that came close for me was that performance of "Lady" on Jimmy Fallon.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the problem for me with 24k is that too many of the songs drone on waaayyy too long. I know for some this is appealing, but to me, honestly, many of her songs could be cut easily by at least a minute. Take Lady....(please! ) but really- that could be cut by about a minute and a half. I like IYD more, but again, a number of the songs could be made shorter and should be. Wide Sargasso Sea is one of my faves on there but it really is hurt by too many repetitions of the chorus at the end. I blame Dave Stewart. He just isn't willing to be a proper editor for her work and she desperately needs one. 24k is a self-indulgent work. If you're going to finally release the songs, do something more interesting with them or just remaster the demos and put those out (I know, I know, can't really do that when she recorded them on little cassette recorders). 24k had so much promise and just didn't deliver.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
the problem for me with 24k is that too many of the songs drone on waaayyy too long. I know for some this is appealing, but to me, honestly, many of her songs could be cut easily by at least a minute. Take Lady....(please! ) but really- that could be cut by about a minute and a half. I like IYD more, but again, a number of the songs could be made shorter and should be. Wide Sargasso Sea is one of my faves on there but it really is hurt by too many repetitions of the chorus at the end. I blame Dave Stewart. He just isn't willing to be a proper editor for her work and she desperately needs one. 24k is a self-indulgent work. If you're going to finally release the songs, do something more interesting with them or just remaster the demos and put those out (I know, I know, can't really do that when she recorded them on little cassette recorders). 24k had so much promise and just didn't deliver.
Agree about Dave Stewart. I'm not sure he's an amazing producer, songwriter, or musician. He can get the job done, but I struggle to see him do anything truly original with Stevie's work. It actually seems that Stevie will dig her feet in when she feels she has a truly great creative idea but I don't think he's on her level enough to match her like her past producers or bandmates in FM.

I would like to hear her a little less safe with her vocals. The lyrics IMHO are fine, but if she keeps Dave as producer, I think she should sing like she means it, rather than just recite verses loudly. I think the closest we've gotten to that recently was the improv on I Don't Care. I wish her sound was a little less crisp and clean these days.

Last edited by lilyfee; 12-25-2015 at 01:04 AM..