The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only song I liked off of TIME is "Winds Of Change".
BTM......p.u.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Senior Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac: Tusk
Stevie Nicks: Bella Donna
Lindsey Buckingham: Out Of The Cradle

That is some goooooooood music!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristochango View Post
whoa behind the mask
Certainly one of their better albums...
Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Certainly one of their better albums...
It's not my favorite.... but I love how it sounds like a band recording...

I wish Sooner Or Later was on it... and I wish Mick would have done more with the solo outro of Sooner Or Later.... i.e. amp'd it up to a jazzy frenzy.... leaving the listener going... wow!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's not my favorite.... but I love how it sounds like a band recording...

I wish Sooner Or Later was on it...
No, you don't. It's better that Richard Dashut (he of the sharpshootin' ear) got his hands on it. In fact, it would have been much better if Dashut had got his hands on "Skies the Limit," "Save Me," & "Do You Know."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Why not, demon? I've always liked your aesthetic views.
Well I hate comparing it to a movie, but its the analogy that popped into my head. Like a really good album, you keep returning to it, right? If you really like a movie it remains timeless to you (no pun intended! HA)

TIME, to me, is something that seemed like it should've been greater considering the players involved. I like several of Chris' tunes but even at that point, to me, she seems ready to hang up the towel. I have never been able to appreciate Bekka Bramlett. I just don't like her voice. And I do NOT compare her to Stevie Nicks.

I think the band was more more balanced in 87-91 (with Rick Vito and Billy) alongside Stevie and Chris.

As for track #13, I find it particularly indulgent and a bit over the top. (as if Lindsey's now 4 minute guitar solo on ISA isnt? *Gasp!* HERESY!) HA....But at the end of the day if you're familiar with Mick at all, then there's no surprise there.

Blow By Blow, to me is one of Mason's worst. Typically I find him a great lead guitarist and his voice ain't half bad either but I prefer his work with Traffic. To me, he doesn't quite fit in with Fleetwood Mac. Although...in the balancing act that IS this band, I think Mason might be better suited alongside some guy like Vito or Buckingham. That would interest me.

I suppose in the end, as much as I'm trying to remain indifferent, I am still a slave to that "classic" Rumours line up of Fleetwood Mac. As far as the album goes, if it didn't have Christine McVie (who's voice is still superb) among the ranks, I don't know if I would know what I was listening to.

Last edited by mylittledemon; 05-07-2009 at 11:49 PM..
Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Bob Brunning?? Are you serious?? The man's a leach!!
I have used those exact words before. He wouldn't bug me if his book on the Mac weren't so irresponsibly written.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
No, you don't. It's better that Richard Dashut (he of the sharpshootin' ear) got his hands on it. In fact, it would have been much better if Dashut had got his hands on "Skies the Limit," "Save Me," & "Do You Know."
ok i'll give you that.... those productions are BTM are terrible
Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I suppose in the end, as much as I'm trying to remain indifferent, I am still a slave to that "classic" Rumours line up of Fleetwood Mac. As far as the album goes, if it didn't have Christine McVie (who's voice is still superb) among the ranks, I don't know if I would know what I was listening to.
I don't think you've a slave to it, it's simply what you prefer.

Personally I really resent being called "a lemming" because I don't enjoy Dave Mason's and Bekka's contributions to Fleetwood Mac. It's not in comparison to Stevie and Christine or whoever, even when you take previous members out of the equation it just does nothing for me. If, say, Shania Twain joined the band tomorrow I most likely wouldn't enjoy her version of Fleetwood Mac either and it isn't because she isn't Stevie Nicks, it's because I don't like Shania Twain.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
I don't think you've a slave to it, it's simply what you prefer.

Personally I really resent being called "a lemming" because I don't enjoy Dave Mason's and Bekka's contributions to Fleetwood Mac. It's not in comparison to Stevie and Christine or whoever, even when you take previous members out of the equation it just does nothing for me. If, say, Shania Twain joined the band tomorrow I most likely wouldn't enjoy her version of Fleetwood Mac either and it isn't because she isn't Stevie Nicks, it's because I don't like Shania Twain.
To me it isn't about being a lemming or not. When I say to someone that I like Fleetwood Mac, I mean the whole band not just five out of sixteen. I started in the same place as many people, liking the Rumours lineup. I started to dig around though, backwards and eventually forwards and appreciated it for what it was.

I always think that to truly appreciate the band, you need to experience everything pretty much from John Mayall onwards. Only my opinion though...

It is weird because when I listen to the Eagles I don't think to myself "Oh Bernie Leadon isn't here" etc. When I listen to a band like the Eagles I am listening to music by the Eagles not the individual members. Perhaps die-hard Eagles fans think differently.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
To me it isn't about being a lemming or not. When I say to someone that I like Fleetwood Mac, I mean the whole band not just five out of sixteen. I started in the same place as many people, liking the Rumours lineup. I started to dig around though, backwards and eventually forwards and appreciated it for what it was.

I always think that to truly appreciate the band, you need to experience everything pretty much from John Mayall onwards. Only my opinion though...

It is weird because when I listen to the Eagles I don't think to myself "Oh Bernie Leadon isn't here" etc. When I listen to a band like the Eagles I am listening to music by the Eagles not the individual members. Perhaps die-hard Eagles fans think differently.
Where I think of the Eagles I get gas a little....
Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Where I think of the Eagles I get gas a little....
Amen, brother.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Amen, brother.
I never did care for their brand of laid-back strophism. Strophoscopy. Strophostomy. Strophonectomy.

er . . . songwriting.

I can't think of a single Eagles song that I adore. They're always grouped with Fleetwood Mac, with whom they share only the commercial aspect of gazillions sold. But in terms of artistic approach, they are Fleetwood Mac's antithesis.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can't think of a single Eagles song that I adore. They're always grouped with Fleetwood Mac, with whom they share only the commercial aspect of gazillions sold. But in terms of artistic approach, they are Fleetwood Mac's antithesis.
Nightingale could have been taken direct from a FM album (Christine could have done a great version of it). Train Leaves Here This Morning could probably have fitted into Kiln House too...

The trick with the Eagles is to ignore the radio hits (as much as I like some of them)...

Hmm...I think we need a "Eagles songs that could have been covered by FM" thread????
Old 05-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
As far as the album goes, if it didn't have Christine McVie (who's voice is still superb) among the ranks, I don't know if I would know what I was listening to.

x2. I completely agree.

Even If
I Never
Hold You..
Again..