Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bob Brunning Discussion

Given the discussion about Danny Kirwan, I thought maybe we could switch the spotlight onto one of the most prolific yet most ignored members of Fleetwood Mac, Mr Bob Brunning.

Bob may have only been the bass player with Fleetwood Mac for a few short weeks, but he did write a book, play with Danny Kirwan and Mick Fleetwood in Tramp, and even had Peter Green play on a Brunning Sunflower album (Trackside Blues).

For those playing at home, here is an approximation of the Bob Brunning discography

FIVE'S COMPANY
The Ballad Of Fred the Pixie - 1969

BRUNNING SUNFLOWER
Bullen Street Blues - 1968
Trackside Blues - 1969
I Wish You Would - 1970
Brunning Hall Sunflower Blues Band - 1971

TRAMP
Tramp - 1969
Put A Record On - 1974

DE LUXE BLUES BAND
Live at the Half Moon, Putney - 1981
A Street Car Named De Luxe - 1981
Urban De Luxe - 1983
Motorvating - 1988
Deluxe Blues Band - 1988
The De Luxe Blues Band - 1994
Bob Brunning's Deluxe Blues Band - 1997
Blues Amongst Friends - 2003

Yes Bob was obviously running out of album titles by the time he got to the latter stages of his career!

Most of these albums have been deleted with the exception of some of the Brunning Sunflower stuff that still seems to be floating around.

Personally I quite enjoy Brunnings work, especially when Dave Kelly and Jo-Ann Kelly were on vocals on the Tramp albums. I also like the boogie woogie piano of Bob Hall. I actually was looking at a Bob Hall site the other night and noticed that it says "Over the years Bob (Hall) has made (literally) hundreds of recordings..." Ok that is getting a little off topic I know but I wonder how he finds the time? Wouldn't you hate to be a Bob Hall collector?

I have to admit that my favourite stuff is from the Tramp era, it was almost like another Fleetwood Mac version with Mick, Danny and Bob Brunning. Both Tramp and Brunning Sunflower contained light-hearted songs such as "I Met This Bird In Playboy", "Paternity Orders (keep on rollin' in)", "Now I ain't A Junkie Anymore" and the like. You get the impression that they were just bunch of guys (plus Jo-Ann Kelly) just having a good time and not taking things too seriously.

Strangely enough the more recent music sounds more like a resident band at the blues club than a professional outfit (though they sound like a good band at a good blues club). It also seems (and maybe this is just my impression) that the De Luxe Blues Band is more of a cover band than Brunning Sunflower was.

If you haven't heard Brunning's stuff then you should probably start with Tramp and Brunning Sunflower albums where the gems can be found.

However, for those of you who have taken the time to listen to Bob's stuff, what do you think? Do you have a favourite period of Brunning? Oh and while we are talking about Bob, do you think he should even be considered a true member of FM given that he only made it on to about three FM songs.

If anyone wants any of the albums that are no longer available let me know and I'll post them up here (the Tramp albums were posted up a couple of days back I think).
Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't have much to say about Brunning...since his bass playing doesn't really stand out like a McVie, Radle, Weeks or Dunn. But, he's solid.

A bit o' trivia re: Bob Hall....he was the original piano player in Savoy Brown.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

The first Tramp album and BSBB's "Bullen Street Blues" (particularly side 1 of BSB) are my faves and though he doesn't seem to like it much I like the Five's Company album too.

John
Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
The first Tramp album and BSBB's "Bullen Street Blues" (particularly side 1 of BSB) are my faves and though he doesn't seem to like it much I like the Five's Company album too.

John
Funny you should mention Five's Company John because I was listening to a bit of that last night.

It certainly is interesting to say the least. Other than that I'm not really sure of what to say about it

I guess it is ok for the novelty value but I'm not sure I'd want to put the album on for the musical value.

You know it actually sounds like something from a Monty Python sketch in parts - eg "Darling, I've Got Something To Tell You" or "Now I'm 64" (hoping the Americans know who Monty Python is???)
Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
it actually sounds like something from a Monty Python sketch in parts - eg "Darling, I've Got Something To Tell You" or "Now I'm 64" (hoping the Americans know who Monty Python is???)
Ah! That must be it! I couldn't put my finger on it but that must be the appeal to me.

John
Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ah! That must be it! I couldn't put my finger on it but that must be the appeal to me.

John
Do you know the Four Yorkshiremen sketch? Well I am a Yorkshireman by birth...
Old 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Given the discussion about Danny Kirwan, I thought maybe we could switch the spotlight onto one of the most prolific yet most ignored members of Fleetwood Mac, Mr Bob Brunning.

Bob may have only been the bass player with Fleetwood Mac for a few short weeks, but he did write a book, play with Danny Kirwan and Mick Fleetwood in Tramp, and even had Peter Green play on a Brunning Sunflower album (Trackside Blues).

For those playing at home, here is an approximation of the Bob Brunning discography

FIVE'S COMPANY
The Ballad Of Fred the Pixie - 1969

BRUNNING SUNFLOWER
Bullen Street Blues - 1968
Trackside Blues - 1969
I Wish You Would - 1970
Brunning Hall Sunflower Blues Band - 1971

TRAMP
Tramp - 1969
Put A Record On - 1974

DE LUXE BLUES BAND
Live at the Half Moon, Putney - 1981
A Street Car Named De Luxe - 1981
Urban De Luxe - 1983
Motorvating - 1988
Deluxe Blues Band - 1988
The De Luxe Blues Band - 1994
Bob Brunning's Deluxe Blues Band - 1997
Blues Amongst Friends - 2003

Yes Bob was obviously running out of album titles by the time he got to the latter stages of his career!

Most of these albums have been deleted with the exception of some of the Brunning Sunflower stuff that still seems to be floating around.

Personally I quite enjoy Brunnings work, especially when Dave Kelly and Jo-Ann Kelly were on vocals on the Tramp albums. I also like the boogie woogie piano of Bob Hall. I actually was looking at a Bob Hall site the other night and noticed that it says "Over the years Bob (Hall) has made (literally) hundreds of recordings..." Ok that is getting a little off topic I know but I wonder how he finds the time? Wouldn't you hate to be a Bob Hall collector?

I have to admit that my favourite stuff is from the Tramp era, it was almost like another Fleetwood Mac version with Mick, Danny and Bob Brunning. Both Tramp and Brunning Sunflower contained light-hearted songs such as "I Met This Bird In Playboy", "Paternity Orders (keep on rollin' in)", "Now I ain't A Junkie Anymore" and the like. You get the impression that they were just bunch of guys (plus Jo-Ann Kelly) just having a good time and not taking things too seriously.

Strangely enough the more recent music sounds more like a resident band at the blues club than a professional outfit (though they sound like a good band at a good blues club). It also seems (and maybe this is just my impression) that the De Luxe Blues Band is more of a cover band than Brunning Sunflower was.

If you haven't heard Brunning's stuff then you should probably start with Tramp and Brunning Sunflower albums where the gems can be found.

However, for those of you who have taken the time to listen to Bob's stuff, what do you think? Do you have a favourite period of Brunning? Oh and while we are talking about Bob, do you think he should even be considered a true member of FM given that he only made it on to about three FM songs.

If anyone wants any of the albums that are no longer available let me know and I'll post them up here (the Tramp albums were posted up a couple of days back I think).

Far be it from me to ever say someone hasn't got talent. I'm not a bass player, nor a professional musician (mainly a "hack" at the drums and I don't know that I'd even go that far since I've not played in ages) so for this thread, I will only make the following comment:

He's tried to make a minor career of his short-lived membership with the Mac. It's actually quiet sad in my opinion.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
Far be it from me to ever say someone hasn't got talent. I'm not a bass player, nor a professional musician (mainly a "hack" at the drums and I don't know that I'd even go that far since I've not played in ages) so for this thread, I will only make the following comment:

He's tried to make a minor career of his short-lived membership with the Mac. It's actually quiet sad in my opinion.
I think it would be more accurate to say he'd sold books based on his short-lived membership with FM. His professional musical career lasted about as long as the British blues boom, and maybe a bit longer, but then he is a very competent blues bass player. I don't think there's any evidence that he prolonged his musical career solely due to his time with FM. He did quit the music business to work as a teacher, after all - the Deluxe Blues Band stuff was all part-time.

What might be a bit sad is regularly trawling around the world trotting out songs you wrote over 30 years ago
Old 10-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Do you know the Four Yorkshiremen sketch? Well I am a Yorkshireman by birth...
HA! Let's see, who had it toughest growing up?!

I agree with those here that say De Luxe Blues Band was part time, I always thought of them as semi-pro.

The part I don't get about Bruns is he seems to enjoy talking about his recording career in his books & CD liner notes yet when I tried to ask him questions about his recordings, especially the ones people probably never ask him about (so he can't say he's "tired of those questions") whether it be in his Q&A here or in e mails (when I could get replies from him that is), he's almost like put out or he doesn't want to talk about them, so hmm...

John
Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What's sad is that his Fleetwood Mac "biography" is more about Buckingham-Nicks' haircuts and tantrums than Peter Green's band. Which means 1) He went for cheap gossip (more money) when there was little interest in the Original Band 2) He didn't remember much about/didn't care for his time in the Original Band.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
I think it would be more accurate to say he'd sold books based on his short-lived membership with FM. His professional musical career lasted about as long as the British blues boom, and maybe a bit longer, but then he is a very competent blues bass player. I don't think there's any evidence that he prolonged his musical career solely due to his time with FM. He did quit the music business to work as a teacher, after all - the Deluxe Blues Band stuff was all part-time.

What might be a bit sad is regularly trawling around the world trotting out songs you wrote over 30 years ago
Actually Brunning is one of the few who don't seem to play on the fact that they were in Fleetwood Mac. Sure he wrote a book about them, but then he was perhaps in a unique position to do so. I know lots of people don't like his book but I quite enjoyed it.

As for promoting Fleetwood Mac membership, people like Dave Mason, Dave Walker and Bob Welch seem to use that more.

His solo blues career outlasted the British blues boom though, 1968 - 2003 (and who knows if he has finished yet).
Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

John
Well John I think Brunning only has two fans of his solo work - me and you - and I've got you to thank for getting me in to all that DLBB stuff in the first place...

No this isn't correct I do have all his records in my collection, from the BSBB to the DBB, including of course the two Tramp cds!

Mario.

Last edited by Mario; 10-22-2009 at 10:44 AM..
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Mario
This message has been deleted by Mario. Reason: mistake
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As for promoting Fleetwood Mac membership, people like Dave Mason, Dave Walker and Bob Welch seem to use that more.
I disagree about both Dave's. Neither one has really capitalized on or made a big deal about their short-lived FMac tenures. Mason has his OWN career well in hand although the press occasionally will mention his time in FMac, Dave himself doesn't...although he DOES play on his being one of the original members of Traffic, however. (since THAT got him into the R&RHoF).

Dave Walker? Nah...he's actually more well known as a one-time Savoy Brown front man than his short lived Fleetwood Mac time.

And, Welch? Why not?...he was a major contributor to Fleetwood Mac for 5 wonderful albums....plus, as Mick said in his book "Bob Welch saved Fleetwood Mac".
If ANYONE has the credentials to use his membership in Fleetwood Mac to further his career, it's Bob Welch.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Actually Brunning is one of the few who don't seem to play on the fact that they were in Fleetwood Mac. Sure he wrote a book about them, but then he was perhaps in a unique position to do so. I know lots of people don't like his book but I quite enjoyed it.

His solo blues career outlasted the British blues boom though, 1968 - 2003 (and who knows if he has finished yet).
I'm not sure about Dave Mason, and I think ChiliD is right about Bob Welch, but I think Dave Walker plays his Mac time down if anything. I don't think it's a good memory for him.

And I meant Brun's professional music career - sure, he has played part-time all along.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post

Let me try to clarify what I was trying to say. What I meant was that, IMHO, the man has tried to capitalize on his "celebrity" due to having a brief connection to FM by writing a horrible book (again IMHO) which I regularly equate to trying to read "War and Peace" backwards in a mirror in the original Russian, because it's so poorly written!!!!

I have no comment on the man's ability as a musician. As I said before, I'd feel lucky for someone to consider me a "hack" at the drums at this point as I've not played in so long, so I'm in no position to comment on Brunning's abilities with the bass.

I'd agree with you that it's sad to run all over the world singing songs you wrote 30 years ago, if you don't have any new material to go along with it. That's a major reason (as well as ticket price) that I won't see any shows on the "Unleashed" tour.

Cheers!!