Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thanks for sharing that about your parents. Putting together collages like that can be cathartic when dealing with grief.

Although I agree with everything you said, I think it’s important to point out that what was appropriate for a funeral is much different than a concert. Fans paid big money to see Stevie in concert, and I don’t think it was egotistical that a majority of the pictures had Stevie with Christine. I thought the song and photos were beautifully done, there were a number of pictures of Christine I had never seen before.

One thing I really wish Stevie had done was played a Christine song instead of Running Down a Dream. Everywhere seems to be played, hate to say it, but everywhere these days, so that would have been a nice reminder for the crowd of Christine’s talent.
You are still missing the point. A memorial is a celebration of life regardless when the death happened. Stevie chose or her people chose glossy glamour shots of her and Stevie together. A bit of ego there regardless of how beautiful the photos are. Prince played on one Stevie track. They crossed paths a few times during their career. Not many photos of them together or none at all. Yet they were photoshopped together making it look like Prince played guitar in her If Anyone Falls video. Imagine if you die and someone photoshops you into the moon landing photo. Its almost a joke.
See a pattern? Its making it about HER just as much as the person in the memorial. That's wrong. Stevie was only a small part in Chris's life. Stevie was even a smaller part of Prince's life. Its Stevie's concert and no one better forget its all about Stevie.
That's all.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-13-2023 at 08:14 AM..
Old 03-13-2023, 08:16 AM

By the way, Macfan. I was booking a trip to Vegas to see Bonnie Raitt. I know someone that deals with tickets for one of those stupid companies. Anywho, she was telling me that Stevie was in town too. And.... her show is 60% unsold. In talking about this, she said, "No opening act or other support act like Pretenders to draw in another segment of the market"

I decided to see Bonnie instead. $100 for front row second section behind main section. Small theater. I'm excited!! Last year Bonnie was in Los Angeles at the Greek and tickets were $500-750. Her new album is fantastic. I guess it also won a grammy. Yes, she still writes and creates new music.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
By the way, Macfan. I was booking a trip to Vegas to see Bonnie Raitt. I know someone that deals with tickets for one of those stupid companies. Anywho, she was telling me that Stevie was in town too. And.... her show is 60% unsold. In talking about this, she said, "No opening act or other support act like Pretenders to draw in another segment of the market"

I decided to see Bonnie instead. $100 for front row second section behind main section. Small theater. I'm excited!! Last year Bonnie was in Los Angeles at the Greek and tickets were $500-750. Her new album is fantastic. I guess it also won a grammy. Yes, she still writes and creates new music.
WHY would Bonnie still create new music? Stevie says that no one buys it! Stevie's show is 60% unsold?

Old 03-13-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
WHY would Bonnie still create new music? Stevie says that no one buys it! Stevie's show is 60% unsold?

Because she still sounds fabulous and does indeed cover other people's comps.
The album has a few of her own songs. One of which won song of the year.
It's an absolutely stunning song. (This is a beautiful story)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skd0XR3twCA
Old 03-13-2023, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

I'm not shocked for a minute that her ticket sales might not be great. Take a look at the Billy/Stevie show in Columbus. It's not setting the world on fire, $200 to be a country mile from the stage in the very back row.

Her ticket sales did really well last summer/fall because everyone was in a post pandemic ticket frenzy.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
BIG MONEY. These tickets were very pricey. I don't know that she could do a Christine song and make is listenable. If you listen to some of the clips, she's off key in a lot of places in her own material.

Some people liked Stop Draggin, but to me it was really bad. But, they are paying to see legends on stage and that's what they got. I guess a lot of Billy fans were upset she sang on one of his songs. But that's what a high end cash grab is. Nostalgia and legendary status.
Sorry for the confusion- I didn’t mean that Stevie should have sang Everywhere. According to some reviews I read, before Stevie came out they played Tom Petty’s song Running Down a Dream over the speakers. I meant it would have been nice if they had played Everywhere instead.

I saw the duet between Billy and Stevie and thought it was cool. But then again, I’ve always been a fan of that sort of thing, seeing artists perform material not originally meant for them. Maybe that’s why I enjoyed the last FM tour so much. Although I’m not a huge Billy Joel fan, I thought he performed that song with gusto even though it was outside his element somewhat. You’re right, legendary status does play a role in all this.

I still think it would have been so much fun to have seen Billy and Stevie play Don’t Stop instead, not just as a tribute to Christine but because Billy on piano would have been such a natural!
Old 03-13-2023, 08:49 AM

It sounded like bad karaoke to me. Did not sound like professionals were doing it, nor legends. Forced and all over the place.

But again, people are going to see them, not so much how they perform. So the bar gets lowered quite a bit.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 03-13-2023 at 08:59 AM..
Old 03-13-2023, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie screwed it up so much that it's logical to see the reactions I'm reading, but I think it's too much for me and I even find it funny.

If she appears in the pictures with Christine, it's because of her huge ego.
If she doesn't appear, sure that confirms they were never best friends.
Whatever she does it's an opportunity for demonize her.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie just needs to retire ..it is getting to Baby Jane Hudson proportions.

Old 03-13-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Stevie just needs to retire ..it is getting to Baby Jane Hudson proportions.
But cha are in that chair, Blanch!!!
Old 03-13-2023, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Stevie screwed it up so much that it's logical to see the reactions I'm reading, but I think it's too much for me and I even find it funny.

But what if she really is a demon?
Old 03-13-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
But what if she really is a demon?
Goat demon???
Old 03-13-2023, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Goat demon???
YES
Cast ye demons out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWJUemGWuvs
Old 03-13-2023, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post

For some people, that will certainly be the case, just as for some people whatever Christine did was dull or tiresome or getting in the way of LB/SN greatness.

But I DO think the tribute was touching. I have not been a fan of Stevie's behavior these past 10-15 years, but I think she was generous to donate this space to Christine at her own concert. As I say earlier in this thread, the fact that people in the crowd were chanting "Christine!" as Stevie and her band took bows says that Stevie's generous gesture made an impact.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
As I say earlier in this thread, the fact that people in the crowd were chanting "Christine!" as Stevie and her band took bows says that Stevie's generous gesture made an impact.
That's why she was crying at the end.