User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
personally, i think burning bridges line is much more irritating than "i can't grasp".
Yes, I think he intends something with the bridges line, but when he says "I can't grasp" I don't think he's saying, "I have no idea why she left the group." I think he's saying that she had personal reasons for starting such a clean slate that he was not privy to and is indicating that she didn't just leave Fleetwood Mac, she left the entire life she had here.

While he knew she wanted to go back to England and had been wanting that, not just since her dad died, but since Homeward Bound, maybe he didn't think she would pull up all the California stakes like she did. She has an apartment in London. Maybe she thought she might keep a base in California too, even if it wasn't her full time residence and he didn't realize when she left in 1997 that it would be quite as complete a break as it has been.

Michele
Old 05-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, I think a google search should bring it up. People post articles here all of the time contemporanously, predating the SYW tour and there's no post saying they actually had a dinner and Lindsey didn't come here. Although there are posts from people, like yourself, saying that they think they read it somewhere and can't remember where.

In fact, all the posted articles and interviews I have are of Mick talking about planning to have dinner with Christine -- she would be making it for them -- but then they don't talk about what happened afterwards. Christine talks about seeing them all and how tired they looked. John talks about the rumor that Christine would perform and says that that was never going to take place. We also have a picture of them from the SYW tour (but not Unleashed), but I don't see anything that says they had dinner, much less that they had dinner and everyone failed to come but Lindsey.

As far as Lindsey being more generous now, if you want to point out anything that he's saying today as an example, I can find an interview where he said the same thing 10 years ago. I have them all right here and his comments about Christine haven't changed. So, tell me what you mean and I'll find you the quote.

I mean he said how much he loved and missed her back then and talked about her leaving too, explaining what he meant by burning her bridges. He did talk about her leaving not hurting their stage show, making it more manly, etc., back then, which is not something he's harping on in the interviews from the last couple of weeks.

Michele
I've tried googling it but I can't find anything. Why would I remember that about the dinner? It doesn't make sense. I suppose it wouldn't be a Corey Buckingham blog or anything like that. Oh well. I will have to bow to the source with the collection of articles.

Are we agreed, at least, that there was more to the break-up post-Dance than we have led to believe?
Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post

Are we agreed, at least, that there was more to the break-up post-Dance than we have led to believe?
I do recall that interview where Stevie said in the end even Christine knew that Stevie and Lindsey just wanted to sing together. So, with that and with the fact that Stevie and Lindsey did their Landslide/Big Love which, to me, seemed odd, I do wonder if maybe Christine felt a little excluded when she left. It's hard to say.

I think in the end Christine mainly left because she was ready to go, not that there was a precipitating factor.

But, what I do think is that they were upset about Christine leaving, which is something they didn't admit to. They said that they missed her, but none of them admitted that they were actually a little angry too, just like they were angry when Lindsey left in 1987.

Christine said some people were upset about her leaving and she talked about being in touch with Mick and Stevie at that time (later she and John were in touch and shared gardening tips and recipes, but I mean before that, it didn't seem like she was talking to John either), so I just have to assume that the people who were most upset with her were Lindsey and John, if I do the process of elimination.

Secondly, Stevie made 2 comments in 2003 that may have less significance than I give them, but to me they seem telling. One she said that if Christine doesn't want to be in the band anymore, then that is what Christine gets. And that petulant phrasing indicates to me that at the time, Stevie was feeling a little hurt about Christine's decision herself. And she also said that Lindsey decides whether or not he wants to be in the band and the rest of them say yes or no and Christine said no. Just the way Stevie put it, I could see how Lindsey might be feeling that Christine said no, not just to FM, but to him in particular and that he was taking it personally.

Also, Lindsey did keep saying how much fun he was having being manly after Christine left and I did take that as sour grapes on his part.

Quote:
I suppose it wouldn't be a Corey Buckingham blog or anything like that.
It could, but we usually post and talk about that stuff here, so it should come up in posts here in search. For instance, I was just reading an old thread about a radio interview Christine gave where she joked about the "judicious" airbrushing that was used on her and we had this big discussion about what she meant when she said she they went into the studio to cut Don't Stop for the Clinton performance. We thought they performed the song live and didn't know why they had to "cut" anything. So, we didn't have the audio interview, but we were discussing the subject matter it raised here.

Michele
Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM

Michele, remember when Christine stated in an interview that people were trying to "bend her arm". I always thought it was Mick. Maybe it was Lindsey.

I don't really understand Stevie's 2nd comment. What does she mean?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think that is clear. And we know that when the band does publicity, they don't want to tell us any more than they have to. They are pros at dealing with the media, and with rambling about the same stories over and over to avoid causing any more tension among band members. I wonder though, now that the band is getting older, if Christine might have had a health scare which was hushed up. We are kind of speculating here, though we seem to agree that band relationships were at best strained in 1997-98, the Grammys, the Thrown Down theories on top of what we've heard about Christine's anxieties. All I know is that in The Dance video she does not look like she is enjoying herself. Like I said, jokingly, it could be the result of a facelift not yet settled...or there were certainly many other things going on behind the scenes that haven't been brought to light.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

I don't really understand Stevie's 2nd comment. What does she mean?
Yes, I don't know what Stevie means either, but the way she put it made it seem like 2003 was Lindsey's baby and it was like Christine was saying "no" to him personally or at least that's how Stevie (and maybe Lindsey) saw it. This is Stevie's comment:

Quote:
"Lindsey either wants to be in Fleetwood Mac, or he doesn't," she stressed. "So he decided he wanted to do it again. And when he decides he wants to do it again, we all either say 'No,' or we say 'Yes.' Christine said 'No,' and the rest of us said 'Yes, we'll do it, we'll give it one more run.' And we all felt that we could do another great album, or we wouldn't have done it."
Michele
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie had 'radical life change'

Published Tuesday, May 14 2013, 11:05am EDT | By Justin Harp Digital Spy

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news...#ixzz2TJsRKkPz

Lindsey Buckingham has suggested that a "radical life change" led Christine McVie to quit Fleetwood Mac.

McVie retired from the band following their reunion tour in 1997, and has thus far refused to rejoin them for any of their subsequent concert treks.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Buckingham explained that McVie has decided to lead a secluded life in her later years.

"She was just in need of a radical life change," the guitarist explained. "She pretty much burned all her bridges in Los Angeles. She sold her house, ended her relationship, quit the band and moved back to England."

He continued: "It was a fairly sweeping set of changes, and something she needed to do for her reasons, though I'm not particularly clear on what those were."

Buckingham went on to admit that Fleetwood Mac have definitely felt McVie's absence on their subsequent world tours.

"We all miss her, and we miss the equation that fivesome made," he commented. "It's a different equation with the four. But for me, it actually opened up an opportunity to be a little more myself onstage. When you divide the material more or less down the middle, it gives me more of a chance to be the guy, and to be the kind of presence and energy I am onstage."

Stevie Nicks also recently spoke in detail about McVie's departure from the band, and insisted that her former colleague will likely never return.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news...#ixzz2TJsUyz7d
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
It's nice that he's so open regarding writing about Stevie. Even I had not supposed all three of the new songs on "Extended Play" were about her.
True, I didn't think that about It Takes Time either. Due to the connection with Show You How, I thought of Kristen with respect to It Takes Time.

I certainly think Show You How is about Stevie, the shadow singer, but I also thought it was about the woman who helped him move on past the spectre of Stevie. So, I thought It Takes Time was a new song, but that it shared a message with an older one and I wouldn't automatically say it was about Stevie.

But I laughed when he was asked and he said, yeah I would think so and the writer said, 'Ok, well I was wondering, because you have had other relationships . . ' Sometimes, it is hard to lose sight of the fact that these people have had other relationships.

Michele
Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But I laughed when he was asked and he said, yeah I would think so and the writer said, 'Ok, well I was wondering, because you have had other relationships . . ' Sometimes, it is hard to lose sight of the fact that these people have had other relationships.

Michele
That made me laugh as well. Cheeky writer.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Count me in as someone who was VERY pleasantly surprised Lindsey copped to It Takes Time also being about Stevie. I'd thought that was the case but it's nice to have confirmation.

"Maybe I've wasted all this precious time
Trying to prove what is and isn't mine
Wondering to myself if you knew
It was all for you"
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Michele, remember when Christine stated in an interview that people were trying to "bend her arm". I always thought it was Mick. Maybe it was Lindsey.
Could be. This is one of the arm twisting comments from an interview with Steve Wright:

Quote:
SW: But if they tour again and they say 'look Christine you know, you fancy coming in on a few gigs... you would do that?

CMV: We'll they've already done a couple of tours without me, no... they have asked me and sort of tried to

TS: They gigged last year...

CMV:...break my arm

TS: ..they gigged last year... why didn't you... join them on stage?

CMV: Well they asked me to, but I think... I think I just got stage shy in the end I just thought' I haven't done this for so many years I'll probably have a heart attack probably on stage' [laughs] now, you know

SW :[laughs]Get off!

CMV: No no it's true
This is the Mojo comment of hers that leads me to think that maybe Lindsey and John were upset, but she doesn't say that. She speaks of all of them being miffed, but she had also just said in the preceding sentence that she was in touch with Mick and Stevie -- which made me think, what about Lindsey and John?:

Quote:
I’m often in touch with Mick and occasionally speak to Stevie, but not so much Lindsey, and John. I still have a tender affection for all of them, but they were slightly miffed at my leaving. When they played here last year I saw them at Earl’s Court. They were bloody great. For the first time in my life, I was able to see Fleetwood Mac as others saw us. I went backstage to see Stevie, and she said, “Oh, Chris, I am so knackered!” Music is her life, and she’s still brilliant at what she does, but I don’t have the slightest twinge of envy.
Also, in addition to all the other reasons (fear of flying, panic attacks, missing her brother and his family) add fear of earthquakes to why Christine left. This is from Newsday:

Quote:
McVie, who wrote Mac's most mainstream hits, from "Don't Stop" to "You Make Lovin' Fun," says what led her to ditch Mac dates to the 1994 earthquake in her adopted home of L.A.

"I lost so much sleep over whether I would be in another one," she says.

Last edited by michelej1; 05-14-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Old 05-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=sodascouts;1092760]It's nice that he's so open regarding writing about Stevie. Even I had not supposed all three of the new songs on "Extended Play" were about her.

Totally,
"no one understands this man. no one ever will. til his dying day, he was heard to say... he loves her still"
Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm pretty sure Stevie did not say she was knackered.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I'm pretty sure Stevie did not say she was knackered.
Being American, I actually had to google what that meant. I thought it had some relation to 'knickers' and was very confused.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Being American, I actually had to google what that meant. I thought it had some relation to 'knickers' and was very confused.
Haha, I googled it too. But I knew it was not an American word.