Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Heroes Are Hard To Find

Ok older Ledgies:

Who bought this album around the time it was released and what did you think of it? I want to hear the State of FMac during this period from your eyes and ears.

BTW I really love this album.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heroes Are Hard To Find was the current album when I first started taking notice of the band - this would have been in the fall of '75, during my freshman year in college. My dorm roommate was a fan and he had most of their US-released records up to that point. Songs from HAHTF were on the local FM radio station - I remember "Silver Heels" in particular was getting a fair amount of airplay. Don't clearly recall which other songs were on the radio at the time, maybe "She's Changing Me"? "Prove Your Love"? "Come A Little Bit Closer"? Not really sure.

I think since that was my first exposure to the band, I've always liked this album, even though it doesn't seem to be that highly-regarded these days. Even though nothing on the album is a big highlight for me, I still find most of the songs very pleasant and there aren't any that I find unlistenable - I can't say that about some of their other albums. I can put this one on and listen all the way through it very happily.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE Heroes Are Hard To Find. It's my second favorite album from the 1970-1974 period. It's among my top 5 albums from any period of Fleetwood Mac. I love Christine & Bob together. Unfortunately, I didn't get the album when it came out because at that time I'd never heard of Fleetwood Mac. I think I got it sometime in the early 1990's when it was first released on CD.

There's really nothing on the album that I truly dislike in any way. I like the whole atmosphere of the album, which is due to Bob Welch. Specifically, I LOVE "Come A Little Bit Closer", "Prove Your Love" & "She's Changing Me". And, "Bermuda Triangle", "Heroes Are Hard To Find", "Silver Heels" & "Bad Loser" aren't very far behind.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Hero's

I love this one too- Was one of my first Fleetwood Mac albulms, along with Bare Trees and then Mystery to me. I used to listen to all 3 all the time. Just loved it, it was mellow and it was bluesish, but it was also rockin and had that entire 70's feel to it. You know the all together in a dorm room, somewhat studying, and Getting high, listening to tunes...(well, not me personally...but I have heard of people that did that

Anyway loved the Mac then and also loved the new flavor when they added Buckingham/Nicks...although I do miss Bob Welch-

Just my memories
~~eclipse~~

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 07-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I LOVE Heroes Are Hard To Find. It's my second favorite album from the 1970-1974 period. It's among my top 5 albums from any period of Fleetwood Mac. I love Christine & Bob together. Unfortunately, I didn't get the album when it came out because at that time I'd never heard of Fleetwood Mac. I think I got it sometime in the early 1990's when it was first released on CD.
I'm trying to remember when I first bought it. I think it was back around 1980 or so. There were lots of Fleetwood Mac interviews on the radio, & in those days, the radio shows used to talk about the 1967-1974 incarnations & play music from those albums. For example, Jim Ladd's Innerview of Stevie Nicks in 1979 opens with "Safe Harbour" playing in the background. I was as fascinated by that music as I was with what Stevie & Jim were saying. That's probably when I tracked down a cassette or vinyl of the "Heroes" album. That's typically what turned me on to the older stuff: radio stuff that would play it. I remember the wonderful Source special two-part interview in 1980 played "Hypnotized" & "Prove Your Love" as background for various things Sam Graham was saying. The whole earlier mystique of Fleetwood Mac began to take shape in my mind.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I'm trying to remember when I first bought it. I think it was back around 1980 or so. There were lots of Fleetwood Mac interviews on the radio, & in those days, the radio shows used to talk about the 1967-1974 incarnations & play music from those albums. For example, Jim Ladd's Innerview of Stevie Nicks in 1979 opens with "Safe Harbour" playing in the background. I was as fascinated by that music as I was with what Stevie & Jim were saying. That's probably when I tracked down a cassette or vinyl of the "Heroes" album. That's typically what turned me on to the older stuff: radio stuff that would play it. I remember the wonderful Source special two-part interview in 1980 played "Hypnotized" & "Prove Your Love" as background for various things Sam Graham was saying. The whole earlier mystique of Fleetwood Mac began to take shape in my mind.

What's weird about this period, is that the mystique as you say is just as apparent, although differently, as the crystal visions of the B/N era... Bob and Christine have quite a unique harmonious relationship. They create a colour simliar to each of their own colours. Combined it sounds almost double tracked, yet some the chords are jazz chords, (much different than LB and SN harmony) and even had some 5/4 songs. I think Emerald Eyes is 5/4.

This period can be a lot of fun for people who like to listen to astounding recordings.