Bombay Sapphires (I prefer the demo)
Love Is (I prefer the demo)
Thrown Down (Wall of Sound)
Smile at You
Illume
Moonlight (A Vampire’s Dream)
Annabel Lee
Mabel Normand
Agree with Thrown Down (Wall of Sound). Amazing vocals. It should have been on TISL and released as the first single.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I don't know why Stevie gets dinged for co-writing when honestly it's more the norm than not. Male writers who co-write don't get any blowback for it --Elton John never writes solo, Lennon and McCartney wrote together more than solo, Mick and Keith co-write most Stones songs, Tom Petty frequently co-wrote with Mike and others..... within FM Christine co-writes frequently especially post-Tusk. Lindsey doesn't really co-write, but then, not really surprising. Stevie just isn't a super talented musician, and her chord repertoire and playing capability kinda ran its course-- and even her early BN/FM stuff was tweaked and edited by LB so not necessarily entirely her own. Her stuff with Dave was him starting with her lyrics and the two of them working out a melody and arrangement, so the music isn't really entirely his.
And next to singing her talent is as a lyricist. I often think of Chris and Lindsey commenting on The Chain. They may think you’re kooky. They may not understand it. But they know the words sounds good. And they know it’s you. Indelible.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

1. Moonlight (A Vampire's Dream). Tho I only ever play the extended version I made.
2. Trouble In Shangri-La
3. Destiny Rules
4. If You Ever Did Believe
5. Thrown Down
6. Mabel Normand
7. Planets Of The Universe [Extended Album Version]

and these probably don't count for this thread, but I play them an awful lot:

Edge of Seventeen (Live w/ The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra)
Dreams (Deep Dish Album Version) - well it's a new vocal
Stand Back (Tracy Takes You Home Radio Edit)
Old 09-09-2020, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Planets of the Universe
Everyday (yes—I like this tune)

Throw Down
Everybody Finds Out
Say You Will
Illume
Destiny Rules (She kicked butt on SYW)

Moonlight
Annabelle Lee

Lady (IMO: the best performance and song of her later career)

Largely, I stuck to the hits. Her solo albums are spotty. SYW Stevie really came through....
Old 09-09-2020, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Planets of the Universe
Everyday (yes—I like this tune)

Throw Down
Everybody Finds Out
Say You Will
Illume
Destiny Rules (She kicked butt on SYW)

Moonlight
Annabelle Lee

Lady (IMO: the best performance and song of her later career)

Largely, I stuck to the hits. Her solo albums are spotty. SYW Stevie really came through....
I agree with almost everything you said. I agree that SYW is probably Stevie's best contributions to any album since Tusk/Mirage - Bella Donna era. I am constantly amazed at the trashing SYW gets in this forum. Not only are they well written songs but arranged perfectly musically and production wise.

Could not agree with you on Everyday though. OMG that song is nails down a chalkboard for me. Its probably my least favorite song of hers. Even if someone else sang the song, it still is a bad song.

Otherwise, we are almost twins separated at birth with your list. I would just add Bombay Sapphires and Trouble in Shangri-la in the place of the other songs not from SYW.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default re Everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I agree with almost everything you said. I agree that SYW is probably Stevie's best contributions to any album since Tusk/Mirage - Bella Donna era. I am constantly amazed at the trashing SYW gets in this forum. Not only are they well written songs but arranged perfectly musically and production wise.

Could not agree with you on Everyday though. OMG that song is nails down a chalkboard for me. Its probably my least favorite song of hers. Even if someone else sang the song, it still is a bad song.

Otherwise, we are almost twins separated at birth with your list. I would just add Bombay Sapphires and Trouble in Shangri-la in the place of the other songs not from SYW.
They chose a TOTAL milquetoast adult contemporary track written by someone else to reintroduce solo Stevie to the public. Great video but the song had NONE of the Stevie magic nor persona... bleeech, and yes to SYW.. i think it's a great song.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree on Thrown Down (Wall of Sound)- a terrific song that would have made a huge difference for TISL- written by Stevie, powerhouse performance and production- instead, Everyday, landed like a thud. Not written by Stevie, bad production and uninspired vocals.

So, top 10 modern songs, I'm going to stay away from older songs brought back to life.

1. Call on Me for Magic- One of the most beautiful, inspired vocals in a very long time.
2. Fall from Grace- A driving beat, great vocals and good songwriting make this one a winner.
3. Love Changes- Nice vocals and a keeper for TISL
4. Italian Summer- On the Mitzo track here that her slower songs are wonderful and showcase her powerful vocals when she wants to sing.
5. In Your Dreams- I like this song and it has a bit of a I Don't Want to Know vibe for me- would've made a great Mac song IMO.
6. Everybody Finds Out- Why oh Why wasn't this heavily promoted, it's great!
7. Illume- despite some lyrical missteps, has a nice vibe and production value.
8. For What it's Worth- Drones on a bit, but a nice melody and a feel good song.
9. Trouble in Shangri La- Great writing and killer chorus if slightly weak vocally in spots.
10. Destiny Rules- her best post dance song and the best song on Say You Will to my ears- again- some weak spots but still a great song.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I agree on Thrown Down (Wall of Sound)- a terrific song that would have made a huge difference for TISL- written by Stevie, powerhouse performance and production- instead, Everyday, landed like a thud. Not written by Stevie, bad production and uninspired vocals.

So, top 10 modern songs, I'm going to stay away from older songs brought back to life.

1. Call on Me for Magic- One of the most beautiful, inspired vocals in a very long time.
2. Fall from Grace- A driving beat, great vocals and good songwriting make this one a winner.
3. Love Changes- Nice vocals and a keeper for TISL
4. Italian Summer- On the Mitzo track here that her slower songs are wonderful and showcase her powerful vocals when she wants to sing.
5. In Your Dreams- I like this song and it has a bit of a I Don't Want to Know vibe for me- would've made a great Mac song IMO.
6. Everybody Finds Out- Why oh Why wasn't this heavily promoted, it's great!
7. Illume- despite some lyrical missteps, has a nice vibe and production value.
8. For What it's Worth- Drones on a bit, but a nice melody and a feel good song.
9. Trouble in Shangri La- Great writing and killer chorus if slightly weak vocally in spots.
10. Destiny Rules- her best post dance song and the best song on Say You Will to my ears- again- some weak spots but still a great song.
and ironically has Lindsey's fingerprints all over it. Watch the DR doc where he's working on it in the studio when Mick comes in (on that metal guitar- is it a dobro?) and then later you see Stevie come in and work on singing it to the new, upbeat arrangement he's come up with. I'm guessing her original was her usual plonking piano two-finger thing. The arrangement of the backing vocals is clearly his design, mirroring what he's done for so many of her songs to give them more momentum (Sara is such a perfect example, and Gypsy).
Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Ghosts Are Gone
2. Fall From Grace
3. Destiny Rules
4. It's Only Love
5. I Don't Care
6. Mable Normand
7. Not Make Believe
8. Everybody Finds Out
9. In Your Dreams
10. Touched By An Angel