The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm afraid this song makes me sad... it always reminds me of how much more I enjoyed pre-LB-depature FM! That said, I've always enjoyed "Heart Of Stone" (although I'm not sure the quality of the recording is that great... or is that just me?), and I quite like "Love Shines" and "Paper Doll". Also, I champion Rick Vito now that he's part of the MFBB - before that I was a little hesitant about him, and I still feel that way about Billy Burnette...
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
I'm afraid this song makes me sad... it always reminds me of how much more I enjoyed pre-LB-depature FM!
But this song was recorded with Rick and Billy after Lindsey had left the group. Im not quite sure you knew that or not. I don't know if I fully understand what you are trying to convey here?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To the OP... I also love this song. It doesn't make me feel sad, but I definitely feel the melancholic vibe in the music. For some reason, it makes me think of sitting, staring out of the window on a long car ride and thinking about life.... go figure! I'm also never one to pay much attention to lyrics.. (considering I listen to a lot of music in other languages as well as instrumental... it's no wonder!) so my emotional attachment to songs almost always has to do with the emotive quality of the music itself. But it is always one of those songs I enjoy singing along with.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
But this song was recorded with Rick and Billy after Lindsey had left the group. Im not quite sure you knew that or not. I don't know if I fully understand what you are trying to convey here?
She was backhanding the song saying how bad it was, and how much she wished Lindsey never left the band. Which I have to give a resounding:

BOO!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd8382 View Post
For some reason, it makes me think of sitting, staring out of the window on a long car ride and thinking about life....
And I think that's the exact kind of emotive quality the song has for me, too. It's one I always reflect back on my triumphs and mistakes, when I hear it. Perhaps because it's one of the earliest Fleetwood Mac songs I've heard. Perhaps because I relate it to a certain time in my life. Maybe it's the music... I don't know. All I do know, is this one holds a special place for me.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the song. It's classic Christine McVie. I don't equate it with the loss of Lindsey; it stands alone as a solid song. I always pick up hints of the Christmas holidays when I hear it. It's a cozy winter song.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
It took me a while before I could understand your misinterpretation - now it seems obvious!
My point is that I don't like this song very much. After many thrashings of TVBOFM, I could remember all the songs pretty well except "As Long As You Follow" and "No Questions Asked". I also found all four tracks after "Family Man" not so much to my liking whenever I listened to the album. When I found out that LB wasn't a part of these tracks, I found myself understanding why I didn't like them as much - the creative force behind the Rumours-era FM had left, and the new line hadn't been able to match the old standard. So whenever I hear this or "NQA"/"STL", I'm always reminded of how much I preferred FM's music before Lindsey left.
Does this clarify things a bit?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
She was backhanding the song saying how bad it was, and how much she wished Lindsey never left the band. Which I have to give a resounding:

BOO!!!
Not that I really care about these things (I mean, it's not as if it's an insult! ), but I'm male.
Yeah, actually, that's a much more succinct clarification than the one I gave! Damn my lengthy articulations!
Boo me if you will, but I think the couple of new songs written for 25 Years - The Chain, and "Paper Doll" (written in 1988) were the only songs from that line-up that I could say I enjoyed nearly as much as material from the Pre-Rumours and Rumours eras.
Just off topic again, is there any distortion from one of the guitars during the song? It sounds to me like there are occasional random squeaks from a guitar during the song... perhaps Rick Vito's slide or something?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
I'm always reminded of how much I preferred FM's music before Lindsey left.
Does this clarify things a bit?
Yes. It made sense to me after Louie explained it to me.