Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Free Fallin' on setlist - Campbell likes private jets

according to Campbell. he also says he joined FM because he wanted to be on the big private jet and play big arena gigs like Forum again.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleet...c-free-fallin/

HOW STEVIE NICKS PERSUADED MIKE CAMPBELL TO PLAY A HEARTBREAKERS CLASSIC IN FLEETWOOD MAC
MARTIN KIELTYSeptember 30, 2018
Kevin Winter, Getty Images

Tom Petty’s right-hand man Mike Campbell revealed he’d been persuaded to play the classic Heartbreakers track “Free Fallin’” as a new member of Fleetwood Mac, and name-checked two other songs the post-Lindsey Buckingham lineup were planning to deliver on their upcoming tour - which kicks off Wednesday, Oct. 3.

Campbell and Crowded House frontman Neil Finn were added to Fleetwood Mac after their split with Buckingham, with Finn expected to take over most of the departed member’s vocal duties. They began developing a version of Crowded House’s “Don’t Dream It’s Over” and Stevie Nicks suggested “Free Fallin.’”

“Stevie wanted to do that one,” Campbell told Rolling Stone in a new interview. “I love that song, but I’ve just played it so much. I said to her, ‘Do we have to?’ She said, ‘The crowd will love it. It’ll be a moment.’ So I’m getting into it again.” He added that, among the 60 or so songs under rehearsal, early Mac song “Oh Well” was included, with his own lead vocal as Finn found it “too bluesy.”

Campbell also recalled how he was invited to join the band, saying Mick Fleetwood called him unexpectedly before the announcement of Buckingham’s departure had been made. “I’d met Mick once or twice, but never really got to know him,” he said. “But he goes to me, ‘I’ve been listening to your music a lot. Would you be interested in joining the band?’ I thought I’d never play big gigs again. I thought I’d never be on the G4 [private jet] again, and I’d never again play the Forum. Then all of a sudden, I’m like, ‘What the ****? How did this happen?’”

He admitted that, just short of a year after Petty’s death, he was still coming to terms with losing his friend, and that being back on the road would offer something of a relief. “It still seems unreal to me,” he said. “I’m past the point where I’m living with grief every minute, but sometimes I’ll be driving and one of our songs comes on and it’ll hit me.”

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Before April, who would’ve thought the next FM tour setlist would include Don’t Dream It’s Over and Free Fallin’. Surreal. And lame. Especially Stevie aggressively pushing FF over Campbell’s objections. What a ****show. (Hater here).
Old 09-30-2018, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
according to Campbell. he also says he joined FM because he wanted to be on the big private jet and play big arena gigs like Forum again.

HOW STEVIE NICKS PERSUADED MIKE CAMPBELL TO PLAY A HEARTBREAKERS CLASSIC IN FLEETWOOD MAC

Tom Petty’s right-hand man Mike Campbell revealed he’d been persuaded to play the classic Heartbreakers track “Free Fallin’” as a new member of Fleetwood Mac, and name-checked two other songs the post-Lindsey Buckingham lineup were planning to deliver on their upcoming tour - which kicks off Wednesday, Oct. 3.

Campbell and Crowded House frontman Neil Finn were added to Fleetwood Mac after their split with Buckingham, with Finn expected to take over most of the departed member’s vocal duties. They began developing a version of Crowded House’s “Don’t Dream It’s Over” and Stevie Nicks suggested “Free Fallin.’”

“Stevie wanted to do that one,” Campbell told Rolling Stone in a new interview. “I love that song, but I’ve just played it so much. I said to her, ‘Do we have to?’ She said, ‘The crowd will love it. It’ll be a moment.’ So I’m getting into it again.” He added that, among the 60 or so songs under rehearsal, early Mac song “Oh Well” was included, with his own lead vocal as Finn found it “too bluesy.”

Campbell also recalled how he was invited to join the band, saying Mick Fleetwood called him unexpectedly before the announcement of Buckingham’s departure had been made. “I’d met Mick once or twice, but never really got to know him,” he said. “But he goes to me, ‘I’ve been listening to your music a lot. Would you be interested in joining the band?’ I thought I’d never play big gigs again. I thought I’d never be on the G4 [private jet] again, and I’d never again play the Forum. Then all of a sudden, I’m like, ‘What the ****? How did this happen?’”

He admitted that, just short of a year after Petty’s death, he was still coming to terms with losing his friend, and that being back on the road would offer something of a relief. “It still seems unreal to me,” he said. “I’m past the point where I’m living with grief every minute, but sometimes I’ll be driving and one of our songs comes on and it’ll hit me.”
I think most of us are a bit tired of "Free Fallin". There are SO many great Petty songs from which to choose that we aren't tired of and would sound great. How about "Walls", "All You Can Carry", "Crawling Back To You", "Room At The Top", "Rebels", "You And Me", "Wildflowers", or "Angel Dream"? "Insider" would be really great especially as Stevie sang on the studio version of that song and it's one of the main great Petty songs that most folks don't know. As far as "Don't Dream It's Over", that's also a classic but how about trying something just as incredible but a bit less known such as "Private Universe" or "Fingers of Love" or "Fall At Your Feet"?

Last edited by Sugar Mouse; 09-30-2018 at 01:49 PM..
Old 09-30-2018, 01:39 PM

$he'$ a very clever woman. It's her band now. $he used her $$$tar power to purge and control the band.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
$he'$ a very clever woman. It's her band now. $he used her $$$tar power to purge and control the band.
Well, they need a lot of “moments” to make this palatable. The song would be a moment at a TPH show. At FM, it’s a cover
Old 09-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He didn’t say any of that had a bearing on his joining the band, just that he had thought those days were behind him, until they weren’t.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-30-2018, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
How about "Walls"
You’re kidding, right?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Senior Ledgie

Free Fallin’ would make a great addition to a Stevie solo setlist as a tribute to her good friend. DDIO would, I imagine, be a good addition to a Crowded House or Neil Finn setlist. Neither are good additions to a Fleetwood Mac setlist.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

A real "moment" isn't planned. It sounds like Stevie is hoping to have a whole "We miss Tom Petty" segment in the middle of the show, which I fear will be prefaced by an extended speech about how upset she was by his death and how it affected her. No surprise of course but hearing Stevie describe it that way, like they're doing it to make the audience cry, makes it sound so manipulative and inauthentic.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
A real "moment" isn't planned. It sounds like Stevie is hoping to have a whole "We miss Tom Petty" segment in the middle of the show, which I fear will be prefaced by an extended speech about how upset she was by his death and how it affected her. No surprise of course but hearing Stevie describe it that way, like they're doing it to make the audience cry, makes it sound so manipulative and inauthentic.
Kind of like her speech at Musicares, which was even cringeworthy for her!
Old 09-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
I think most of us are a bit tired of "Free Fallin". There are SO many great Petty songs from which to choose that we aren't tired of and would sound great. "Insider" would be really great especially as Stevie sang on the studio version of that song and it's one of the main great Petty songs that most folks don't know.
You're probably unaware Stevie has a solo version of Free Fallin.' I wonder if she'll be singing it onstage?
Old 09-30-2018, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
You're probably unaware Stevie has a solo version of Free Fallin.' I wonder if she'll be singing it onstage?
I was thinking this also. She's already sung/recorded this one herself, and frankly, it's probably one of only a few she can sing with the limitations of her range these days.

Do we know anything about Stop Draggin being in the set? That was on a lot of people's lists of possibilities (including mine). Maybe she's sick of singing that one on her own tours? Sorry Mike, doesn't matter if you're tired of a song, as long as Stevie isn't.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I was thinking this also. She's already sung/recorded this one herself, and frankly, it's probably one of only a few she can sing with the limitations of her range these days.

Do we know anything about Stop Draggin being in the set? That was on a lot of people's lists of possibilities (including mine). Maybe she's sick of singing that one on her own tours? Sorry Mike, doesn't matter if you're tired of a song, as long as Stevie isn't.
Stevie mentioned them doing SDMHA.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Stevie mentioned them doing SDMHA.
YUP this is what she wanted. It's her band now. She can do her solo stuff and talk about Tom Petty's death ad nauseum. SHE SUCKS!
Old 10-01-2018, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Surprised it turned out to be this one. I was expecting Refugee.