The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The fact that people get so worked up over ticket prices and fan clubs seems to me a little bit of wasted energy and emotion. Fan Clubs are generally the same. Cost $50-100 to join. Fan Clubs have been a source for so many groups to make money, but also a source for considerable angst within their fanbase. Fact is people's expectaions as to what these clubs can and will provide are too high and a little research into fan clubs of other performers would bare this out.

Ticket prices. They charge, we pay. If they could not get the price, they would not charge. Too expensive, don't buy them.

The show with guarantees costs 700k to put on. You are not going to get that amount charging $40 per ticket. If you want to see Fleetwood Mac it is going to be in large venues for high prices.

For those of you who bemoan this is not about the music anymore. Get over it! Fleetwood Mac is a group of wonderfully talented musicians who have over time developed a catalog of material and a popularity that not only allows them to be playing in the 21st century, but to be one of the most sought after concert tickets in the market.

For all of you with such lofty ideals, I wonder what you would do if you were Fleetwood Mac......I know your answer now, but the fact is you can not answer it without being there.

Last edited by John Run; 02-12-2004 at 11:51 AM..
Old 02-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sparky
The latter is more likely. Almost anyone would count that as good pay - consider that I live in Los Angeles in the hills. It ain't cheap.

Of course the former would be preferred. But I can only think of one character that could have swung that...I was very young, it was a youthful indiscretion...I am sounding like a politician now !
Old 02-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by John Run
The fact that people get so worked up over ticket prices and fan clubs seems to me a little bit of wasted energy and emotion. Fan Clubs are generally the same. Cost $50-100 to join. Fan Clubs have been a source for so many groups to make money, but also a source for considerable angst within their fanbase. Fact is people's expectaions as to what these clubs can and will provide are too high and a little research into fan clubs of other performers would bare this out.

Ticket prices. They charge, we pay. If they could not get the price, they would not charge. Too expensive, don't buy them.

The show with guarantees costs 700k to put on. You are not going to get that amount charging $40 per ticket. If you want to see Fleetwood Mac it is going to be in large venues for high prices.

For those of you who bemoan this is not about the music anymore. Get over it! Fleetwood Mac is a group of wonderfully talented musicians who have over time developed a catalog of material and a popularity that not only allows them to be playing in the 21st century, but to be one of the most sought after concert tickets in the market.

For all of you with such lofty ideals, I wonder what you would do if you were Fleetwood Mac......I know your answer now, but the fact is you can not answer it without being there.
I agree. Did you actually expect them to lower the ticket prices, when almost all of their shows last year sold out?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 02-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fan Clubs are generally the same. Cost $50-100 to join.
Not all of them. Artists like Tom Petty, Sheryl Crow (*ahem*, Stevie's friends) and the Foo Fighters don't charge anything for their fan clubs - and miraculously, they are still able to provide their die-hard fans GUARANTEED seats in the first 10 rows.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Livia
Not all of them. Artists like Tom Petty, Sheryl Crow (*ahem*, Stevie's friends) and the Foo Fighters don't charge anything for their fan clubs - and miraculously, they are still able to provide their die-hard fans GUARANTEED seats in the first 10 rows.

I used the Tom Petty club last year to get second row seats.

Old 02-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The older fans should know better than to expect anything decent -- in the way of goods/services OR behavior -- out of a fan club, particularly a Fleetwood Mac fan club (Models 1 through 5). I'm through feeling sorry for the older fans who repeatedly subject themselves to the official fan club hard-sell. They should know better by now.

But it's the brand-new fans with whom I empathize: the ones who fell in love with Fleetwood Mac just the other day & are justifiably so excited to see an official fan club operating because they fervently believe that the Fleetwood Mac organization adores its fans & wants to give them stuff & do cool things for them. And then you get those horrible looks of disappointment as the truth hits those poor kids square in the face.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac is a group of wonderfully talented musicians who have over time developed a catalog of material and a popularity that not only allows them to be playing in the 21st century, but to be one of the most sought after concert tickets in the market.
Now if they'd only actually play a less constricted amount of that "catalog of material".
Old 02-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can not argue with you there. So much they could play. Especially on this leg where they are hitting areas for the 2nd and even 3rd time in 12 months. I know they won't go back as far you would like, Steve, but even within the 1975-Present time period a lot gems that could be dusted off. Some of them not all that obscure.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Too bad they're not playing on April 1st (or are they? I haven't kept up with their upcoming itinerary)

It would be hilarious if they'd pull out a set list from 1975 and come out & play that set in its entirety.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Now if they'd only actually play a less constricted amount of that "catalog of material".
I think but have no proof that now that they have toured to promote this record (which sales wise was not that much of an event), they will drop some of the newer stuff and harken back to the days of Frozen Love, Tusk, etc. But, I am something of a dreamer!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
The older fans should know better than to expect anything decent -- in the way of goods/services OR behavior -- out of a fan club, particularly a Fleetwood Mac fan club (Models 1 through 5). I'm through feeling sorry for the older fans who repeatedly subject themselves to the official fan club hard-sell. They should know better by now.
Exactly.

I know from experience that FM doesn't have a good track record in anything but the music itself, which is why I never joined that joke of a club. The red flag from the start-up was when it didn't even offer anything you could hold in your goddamned hand for your $80.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
they will drop some of the newer stuff and harken back to the days of Frozen Love, Tusk, etc.
CRACK IS WHACK, MAN!

Old 02-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just in from the fan club:

We want to reassure you regarding the ticket packages which are being offered to fans and to give a detailed explanation of these packages since we understand some of you have concerns.

The Platinum package is a very limited offering, only 50 per show, of a complete concert experience. The experience includes a exclusive shirt only for the Platinum experience, a autographed tour program and a backstage tour prior to the show that includes a keepsake photo of the backstage tour. We have held 950 prime seats (some starting with row one) per show to ensure that everyone in the fan club can purchase good tickets under the bronze presale. Although we don't set the price of a ticket, the $10 service charge is less than Ticketmaster.

The Platinum package isn't meant for everyone. It is a way for the band to offer an entire evening experience to a few of the fans who desire it.

Because this is not going through TicketMaster, as the last tour presale did, you can be assured that when we list rows, we will deliver those tickets. We have taken complete control to assure we get what we want for the fans.

Exact seat and row locations are not given in advance for a number of reason, the primary being... it would be very easy for brokers to then join the fan club to buy up the tickets and sell or auction them. Taking away the chance for the fans to get the seats. Without knowing the location they will not be able to do this.

We are confident that once the tour begins and you receive your tickets you will be very happy!

Fleetwood Mac Fan Club

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Yeah...

Quote:
The experience includes a exclusive shirt only for the Platinum experience
Which says "I got to go backstage at the Fleetwood Mac concert and all I got was this lousy tee shirt."

Old 02-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Exact seat and row locations are not given in advance for a number of reason, the primary being... it would be very easy for brokers to then join the fan club to buy up the tickets and sell or auction them. Taking away the chance for the fans to get the seats. Without knowing the location they will not be able to do this.

But who in their right mind would buy tickets without knowing where they're sitting?

It makes no sense at all.