The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: what next for LB?
More US solo tour dates before the end of the year 8 19.51%
Some UK/EU solo dates (either this year or interspersed with FM tour next year) 4 9.76%
New solo album or EP 5 12.20%
FM EP before starting the tour next year 6 14.63%
BN reissue and a short tour somewhere before or after FM tour 2 4.88%
All of the above 11 26.83%
None of the above 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i do remember that now when you brought it up!

yeah, i think that's exactly the look he gave actually: "huh? are you all nuts? never even crossed my mind..."
He did not!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
I sure hope so It was really something to hear.

I know they feel the need to play to the casual/classic rock fans, but this tour they really should play a little more to the true FM fans. Storms was like that in 2009, but we do need more deep cuts. And this solo tour, Lindsey, of course, pulled out some great stuff we never expected to hear again (Stephanie, BTLH, Come), all of which got extremely positive reactions from the fans!
it was not just from the fans... remember tweets from Ottawa (Nicksfan also said that), where there were 10 000 people listening to his show, and a lot of them were saying they didn't really know most of the songs but they all loved the show and thought it was spectacular.

BTLH and Come especially never failed to bring the house down! (two GOS1/SYW songs, incidentally!)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He did not!
oh yes he did!!

that's why i kept blindly insisting on it so much (even though i originally intended to offer him some alternatives, like Rodeo )... b/c from his reaction that first evening i got the feeling if we don't get it the next day, we will never hear it live.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
oh yes he did!!

that's why i kept blindly insisting on it so much (even though i originally intended to offer him some alternatives, like Rodeo )... b/c from his reaction that first evening i got the feeling if we don't get it the next day, we will never hear it live.
LOL, Elle.There was a faint smile there when he turned to me. He's hard to read though You just wait. He'll play it...and he'll be thinking of us when he does
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LOL, Elle.There was a faint smile there when he turned to me. He's hard to read though You just wait. He'll play it...and he'll be thinking of us when he does
see, that would be giving us too much importance... he'll not give us the satisfaction

Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know they feel the need to play to the casual/classic rock fans, but this tour they really should play a little more to the true FM fans. Storms was like that in 2009, but we do need more deep cuts. And this solo tour, Lindsey, of course, pulled out some great stuff we never expected to hear again (Stephanie, BTLH, Come), all of which got extremely positive reactions from the fans!
And I wonder how they would fare if they actually marketed the tour like that: a deep cuts sort of thing. They would draw a lot of old FM fans back in who say, "I've seen this show before. I love them, but I'm not paying money for a nostalgia tour." If you hear or see a commercial that says its going to be a night of overlooked Fleetwood Mac, then you might get a ticket, even if you've skipped the last 2 tours. More focused fans would buy tickets.

On the other hand, would they really repel a lot of casual fans. Would those people see/hear the ads and say they won't go. Some of them would, but I bet only a small percentage. I don't think they would stay away in droves and when they got there, they would have been warned what to expect, so they wouldn't be bored and disappointed to hear less familiar songs.

I realize that people who go to see FM aren't people who go to see Springsteen. They don't have the same kind of "open to anything he wants to do" tolerance level, but I also think a lot of it is in the presentation. If they get to the concert and hear Empire State unexpectedly they might sit there in stunned silence. But if they knew they were going to get some curve balls ahead of time, they might sit there in rapt anticipation.

A "Rarities" marketing campaign might work, especially if you also let people know they'd still get Dreams, GYOW and Don't Stop thrown in for good measure.

Michele
Old 09-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Ledgie

The few lines he did of WATL sounded great (one of my favorites from Tusk)...I was hoping to hear it in Iowa, but I was happy to get Rodeo and esp. pleased to hear RAB.) I would also like to hear Blue Letter at some point -- in Salina, he actually did a couple lines for us during the encore after a fan was screaming for it. Always has to leave us wanting more
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Blue Letter! I hope it's on FM tour! And Viv and I were yelling for RAB in Council Bluffs
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I realize that people who go to see FM aren't people who go to see Springsteen. They don't have the same kind of "open to anything he wants to do" tolerance level, but I also think a lot of it is in the presentation. If they get to the concert and hear Empire State unexpectedly they might sit there in stunned silence. But if they knew they were going to get some curve balls ahead of time, they might sit there in rapt anticipation.
Springsteen plays 3-4 hour shows - he has a lot of time and space to do hits, deep cuts, covers, collaborations and new songs - and he does a lot of that.

FM plays what - 2.5 hr shows? that should still be enough time to do not only hits but also deep cuts. Lindsey solo played 75 mins this time around, and he still had no problems including both hits and deep cuts, FM, BN and solo (but granted, mostly skipped his most recent album).

Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
A "Rarities" marketing campaign might work, especially if you also let people know they'd still get Dreams, GYOW and Don't Stop thrown in for good measure.
Michele, you've just hit on my dream FM concert. I've never seen them live so I still want to see GYOW and the Chain, but as a huge Lindsey fan, I'd love to see some of the Tusk tracks you don't see live. Even Empire State would be welcome, although I'd take Can't Go Back or Book of Love first if it was from Mirage.

*edit* But please, no Landslide!!

Last edited by redtulip; 09-14-2012 at 11:03 PM..
Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I wonder how they would fare if they actually marketed the tour like that: a deep cuts sort of thing. They would draw a lot of old FM fans back in who say, "I've seen this show before. I love them, but I'm not paying money for a nostalgia tour." If you hear or see a commercial that says its going to be a night of overlooked Fleetwood Mac, then you might get a ticket, even if you've skipped the last 2 tours. More focused fans would buy tickets.

On the other hand, would they really repel a lot of casual fans. Would those people see/hear the ads and say they won't go. Some of them would, but I bet only a small percentage. I don't think they would stay away in droves and when they got there, they would have been warned what to expect, so they wouldn't be bored and disappointed to hear less familiar songs.

Michele
YES!, to all of that! Very few would choose not to go, and the returning fans would more than make up for it!

I really regret that I didn't take more time to squeeze any information out of him when I had the chance, at these meet and greets, and especially when we had his attention as a group! He had nowhere to hide But geez, as soon as I get close enough to him to say what I want to say, my mind takes off into too many directions at once, and the things I wanted most to ask him, just never materialize
Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If they get to the concert and hear Empire State
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta07 View Post
I would also like to hear Blue Letter at some point -- in Salina, he actually did a couple lines for us during the encore after a fan was screaming for it. Always has to leave us wanting more
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Even Empire State would be welcome, although I'd take Can't Go Back or Book of Love first if it was from Mirage.
ok people, let's not get carried away! Empire State, seriously? don't we want deep cuts that we would actually like to hear??

re Blue Letter, i don't know - FM did it on several tours, and it's not even the song they wrote... so maybe not such a deep cut?

although, i thought nobody but me wanted to hear WATL live... but judging by the audience reaction when he was singing it, and all the reactions after that, i guess i was very wrong - seems like there are tons of people who love that song!!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
I was up in the front row at Council Bluffs on the right side (facing the stage), got to strum during GYOW. Front and center at Des Moines in the seats that were different than all the others (so embarrassing) and the m&g. Hoping to make some shows on the next leg if there is one! If not, I guess it will have to be FM
I was in the second row center in Des Moines.
Was this your first M&G?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta07 View Post
I was in the second row center in Des Moines.
Was this your first M&G?
You must have been right behind me then! This was my first m&g!
Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Ledgie

Quote:

re Blue Letter, i don't know - FM did it on several tours, and it's not even the song they wrote... so maybe not such a deep cut?
Ha, yeah I know its not in the 'deep cut' category and I prob. would not have even thought of it if not for the couple lines he did at my first solo Lindsey show. It just sounded so fun and energetic I wanted him to finish