User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Yeah but they won't. Apart from this whole "it's a tribute to Christine's contribution to the band" argument, an FM concert without any C McVie songs would be missing out on some of the biggest and most recognisable hits, and they know it. People very often (and I don't mean the die-hards here) want to hear 'the hits', and a lot of the time that means Christine's material.
Yeah but the last time they toured, they essentially avoided her tunes. They just played DON'T STOP, I think, & maybe WORLD TURNING. But all those recognizable pop hits weren't in the set: SAY YOU LOVE ME, OVER MY HEAD, YOU MAKE LOVING FUN, HOLD ME, LITTLE LIES, EVERYWHERE.

I think if they're talking now about "paying tribute" & all that baloney, it won't amount to anything. These guys often talk up what they plan to do, & then just do what they did the last time out. There have been a few surprises over the years, but those occasions haven't outnumbered just the natural statistical occurrence of oddness one finds in life in general.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think Stevie could sing most of Chris's songs. Stevie's whole persona and approach to music is too airy for Christine's earthy songs. But I think Lindsey could have a go at some of them. I think if he sang "You Make Lovin' Fun" for example, he could really muscle it up and it might be a whole new song. Look at what Willie Nelson did for "Songbird," for instance -- not a better version (of course) but a very different interpretation, and very enjoyable.

Re-interpreting Chris's songs is what I think Lindsey would have to do. They couldn't play any of Chris's songs "straight" -- they'd have to re-interpret, sort of like 'The Dance' version of "Say You Love Me." I think it *might* work. They can't present any of her songs the way they are on the record, because obviously no one can sing like Christine, but Lindsey could sing them well, and differently.

As a creative arranger, Lindsey might enjoy re-interpreting a handful of Chris's Rumours-era hits. Turn them into country, or turn a rocker into a ballad, or whatever. It would be interesting. But would that satisfy the casual listening public's desire to "hear the hits"? Maybe what that really means is they want to hear the hits the way they sounded on the radio. That ain't gonna happen.

I am extremely unlikely to go see the band without Christine in any case, but if I knew they were going to play some of Chris's songs I'd be more likely to go see them, out of curiosity to see what they were doing with them.

Oh, and in my opinion Bob Welch did a great job with Peter Green's material when he was with the band, and on some of his recent recordings.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I don't think Stevie could sing most of Chris's songs. Stevie's whole persona and approach to music is too airy for Christine's earthy songs. But I think Lindsey could have a go at some of them. I think if he sang "You Make Lovin' Fun" for example, he could really muscle it up and it might be a whole new song...
Let's not forget, however, that Stevie can really rock when she wants to. I think of "Nothing Ever Changes," "Imperial Motel," "Sometimes it's a Bitch," "Blue Denim," "Illume" and a whole bunch of other songs where her voice is not airy at all, but muscular--the tough rock chick. She could rip the shreds out of tunes... I just think Christine's songs are so subtle and restrained and require her inimitable vocals to work as well as they do.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Let's not forget, however, that Stevie can really rock when she wants to. I think of " "Imperial Motel,"
"I'm not going to the hotel" said Stevie to one of her assistants in Dec,1979 during her innerview with Jim Ladd.
**** I can't even afford a hotel so if you want me I'll be staying at the Imperial Motel.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hotel! That's right, not Motel!

Gosh, I wanted that song to be seedier than it was.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just think Christine's songs are so subtle and restrained and require her inimitable vocals to work as well as they do.
I totally agree, if the band plays them "straight," meaning the way they were on the record. This is why I think that if the band has any hope of doing justice to Christine's songs, they would need to re-arrange them to make them "new" songs. I again cite Willie Nelson's "Songbird" as a successful re-interpretation of a Christine song. I think it's possible that Lindsey has a wide enough range of vocal skills to successfully interpret some of Chris's songs.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
"After all, we wrote most of [the songs in the set] anyway,.
Now that does make more sense.. otherwise it's absurd!

Quote:
Eh... They should leave Chris's songs alone, I think. Those songs worked precisely because her voice was so unique. .
I agree, not only voice but each FM singer has its own style. Let's imagine it was Stevie the one who left the band, can you imagine Christine singing Rhiannon, Sara or Silver Springs? No way!! Ok maybe Christine could sing a cool version of Beatufiul Child or Storms, but let's face it: they usually include "landmark" songs in the setlist. That's what the general public (not fans) expect.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
maybe Christine could sing a cool version of Beatufiul Child or Storms, but let's face it: they usually include "landmark" songs in the setlist. That's what the general public (not fans) expect.
And why should they be a slave to the wishes of the general public (or the casual fan who knows the hits but nothing else)? Don't they already have enough money?

Wouldn't it be more satisfying for them, from an artistic perspective, to pull out some obscurities and play them instead of sticking with the "greatest hits" set list?

If their thinking is that it's best to play it safe and play the hits, then they're inviting the "tired oldies band" label. Which is so unfair considering how dynamic and energetic the remaining members of the band still are as performers.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that Lindsey could pull off:
Hold Me [LOVE the demo of him singing it!]
Mystified [It is half his song anyways...]
and
Think About Me [I hear him in the chorus enough]

Thats about it though. Chris' FM album songs are too 'Chris' to pull off, same with Rumours. I would probably smack somebody if I had to hear Stevie or Lindsey sing YMLF. That is Christine Territory, you don't touch it.

Tusk songs of Chris' though, and Mirage, maybe LB could pull off. I actually don't think I'd mind hearing Stevie sing "Over and Over". But besides TAM...The rest of Tusk is just...hard to translate into concert. I LOVE Honey Hi, but I don't think it could work live unless it was just LB up there with his acoustic. I wouldn't mind though if he did it to replace NGBA.
Mirage, Love in Store Stevie and Lindsey could sing no problem, Only Over You...hmm...that would need some work, Hold Me I've covered, and Wish You Were Here can just not be talked about. Its ok, but I can't see it done live. with or without Chris

Tango...
Everywhere sucked live IMO.
Little Lies...interesting.
DONT TOUCH 'IIM'...or there will be Hell to pay.
Mystified, Linds could kick ass at.

But seriously, why bother touching her songs.
Stevie can barely remember her own lyrics, and then screwing up Don't Stop so bad? No Thanks
Lindsey could do some interesting stuff with a few, but he could also be doing interesting stuff with his own songs.

Thats just my opinion...
Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
And why should they be a slave to the wishes of the general public (or the casual fan who knows the hits but nothing else)? Don't they already have enough money?

Wouldn't it be more satisfying for them, from an artistic perspective, to pull out some obscurities and play them instead of sticking with the "greatest hits" set list?

If their thinking is that it's best to play it safe and play the hits, then they're inviting the "tired oldies band" label. Which is so unfair considering how dynamic and energetic the remaining members of the band still are as performers.
exactly... Lindsey will bitch about wanting to be artistic... then run out the set list of the same 20 songs... and speeches...
Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Think About Me has potential. They have been doing Don't Stop. Anything else I think they should lay off as I don't think they would flatter the songs. I would cringe at most of it. Songbird is Christine's and no one should do it but her. I laugh at that Stevie quote about writing most of the songs...talk about a bad quote as Christine wrote alot for the band even before Stevie knew what Fleetwood Mac was!

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 10-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmar71 View Post
Think About Me has potential. They have been doing Don't Stop. Anything else I think they should lay off as I don't think they would flatter the songs. I would cringe at most of it. Songbird is Christine's and no one should do it but her. I laugh at that Stevie quote about writing most of the songs...talk about a bad quote as Christine wrote alot for the band even before Stevie knew what Fleetwood Mac was!
I wouldn't limit that to before Stevie knew what Fleetwood Mac was, I think for a while when she was in the band Stevie didn't know what Fleetwood Mac was.

I just can't imagine most of these songs without CM. I agree with every one who says that each member has a distinct voice.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Given the body of songs between Lindsey and Stevie, I have no desire or interest to see them perform any of Christine's songs. Really, there is no point to it.

I think they made a sufficient nod to Christine by including Don't Stop in their set. And it's there they should stop. Want to hear Christine songs -- play the records!

Stevie and Lindsey barely give props to each other's songs, so there is even more distance and less inclination when it comes to performing songs they didn't write or sing from an ex-band member. Don't Stop was the obvious choice because at least Lindsey sings a verse.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-24-2008 at 10:40 PM..
Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't stop
World turning (but without the weird Mick Fleetwood-drumthing )

Everywhere didn't suck live, at least not on The Dance IMHO.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey Jr. View Post
World turning (but without the weird Mick Fleetwood-drumthing )
Uhhh ... the "weird drumthing" is the only reason they would leave "World Turning" in the live set. Without Mick's unique drum solo that song just would not be complete.