The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Pick 2 albums that represent Lindsey at his very best!
'75 Fleetwood Mac 5 6.94%
Rumours 30 41.67%
Tusk 58 80.56%
Mirage 5 6.94%
Tango in the Night 19 26.39%
Say You Will 25 34.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
You know, that is the same reason people have given to Dreams not being one of Stevie's best songs, saying it's a perfect pop song but not representative of Stevie's best work. I think that sentiment is rooted in the fact that it is played so often it now seems stale, not fresh or alive anymore. As I've argued that that studio recording perhaps captures the three voices of the lead singers together better than any other song while also giving a nod to the earlier blues roots of the band, I have to also disagree with regard to Lindsey's songs.
I know it can sometimes be difficult to wrap your head around an opinion that differs so much from your own, so I can appreciate the need to try and justify it. But honestly, I don't hear Dreams on the radio much. Never have. Maybe it's the countries I've lived in or the stations I've listened to. But I have heard many Mac and Mac-adjacent songs on the radio far more than Dreams. When I got Rumours, Dreams was one of the few songs on the album I didn't really know. I still think it's overhyped, and I think much of the praise heaped upon it is applicable to many Mac recordings of that era. I like it, but I don't get why it's considered so darn special.

You've mentioned here and elsewhere that many on this forum don't give Dreams its due credit, but I can't say I've seen that. It seems to be a universally loved song as far as I can tell.

I chose Say You Will and Tusk because I think there is so much more of Lindsey's genius on display in those albums than there is in the relatively narrow sonic confines of Rumours and the White Album. Radio play has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by Dex; 06-03-2013 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk and Tango, easy-peasy.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I know it can sometimes be difficult to wrap your head around an opinion that differs so much from your own, so I can appreciate the need to try and justify it. But honestly, I don't hear Dreams on the radio much. Never have. Maybe it's the countries I've lived in or the stations I've listened to. But I have heard many Mac and Mac-adjacent songs on the radio far more than Dreams. When I got Rumours, Dreams was one of the few songs on the album I didn't really know. I still think it's overhyped, and I think much of the praise heaped upon it is applicable to many Mac recordings of that era. I like it, but I don't get why it's considered so darn special.

You've mentioned here and elsewhere that many on this forum don't give Dreams its due credit, but I can't say I've seen that. It seems to be a universally loved song as far as I can tell.

I chose Say You Will and Tusk because I think there is so much more of Lindsey's genius on display in those albums than there is in the relatively narrow sonic confines of Rumours and the White Album. Radio play has nothing to do with it.
I really appreciated your post. Yeah, just wanted to justify my opinion so I'm not written off as ignorant for not choosing Lindsey's other albums. I mentioned Dreams as an example since I've certainly gotten that impression from reading this board. I think a few people mentioned it being overrated in the Stevie thread for her best two albums. In the US, as you know, it was FM's only number-one hit, so it's certainly recognized though I'm sure more by its chorus than the name of the song. I do understand why some people think it's gotten stale or shouldn't be performed every night, so that's why I defended the studio recording and raised the point that maybe some fans read Lindsey's Rumours songs the same way. So, yeah, I do appreciate Lindsey's creativity and strokes of genius, but I don't always agree with his decisions from small production choices to larger album concept issues. Like I said, I'm a fan of Red Rover and absolutely love Say Goodbye and Bleed to Love Her, though for the latter two I really think he took the life and passion out of the songs by speeding up Say Goodbye and overproducing Bleed to Love Her. You probably don't agree but it's certainly fun to debate back and forth.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Without a doubt Tusk and Tango In The Night, in my opinion.

Oh I forgot that You and I and Family Man is on Tango in the Night.. I take that back. I would vote for Tusk and Rumours if I got to re-vote!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon View Post
Without a doubt Tusk and Tango In The Night, in my opinion.

Oh I forgot that You and I and Family Man is on Tango in the Night.. I take that back. I would vote for Tusk and Rumours if I got to re-vote!
those two are my faves on titn (especially family man)!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Like I said, I'm a fan of Red Rover and absolutely love Say Goodbye and Bleed to Love Her, though for the latter two I really think he took the life and passion out of the songs by speeding up Say Goodbye and overproducing Bleed to Love Her. You probably don't agree but it's certainly fun to debate back and forth.
I am not Dex, but I echo his sentiments and voted for the same two albums. I love both the live version and the studio version of Say Goodbye, for different reasons. I've heard several people here call the studio recording "sped up." Do we know that it was originally written to be slower? Or are we only calling it "sped up" after the fact, when in reality it's that Lindsey later decided to slow it down in concert? Is there an early recording of Say Goodbye that's played at a slower tempo? If there is, I'd love to hear it!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I voted Tango because it was a hard time for the band, and not the best momento for Stevie (but a very good for Chris I think), and I think the álbum was a big success because of Lindsey's work in a great part.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
I am not Dex, but I echo his sentiments and voted for the same two albums. I love both the live version and the studio version of Say Goodbye, for different reasons. I've heard several people here call the studio recording "sped up." Do we know that it was originally written to be slower? Or are we only calling it "sped up" after the fact, when in reality it's that Lindsey later decided to slow it down in concert? Is there an early recording of Say Goodbye that's played at a slower tempo? If there is, I'd love to hear it!
I'm not sure about the history behind Say Goodbye. Maybe someone knows why Lindsey slowed it down for his live version of the song? I called the studio version "sped up" in relation to his live performance, which I heard at a Fleetwood Mac show before I heard the original recording. In comparing the two, my feeling is the SYW recording doesn't capture what Lindsey brings to his live performances, which highlight a guitar part that has room to seep into the audience and really enforce the meaning of the song and its lyrics for me.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^When they're live and standing in front of you it's one thing, because their expressions and delivery are part of the whole experience.

But when I am just listening to the studio version, I want a song, something I can hum, a melody, something on which the sentiment can grab on and stick. Something that stands on its own without a visual accompaniment. I think the faster version of the song fits those requirements better for me. So, I like the studio version more, for that reason.

Michele
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I meant to vote for Tusk and SYW, but somehow only managed to vote for Tusk, weird.

Anyway, of course Tusk because that really is a Lindsey masterpiece in my opinion. He really went outside the box and came into his own on that album and I love all of his songs on there. My favorite Lindsey FM song is The Ledge, plus many more of my top Lindsey FM songs are on there.

SYW is also a Lindsey masterpiece. Such a wide variety of songs on there from him and it also showed a growth in his songwriting abilities I think. Great guitar work, interesting lyrics.

I enjoy a lot of his other FM songs on the other albums as well, it's just that for me, Tusk and SYW are Lindsey at his most creative.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
^When they're live and standing in front of you it's one thing, because their expressions and delivery are part of the whole experience.

But when I am just listening to the studio version, I want a song, something I can hum, a melody, something on which the sentiment can grab on and stick. Something that stands on its own without a visual accompaniment. I think the faster version of the song fits those requirements better for me. So, I like the studio version more, for that reason.

Michele
I agree. For just listening, I much prefer the studio version.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was just reading a Caillat article (posted in the Caillat thread) and he was talking about Tusk:

Quote:
“Lindsey decided he didn’t want to do another record like ‘Rumours.’ He was looking for a new self and he didn’t know who he wanted to be. … He wanted everything to sound grungy.

“That record was basically made under a hostage situation, if you will, loosely speaking. It was very strange, just very decadent,” including the nearly impossible task of recording the USC Trojan marching band at Dodger Stadium for the album’s title track (Mick Fleetwood’s brainchild).

“Actually, it’s a terrific album but at the time I had my doubts,” Caillat said. “I was so embarrassed of the sound. It was just so grungy. It took every bit of effort we could to make it clean and enjoyable.”
Old 06-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yeah, and that quote says it all. He was not amused with lindsey's vision on not only the arrangements, But also the soundengineering. Hč was a terriffic MOR technician, so he had hard times under Lindsey's dominance. But it was the only way for LB to get what he wanted. And in hindsight, it's a masterpiece. When Cailliat talks bad about LB, some was probably outside of normal behaviour, But a lot of criticism is fed by the fact that he did not understand him at the time, and not felt acknowledged. That's when you feel held hostage.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I voted for Rumours and Tusk. But I should have chosen Tusk and SYW. The reason why I chose Rumours, is in the fact that SYW could have been so much better if he used Twist of Fate, Wait for You and some other gems that didn't make it. The original GOS was a masterpiece a la Tusk.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I picked Tusk. But then got stuck between Rumours and Tango. I love him on Rumours. He's got some great stuff on Tango.

So Tusk and a tie between Rumours and Tango.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Closed Thread