The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dale Earnhardt Jr. first place in the Sprint Cup Series!

GO JR. GO!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
] Steve Earle hasn't been TRUE country for 20 years. He(like John Mellendouche) decided that he was the new Blob Dylan....just an amalgam of americana crapola....some good, some.....not so much! Moody, self serving doucheiness! Steve is batsh*t crazy, too.
Just to say that I've been listening to Steve's I Feel Alright album non-stop at work all day today. It's just me in the office and during school holidays it's cool to have music on. I can't stop playing it! Such a consistent group of songs.

Also, Homer: I've just bought Dwight Yoakam's first two albums so we'll see how I get on. Now I know he likely has better stuff later in his catalogue and I was just going to go with the Very Best Of... but those first rtwo albums seem to get universally terrific reviews, even now, so I thought I'd just start there. I'm more of a rootsy kinda guy with male country artists though so I'm not sure... I'll see though!

Last edited by Dodfather; 07-30-2012 at 09:10 AM..
Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Just to say that I've been listening to Steve's I Feel Alright album non-stop at work all day today. It's just me in the office and during school holidays it's cool to have music on. I can't stop playing it! Such a consistent group of songs.

Also, Homer: I've just bought Dwight Yoakam's first two albums so we'll see how I get on. Now I know he likely has better stuff later in his catalogue and I was just going to go with the Very Best Of... but those first rtwo albums seem to get universally terrific reviews, even now, so I thought I'd just start there. I'm more of a rootsy kinda guy with male country artists though so I'm not sure... I'll see though!
I Feel Alright was the last album of his that I purchased. It is a very solid album.

Must.love.Dwight.

He never followed trends. He set them. He does his own thing, without worrying too much about being commercial. Truly a living legend, and always will be.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I Feel Alright was the last album of his that I purchased. It is a very solid album.

Must.love.Dwight.

He never followed trends. He set them. He does his own thing, without worrying too much about being commercial. Truly a living legend, and always will be.
I'd be interested to hear your recommendations for Dwight albums since you now know what I'm starting with. Suggestions please?

As for Steve, I also like Transcendental Blues and Mountain, the latter mainly because I love bluegrass when done well and so I can't argue with an album that has artists like Gillian Welch and Jerry Douglas.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Been battling...

the heat here in Oklahoma (Only 110F today) along with this ongoing cellulitis infection (Saw a doctor last week for it - was given an injection to ease the swelling/pain but I still feel physically drained) so not alot of new stuff in my life as of late - though I do enjoy chatting with my "friend" Alisa who resides in Moscow, Russia which has COOLER weather, lol!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear your recommendations for Dwight albums since you now know what I'm starting with. Suggestions please?
Dodfather,
If you play guitar, get Dwight's Dwightyoakamacoustic.Net album.
It's pretty much a greatest hits CD. But he rerecorded the songs with just
him and guitar and it's great. I probably play guitar to that CD more than
any other.

I saw him years ago and he put on a great show. He seemed to really
appreciate his fans. And like Homer and others have said, "he's the real
deal".
Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Dodfather,
If you play guitar, get Dwight's Dwightyoakamacoustic.Net album.
It's pretty much a greatest hits CD. But he rerecorded the songs with just
him and guitar and it's great. I probably play guitar to that CD more than
any other.

I saw him years ago and he put on a great show. He seemed to really
appreciate his fans. And like Homer and others have said, "he's the real
deal".
I don't play guitar. I tried to learn a couple of times and it did not go well haha.

I'll probably check that cd out once I get to know his hits better. I usually really like acoustic albums done like that. As for playing guitar to it, you and Homer should have a Dwight guitar battle!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't play guitar. I tried to learn a couple of times and it did not go well haha.

I'll probably check that cd out once I get to know his hits better. I usually really like acoustic albums done like that. As for playing guitar to it, you and Homer should have a Dwight guitar battle!
My recommendations for Dwight are This Time, If There Was A Way, and Buenos Noches From a Lonely Room. I also think Blame the Vain is really good. It was his last studio album before this new one in September.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Advice please:

This guy I met working at a summer camp who I kind of became friends with asked if I could hang out on Wednesday.. I kind of thought it would be a counselor get together, so I said yeah and was planning on asking other people to come and stay. But then he said he wanted to take me out to dinner.... I don't really want to do that, but I already said yes before he mentioned that small detail so now I feel awkward and like I have to go. He lives two hours away so it's a far drive for him to come all the way up here to take me out. There's nothing wrong with him, he's cute and nice, I just don't feel right about it. Do I just tell him straight up not to come?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
My recommendations for Dwight are This Time, If There Was A Way, and Buenos Noches From a Lonely Room. I also think Blame the Vain is really good. It was his last studio album before this new one in September.
Thnaks. I'll give them a listen soon. As I said, I've ordered the first two albums so I'l take it from there with these ones.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sorry but busy at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Advice please:

This guy I met working at a summer camp who I kind of became friends with asked if I could hang out on Wednesday.. I kind of thought it would be a counselor get together, so I said yeah and was planning on asking other people to come and stay. But then he said he wanted to take me out to dinner.... I don't really want to do that, but I already said yes before he mentioned that small detail so now I feel awkward and like I have to go. He lives two hours away so it's a far drive for him to come all the way up here to take me out. There's nothing wrong with him, he's cute and nice, I just don't feel right about it. Do I just tell him straight up not to come?
WildHearted, you could tell him that your sorry but you're unable to go at the moment because you're very busy with work or family obligations!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 View Post
WildHearted, you could tell him that your sorry but you're unable to go at the moment because you're very busy with work or family obligations!
Yeah that's pretty much what I did. I didn't want to hurt his feelings 'cause he IS really nice, I'm just not like.. attracted to him (although he is conventionally attractive ). Plus we have a lot of like lifestyle differences so it wouldn't have worked out anyway.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Advice please:

WildHearted, just be upfront with him. Tell him what you just told us. He'll appreciate your being straightforward with him.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOVING the Olympics. HATING NBC's TV coverage. You'd think it would be common sense NOT to spoil the ending for an event they haven't televised yet - guess not.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Nice summer heat...NOT!

Well, when the low temp for the day is 80F, then you know you're in deep ca-ca from the summer heat of August - right now it is 112F, with similar temps predicted for the next couple of days (Still not the hottest part of the day here) - will be about 86F at around midnight!!!

Btw, found 2 interesting "bootlegs" while organizing my collection - #1 Fleetwood Mac tracks from 1975-1987 that sound like incomplete "Monitor Mixes" - The most interesting one was "Landslide", the vocals were inaudible but the guitar track was quite loud. #2 "Tango in the Night" in 5.1 Surround Sound - I remembering burning it to a DVD-R years ago...

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 08-01-2012 at 04:06 PM..