The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: 24KG: which track sequencing do you prefer?
Deluxe Album! 21 63.64%
Standard Album! 8 24.24%
Who still listens to albums in their entirety?! 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 24KG: Deluxe or Standard Sequencing?

So, there's been a bit of discussion in various threads as to which sequencing for 24KG is better: the Deluxe 16-track album, or Standard 14-track album. So I thought it could be fun to set up a poll.

For me, the Deluxe tracklisting/sequencing is far superior to the Standard album. For one thing, it feels like a cohesive album from start to finish. The songs flow better from start to finish. And when thought of as 4 sets of 4-track EPs, it truly tells a great, well balanced story. And I believe I've said this in another thread, but for me, the first 8 tracks on the Deluxe album are the most sonically perfect run of songs we've received from Stevie in decades.

The Standard album just sounds more disjointed. I don't like how Cathouse Blues is so close to the beginning - it doesn't make sense there. On the Deluxe album, it serves as a fun little breather for the great ending of The Dealer and She Loves Him Still. Likewise, I don't think the Dealer works well as a second track. I LOVED the demo, and really like the released version, but it makes more sense as a mid-tempo rocker leading up to SLHS. As a second song on the album, it falls a bit flat for me.

One thing I like about both versions: the first and last track are the perfect choices.

And finally, it is of course worth mentioning that I love, love both Watch Chain and Twisted.

So, what do you all think?

Last edited by BlueLight; 10-08-2014 at 09:38 PM..
Old 10-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Junior Ledgie

I prefer the standard version, but I love love both WC and Twisted so I just added WC after IDC and Twisted after Mabel. I find it flows even better. The last three songs tend to slow the album down a bit, but I'm not crazy about IYWML or Carousel ( Stevie should never sing about white rabbits on the run) so I will probably skip them in the future.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was thinking about this today also. I do like the deluxe sequence better but I'm not sure if it's because I listned to it first. I do agree that The Dealer is better towards the end of the cd. I wish Watch Chain would have been on the standard cd so the " world " could hear it. Twisted would have been fine as the only additional track on the deluxe version IMO. This selection of tracks are amazing and I hope it charts/ sells high enough for a volume 2.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i never play a tracklisting in order

my default is SHUFFLE

i will say deluxe.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Everything that you just said, BlueLight!!! Deluxe all the way! "IYWML" as the 2nd track and "The Dealer" as the second to last track just makes more sense, sonically. And "Watch Chain" is totally my second favorite track (I think) off this album, so every time I see the standard version, it really depresses me that it's not on there.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I gotta say deluxe, but it's all that I have. I have no plans to buy the 14 track CD.

However, I'm actually pondering my own sequencing. There are things I think can be improved on the deluxe. For example, I think Watch Chain should follow Belle Fleur. They segue into each other perfectly. I also am not sure I like 24 Karat Gold sandwiched in between Twisted and Belle Fleur. If You Were My Love is totally jarring in between Starshine and Mabel Normand. And I want to eliminate Carousel entirely.

I don't have a revised sequence in mind yet, and it might not work out. I'm just pondering it at this point.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Ledgie

I've tried out both sequences in iTunes. The groggy "If You Were My Love" following the peppiest Nicks song in memory, "Starshine," just doesn't work for me.

I like to ideally respect an artist's intention with the sequencing, listening to the album straight through as intended. But the two 24k sequences are different enough that I don't feel obligated with this set.

As I rearranged the 24K playlist, I realized the songs work better for me personally as a tight 10-track album (like WH or BD). Here's what made the cut:

Starshine
Belle Fleur
All the Beautiful Worlds
24 Karat Gold
Lady
Blue Water
The Dealer
Watch Chain
Twisted
She Loves Him Still
Old 10-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad975 View Post
I've tried out both sequences in iTunes. The groggy "If You Were My Love" following the peppiest Nicks song in memory, "Starshine," just doesn't work for me.

I like to ideally respect an artist's intention with the sequencing, listening to the album straight through as intended. But the two 24k sequences are different enough that I don't feel obligated with this set.

As I rearranged the 24K playlist, I realized the songs work better for me personally as a tight 10-track album (like WH or BD). Here's what made the cut:

Starshine
Belle Fleur
All the Beautiful Worlds
24 Karat Gold
Lady
Blue Water
The Dealer
Watch Chain
Twisted
She Loves Him Still
PERFECTION
Old 10-20-2014, 07:07 PM
Ledgie

Ok I also did a serious edit and resequenced it as well
I also like the idea of a tight 10 track 80s type album
This is the one I burned for my friends who are casual fans. :

1 . 24k Gold
2 . The Dealer
3 . Starshine
4. Twisted
5. Hard Advice

6. Belle Flower
7. All the Beautiful Worlds
8. I Don't Care
9. WatchDevil
10. Knocking on Doors

Here is my 6 track EP

24 k gold
The Dealer
Starshine
Belle Flower
All the Beautiful worlds
Knocking on Doors

Here are the songs I would put on mixes or in a Dj set

Starshine
The Dealer

Yes I even took the liberty to re rename the songs
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

To be fair, I have not listened to the CD in the deluxe running order but, just by looking at it, I know I prefer the standard edition. “If You Were My Love” is a bit of a dud for me and it’s not one of the songs that I’ve put on my own 24 KG play list. I’ve always felt that if you kick off the album with a bang, like we have in “Starshine”, you should keep the momentum going, so, having “The Dealer” following works for me.

I too have made a 10 track 24KG play list and it goes as follows:

Starshine
The Dealer
Mabel Normand
Twisted
Hard Advice
24 Karat Gold
Watch Devil
All the Beautiful Worlds
Belle Fleur
She Loves Him Still

I’m just not in a “Lady” and “Blue Water” mood right now.

However, I must say that I quite like Brad975’s first 4 tracks:

Starshine
Belle Fleur
All the Beautiful Worlds
24 Karat Gold

Brad, I’m’ going to give this a try and revisit my own running order using your idea for the first 4 tracks.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default .. at all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
“If You Were My Love” is a bit of a dud for me and it’s not one of the songs that I’ve put on my own 24 KG play list.
Hey Travis, it's funny how us fans feel songs so differently. If You Were My Love is my favorite track from 24 Karat.

I listen to my vinyl LP from front to back (sometimes listening to side 1 and 2 on repeat), but my ITunes Playlist goes like this:

1. 24 Karat Gold
2. Hard Advice
3. Mabel Normand (really dig this track)
4. If You Were My Love (if I were the one who watched over your sleeping, you would never.. be frightened.. at all..) the sound of the piano that haunts you..
5. Belle Fleur
6. Watch Chain
7. Blue Water
8. All the Beautiful Worlds
9. Lady
10. The Dealer
11. She Loves Him Still
Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Hey Travis, it's funny how us fans feel songs so differently. If You Were My Love is my favorite track from 24 Karat.
Oh Keith I'm so sorry ... just kidding

It has been a long time, how the heck are ya? Perhaps we should carry this over to PM. But as far as "If You Were My Love", I don't think any version will surpass the Mirage era demo. That version has so much fire it in. I'm sure the 24KG version is how Stevie originally wanted the song to turn out, but, as much as I love Stevie, she is not a producer. Let the producers do their job. They often get it right. Jimmy Iovine on the 1984 "Sorcerer", Lindsey on 1996 "Twisted", and whoever did the TISL version of "My Heart", etc ... all of those versions, for me, turned out better than the later releases.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Jimmy Iovine on the 1984 "Sorcerer", Lindsey on 1996 "Twisted", and whoever did the TISL version of "My Heart", etc ... all of those versions, for me, turned out better than the later releases.
I ADORE the "Streets Of Fire" version of "Sorcerer"! Well...I adore the musical arrangement and Stevie's raspy, fiery background vocal! I just can't stand Marilyn Martin's voice. I wish they just would have had Stevie sing the soundtrack version.

The magic of TISL's "Sorcerer" is where it's at, though...for me, personally. The falsetto, the magical reverbed 2 note electric guitar on the chorus, the galloping three part harmony...(sigh)

Sorry...back to the topic at hand...

...deluxe all the way! And I still can't wrap my head around the fact that so many people dislike IYWML. Ya'll folks cray cray!
Old 10-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post

...deluxe all the way! And I still can't wrap my head around the fact that so many people dislike IYWML. Ya'll folks cray cray!
I'm sorry. I hate If You Were My Love. There, I said it. I've been tip toeing around it in previous posts. I hate it. It's lethargic, monotone, droning and sounds like a Street Angel reject.

I have my own re-sequencing. I dropped IYWML and Carousel from my playlist. In my imagination, those were the bonus tracks, and I bought the standard edition CD.

24 Karat Gold
Belle Fleur
Twisted
All The Beautiful Worlds
Mabel Normand
Hard Advice
Blue Water
I Don't Care
Watch Chain
Lady
The Dealer
Starshine
She Loves Him Still

Hidden Track:
Cathouse Blues
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 10-21-2014 at 11:15 AM..
Old 10-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post

Hidden Track:
Cathouse Blues
I LOVE that you have a "hidden" track in your custom playlist! It's so 90's!