The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What's your favourite Stevie quotes?

Fun to know! I love everything she says 'cause she got a great sense of humour but here are my favourites (they are in different colors so you know):

"If you can't rock'n'roll, you're old!" -

"I was not going to be a stupid girl singer. I was going to be way more than that."
"By the time I was five, I was a little diva."

"I came here for a reason. I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady. I came here to be a poet!"

"I'm behind the time but in my own fashion world."

It's like somewhere between my Texas accent and my Utah accent and my L.A accent and my San Francisco accent and my ENGLISH accent. It's like people would, you know, wonder where I was from, but when I was with them I was very english. So you take on that sort of english thing, you know, where you are "Very proper" (imitating the english accent) and everything is absolutley, you know, it's either perfect or it's not and that's how, you know, that's how you talk. I mean it's just, you know, "John I ring you up when I get home!" (imitating Christine's english accent). It's like you get that with my other funny accent's that I had to thrown in it's like, I sang ridicculous. People would say "I wonder where she's from? Maybe Mars?"

Stevie: "I'm a rock'n'roll singer! I'm NOT a model, I'm NOT an actress. I would never, ever, ever, EVER, EVER be able to model for Vogue...However (laughing)"

Interviewer: "Why not?"

Stevie: "Because I'm only 5 ft 1 inches tall! And because you know what? I don't care about being pretty that much. What I wanna do is, I wanna sing to you!"

Talking about when Fleetwood Mac would performe in the Bill Clinton inauguration 1993.

"We we're not going to miss performing for the president of United States, so pack up your tranquilizers we're going to Washington DC!"

I keep thinking that one of these days somebody's just gonna grab and hold in my skirt and pull me right off the stage and nobody ever does that, Nobody ever, ever, EVER tries to hurt me. And I think they know, first of all, that I'm a whole lot tougher that they think and that the platform boots that I wear would not be comfortable in their face and the tambourine that I'm usually carrying would not be comfortable around their neck. So they have a respect for my ability to fight for myself"

"Mick made a call on new years eve and the next day we met them and the next day we had dinner and the next day we went into rehersal and rehears for three wes and the next day we were in rehersal for recording the album and two weeks later we were recording and six months later we were famous"

Interviewer: "What do you think about Mick's book?"

Stevie: "I didn't read it...I lived it...I was there...If I read it, I would go through with a BIG read marking pensil, like a teacher, which is what I was trying to be, and I would be putting question marks (laughing and does a question mark in the air) and scratching out things and putting big LIE (writes a big lie in the air) and you know, circleing things "Could've been written better". It's like, that's the way I am when it comes to writing."

So, you're next, what's your favourites???

Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I like...

I like the one that Livia has as her signature about seeing Stevie in a wheelchair in Haight Ashbury flying by with feathers or something like that...Sorry, dont know the exact quote.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDonna93 View Post
I keep thinking that one of these days somebody's just gonna grab and hold in my skirt and pull me right off the stage and nobody ever does that, Nobody ever, ever, EVER tries to hurt me. And I think they know, first of all, that I'm a whole lot tougher that they think and that the platform boots that I wear would not be comfortable in their face and the tambourine that I'm usually carrying would not be comfortable around their neck. So they have a respect for my ability to fight for myself"
I remember all of those incredibly amusing quotes. I especially remember watching the interview containing the above quote and delighting in hearing the menacing, quiet tone of her voice when she says "I'm a whole lot tougher than they think". That whole quote is great.

-Matt

Last edited by Skyveris; 07-01-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Old 07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"What a writer wants to do is put stuff out there and make people mull it over in their minds until suddenly it's something that's way more important than turning on the stereo." (The Island Ear, August 22, 1994)
Old 07-01-2009, 04:20 PM
llb

"Nobody is that cute."
Old 07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I like the one that Livia has as her signature about seeing Stevie in a wheelchair in Haight Ashbury flying by with feathers or something like that...Sorry, dont know the exact quote.

There are lots of others - but ones I use almost every day in regular conversation:

"Because they were made for my foot...they were made for ME. And that's what I love, I love people who are themselves and go right on being themselves, because you know what? In the long run, you're gonna be....with yourself."

"I never went into the studio in jeans and tennis shoes. Ever! I always dressed up and everyone would say, 'Well, look at her, she must have really thought she was going somewhere.' Because if you don't do that, then you'll become like an old shoe. And I will NEVER become an old shoe, to ANY of the men in my life."

Last edited by Livia; 07-01-2009 at 05:01 PM..
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"I'm only talking cuz I should really keep my mouth shut!"

"I will hand mail it to each one of you. I WILL! WE WILL! Kinda like Girl Scout cookies."

"You could be standin' in, what does that mean, you mgiht ask? It means of course, quicksand!"

"Off to my... whatever side that is... "
(US Festival, 1983)

"Tooooommmmmm, why are you micing the red dozen roses? They're all lit up and it's REALLY neat!", or whatever that quote is. Someone, audio, please.

Well. It's not THAT FUNNY IS IT?!" (Stevie when the power went out during the Tusk rehearsal)

"Nobody even... knows what I'm talking about..."

"I can't stop; I can't go, "wait a minute, gotta find my contact lens!'"
Old 07-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post

"Tooooommmmmm, why are you micing the red dozen roses? They're all lit up and it's REALLY neat!", or whatever that quote is. Someone, audio, please.
Here you go...

Download Stevie Nicks - Stevie On Drugs (Tom and the Red Roses)

The best part is...

"Tommmmm...I know you're on the moon, but...."

My other favourites...

From Rolling Stone in 1980

In an hour or so, things are edgy again. New material isn't working out. Serious drinking is under way. Stevie Nicks comes over during a short break.

"That song!" She is talking about "Go Your Own Way," Buckingham's song.

"The harmony part is too high and I have to hurt and strain every time I sing it." She is upset, a little tipsy. She leans forward and whispers something to me in a voice that seems to silly to be serious.

"Now, I want you to know-that line about 'shacking up'? I never shacked up with anybody when I was with him! People will hear the song and think that! I was the one who broke up with him."

She smiles conspiratorially.

"All he wanted to do was fall asleep with that guitar."

And these two aren't really funny, but they always tug at my heart strings, much like her lyrics...

From Mick's Book...so take it with a grain of salt perhaps but apparently it's actually from a BBC interview?

"I gave Lindsey up...he's a thing of my past. I hope he finds what he's searching for, and I hope he's happy, and I wish him well. And there's nothing left to say."

And this, much more full-circle quote from Mojo in 2003

“Now I just adore him,” says Nicks, with ravishing candour. “He is my love. My first love and my love for all time. But we can’t ever be together. He has a lovely wife, Kristen, who I really like, and they are expecting their third child. The way he is with his children just knocks me out. I look at him now and just go, Oh, Stevie, you made a mistake!”

She leans forward. “But when we go on-stage together we are able to experience our love affair again - and again and again! For two and a half hours, four times a week...There isn’t really anybody in my life - it wouldn’t be good for me now anyway, I’m always away. But when hard times come over the next 20 or 30 years, when people we love die, he’ll be the first person I’ll call. Knowing that now, I think he has been able to let go of all the nasty things that happened and realise that, like I said to him, Lindsey, you’ll always have me. I’m always a phone call away. So you get it all.”

Apparently I'm just a big un-shipper...don't think they're still together or anything, but I'm fascinated and captivated by their history and the ongoing emotion, etc, whatever...

Okay...I'm done now
Old 07-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She's always got something to say.

I can't get the quotes right now, but some of my favorites are when she said something like big, round ball of tuskness and when she said the pale shadow of the dragon boy was always in the background.

Also, that conversations quote where she said she liked cemeteries but Lindsey really liked them always made me laugh. I just don't know what it means. I mean, some people really do like cemeteries, like historians and genealogists, but I wouldn't take Lindsey for one of those people.

Michele
Old 07-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Also, that conversations quote where she said she liked cemeteries. I mean, some people really do like cemeteries, like historians and genealogists.
I have always loved cemeteries too. Michele, we probably both got our fascination for them because we were BIG fans of Dark Shadows.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To Molly Meldrum in 1986:
We were so busy Molly. And nobody has time to read Billboard or Cashbox when you're on the road.

To PM Magazine in 1979:
I'm not going out on some cloud for Fleetwood Mac or anybody else. If being a rock-n-roll star means being that, then I don't wanna be a rock-n-roll star and I don't wanna be in it anymore. And that's exactly where I am. If I want to go antique shopping, I am NOT gonna have someone following me!

Last edited by vivfox; 07-01-2009 at 11:13 PM..
Old 07-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Also, that conversations quote where she said she liked cemeteries but Lindsey really liked them always made me laugh. I just don't know what it means. I mean, some people really do like cemeteries, like historians and genealogists, but I wouldn't take Lindsey for one of those people.
Actually that one makes sense to me...especially back in the day. He seemed a little dark and twisty...
Old 07-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I have always loved cemeteries too. Michele, we probably both got our fascination for them because we were BIG fans of Dark Shadows.
Oh, I don't like cemeteries.

Regarding Dark Shadows, I actually believe that watching that at such an early age shaped what I think of as attractive. I mean, Lindsey in the Slow Dancing video: . Really, really works. If I hadn't liked Jonathan Frid, I don't know if I would feel the same.

I was doing a Michael Jackson marathon this weekend and saw the Who Is It video. Ian Buchanan (Duke Lavery) was in it. He was gorgeous to me back then and why? 'Cause he's a guy I can imagine on a misty dock, in a black cloak. Sunken cheeks, withholding eyes, haunting secret. I'm so in.

Michele
Old 07-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a total Stevie/Lindesy person, too. Such an incredible story, and we are lucky enough to see such a phenomenal glimpse of it.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Or about dressing up as a witch: "I didn't want to go as a hot dog or a box of kleenex."

Ok, kleenex may not be that evocative, but I just get this image of her dressed up in a hot dog costume and it really makes me laugh. Michele