Alice (The Other Side of the Mirror) 3 3.30%
Street Angel 0 0%
Trouble In Shangri-La 22 24.18%
In Your Dreams 1 1.10%
24 Karat Gold 14 15.38%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2014, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I first posted this poll I figured "Trouble in Shangri-La" and "Wild Heart" would both do very well.

I'm surprised that "Bella Donna" has done as well as it has, and also surprised "24 Karat Gold" hasn't done better, considering that nearly everyone cites the song as a favorite off the new album.

"Rock A Little" came in about where I thought it would....not as popular as WH or TISL, but with a solid showing.

Also surprised that "Alice" and "In Your Dreams" got votes as a best Nicks title track, but variety is a the spice of life.

Unless there's a sudden surge of more votes, it looks like TISL is going to win.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Poor "Street Angel".
So sad. Someone needs to try to bring her in, out of the cold!
Old 10-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
also surprised "24 Karat Gold" hasn't done better, considering that nearly everyone cites the song as a favorite off the new album.
Well it IS my personal favorite off the new record. It's gotten quite a lot of votes, which is great...but I don't think a lot of diehard fans (such as myself) are going to forsake some of the amazing title tracks from the last 30 years of her career. We've listened to them a lot longer than "24KG" and they are ingrained in our subconscious as "forever favorites" and "go-to songs" that make us happy.

Perhaps as the years go by, and we've had a chance to slide 24KG into our playlists and our lives, it might surpass our current favorite title tracks.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Wild Heart" is my favorite title-track, but "Trouble In Shangri-La" is a very close second. They're both epic.

If the 5+ minute version of "Rock A Little" had been used on the album, as opposed to the 3 & a half minute edit, that track might be getting a little more love. The longer version definitely feels far more "title-track worthy."

My ranking:

#1. "Wild Heart"
#2. "Trouble In Shangri-La"
#3. "Rock A Little"
#4. "24 Karat Gold"
#5. "Bella Donna"
#6. "Alice"
#7. "In Your Dreams"
#8. "Street Angel"
Old 10-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Junior Ledgie

I chose Alice, even though it was a hard pick, It is the song that I most identify with and I will always be in love with that song. TOSOTM was the first album I ever heard, so it will always have a special place in my heart forever. xx

Last edited by Rachelclaire; 10-20-2014 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: Shocking grammar.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does someone have a link to the longer version of "Rock A Little"? I didn't even know one existed.

The longer version of "Planets of the Universe" is superior too....that should have been the album version on TISL.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Does someone have a link to the longer version of "Rock A Little"? I didn't even know one existed.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's interesting because it's not an extended version, but is rather the whole song, without being chopped up and taped back together awkwardly to fit on a vinyl record. The first time you hear it, you sing along because you're brain says 'oh it's Rock A Little' but then you'll hear pieces of the song that aren't in your mental playback.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh wow, the poll closed and we have:

A three-way tie! LOL

Bella Donna/Wild Heart/Trouble In Shangri-La.

Good thing this isn't Florida in 2000. :P
Old 10-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh wow, the poll closed and we have:

A three-way tie! LOL

Bella Donna/Wild Heart/Trouble In Shangri-La.
TRIAD.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 05-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It will always be Bella Donna for me.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Ledgie

It's a tie for me between Bella Donna and Trouble in Shangri-La, simply because Bella Dnna is simply beautiful all around and TISL is so powerful and captivating.
To hear you
Old 05-21-2016, 05:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Bella Donna is my favorite
I love Wild Heart but the ending is just very odd (fade out)
Trouble is the best song on TISRL

I hate Rock A Little. But the extended version which may have been the original before shortening it is very good. I actually like it. I love the keyboard playing near the end and even real percussion is layered in the song near the end. Stevie's vocals are much better and clear. You can actually hear her and what she is singing. How the album cut made the album is beyond me. As someone pointed out, there is a drug haze around the song that has some appeal I guess. The entire RAL album is interesting because the demos, the extended cuts and the songs that were recorded but not put on this album are ALL so much better than the songs that made the cut. The extended cut of RAL is just another example.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The entire RAL album is interesting because the demos, the extended cuts and the songs that were recorded but not put on this album are ALL so much better than the songs that made the cut. The extended cut of RAL is just another example.
Totally! And if ever they do the "deluxe treatment" of any of her albums (yeah, right ) like they've done with Rumours, Tusk and now Mirage, then Rock A Little would be the album I'd look forward to the most, as the demos, outtakes and alternate versions seem to be the most interesting and extensive!
Old 05-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Totally! And if ever they do the "deluxe treatment" of any of her albums (yeah, right ) like they've done with Rumours, Tusk and now Mirage, then Rock A Little would be the album I'd look forward to the most, as the demos, outtakes and alternate versions seem to be the most interesting and extensive!
Oh that would be great. A re-release of RAL with demos and extras would be extraordinary. My theory on the shorter, worse version (IMHO) of Rock A Little is the following. I believe this extended version was the original and produced by Jimmy Iovine. When he left and songs were thrown out and others quickly brought in with other producers some of the songs suffered. I see space an issue on the album. The previous 2 solo albums had 10 songs. Vinyl was still a dominant selling factor. RAL has 11 songs. So space on the album was a problem and RAL was re-recorded and shortened. Thus the later in the album the worse shape Stevie was in. Her vocals on the album version on RAL are raspy whispers. Some of the lyrics are twisted or confused compared to this extended (IMHO original) version.
I just cant for the life of me understand anyone thinking the album version is better than the extended version. Its also the case for Some Become Strangers. I hate the song but the version that did not make the album is actually not too bad. Stevie's vocals AGAIN are so much better than the coke hole album version.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-21-2016 at 04:24 PM..