The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know this going to be a great album.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Why wouldn't they want to involve the others in all the decisions? They're a band. Surely the same could have been said of the songwriters on any other album. Lindsey and Stevie could have called Say You Will Buckingham Nicks 2 but they didnt.
I don't know, I'm not in their heads but it's possible not everyone of them wants to do the same thing now, it wouldn't be the first time. Maybe not everyone wants to do an album without Stevie? Maybe not everyone wants to tour this summer? Maybe not everyone wants to commit fully to the studio for the time being? Or maybe Lindsey and Christine wants to change a bit and they want the freedom to use different musicians for different tracks? Or maybe Lindsey and Christine just wants to experiment an album of which they really are the sole two creators? Maybe they want freedom from the bindings of record companies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It HAS been done before.

Then Play On didn't have any songs featuring Jeremy Spencer, who was one of the frontmen at the time.

Christine has fronted the band with only one other vocalist, Bob Welch.

Lindsey has fronted the band with only one other vocalist, Stevie Nicks. THAT was a weirder use of the Fleetwood Mac name since they had a prior band called Buckingham Nicks.

Lindsey and Christine co-fronted Fleetwood Mac together on five albums.
And they were all unique experiments in their genre. People aren't interchangeable, different members=different dynamics=different music. Otherwise there wouldn't be any difference between the different eras of this band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
By not calling it Fleetwood Mac, it deflects attention away from Stevie. If they had called it Fleetwood Mac, Stevie would get a lot of questions about it.

The difference was the end wasn't in sight. This is probably the last big tour, and they want to keep the classic lineup in tact.

Except that a lot of the songs Christine finished were started by Lindsey with Mick and John in 2012 with the intention of having Stevie finish them for what they had hoped would be a new Fleetwood Mac album. We got Extended Play instead.

When Christine came back, she did so to work with her musical family, not just Lindsey.

So, no, band politics is why this won't be called what it really is, Fleetwood Mac.
I highly doubt Stevie won't get questions this way.
And the end of Fleetwood Mac was avoided by a breath in the 90's if it wasn't for the Clinton inauguration and The Dance, everyone thought the classic line-up and probably the band were to die at the time.
I just don't think at this point they really care so much about band politics.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 01-13-2017 at 04:58 PM..
Old 01-13-2017, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I don't know, I'm not in their heads but it's possible not everyone of them wants to do the same thing now, it wouldn't be the first time. Maybe not everyone wants to do an album without Stevie? Maybe not everyone wants to tour this summer? Maybe not everyone wants to commit fully to the studio for the time being? Or maybe Lindsey and Christine wants to change a bit and they want the freedom to use different musicians for different tracks? Or maybe Lindsey and Christine just wants to experiment an album of which they really are the sole two creators? Maybe they want freedom from the bindings of record companies?
I'm like 99.99% sure it's a case of them not wanting the weird publicity/awkwardness and angry Stevie and money questions of releasing a Fleetwood Mac album without her on it but they still want to get their work out so they're doing this instead.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
whether it is intentional or not, Buckingham McVie as a title has such similarity to Buckingham Nicks....... I mean they could call it anything. Seems like there's some messaging there. Look who has a new partner.....AND they're writing together....
Oh it's TOTALLY intentional. I think they just wanted to parallel that title, not like rub it in her face or anything but I doubt she's amused. These people are too funny, the drama never ends.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Make no mistake...this is a Fleetwood Mac album. They've spent the last 3 years making it and have spent the whole time trying to convince Stevie to participate. The initial 7 songs were Mick John and Lindsey and it sounds as if the recent recording was MJL&C. If they'd been successful and encouraged Stevie to participate do you really think the album would have other musicians?

As somebody else has said it is probably more likely a contractual issue. They are signed up for a world tour as a 5 piece. If they release a Fleetwood Mac album now the'll have to tour it. Promoters probably wouldn't allow them to tour as a 4 piece band ahead of the full world tour.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-13-2017, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They’re nearly done with the album they’re calling “Buckingham McVie.”
That is what the article says. They are calling the album “Buckingham McVie.” It says nothing about what they are calling the band. It seems at least possible that they will use the "Fleetwood Mac" name. The article doesn't say for sure they are not going to use it.

I also read that sentence as making it sound that the name is a working title. It's possible that the actual name will be different once the recording, mixing, and packaging are complete.

Anyway, WHO CARES???? I simply couldn't be more excited. The two songwriters in the band who still want to create new music are doing just that. Lindsey and Christine have always had a wonderful musical chemistry. Hooray!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:19 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I'm baffled by no Stevie, especially now that Chris is back in the fold. Truly baffled. The band has always been a bit dramatic, so this really should come as no huge surprise. And we've seen Stevie be distant from the band over the last year or so. But you know, I wish they'd just be a bit more stable and "boring." Be a band. Give the people what they want, or in my case need. Be the Rumours 5-some and put out a new album. But this honestly the next best thing. Maybe even a better thing. The vibe and energy on this album might be better than one with Stevie. It's weird... it's almost like when SYW came out and John was saying in the documentary there would be a pall over the whole thing (had Chris been there) because the band knew she didn't want to be there. I guess the same thing is happening with Stevie right now, and I never really expected this of her. But hey, bring on Buckingham McVie!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not only did they NOT say they were working with different people, they went out of their way to mention that Mick and John were involved. In fact, they ONLY mentioned Mick and John. If they were trying to distinguish this from Fleetwood Mac, they did a lousy job.

And, Christine said in an earlier interview that the FOUR of them were planning a smaller summer tour.

Quote:
And they were all unique experiments in their genre. People aren't interchangeable, different members=different dynamics=different music. Otherwise there wouldn't be any difference between the different eras of this band.
Okay? I'm not sure what your point is . . . I mean "people aren't interchangeable, different members=different dynamics=different music" didn't stop them from using the Fleetwood Mac name before, and these four people were 80% of a band over five studio albums, so there's nobody different in the mix. Calling this Fleetwood Mac wouldn't have been a stretch.

Quote:
And the end of Fleetwood Mac was avoided by a breath in the 90's if it wasn't for the Clinton inauguration and The Dance, everyone thought the classic line-up and probably the band were to die at the time.
If the sales numbers of all the Fleetwood Mac-related output -band or solo- between 1992-97 were added together, I doubt it would hit 600,000 albums. Lindsey and Stevie tanked as solo artists after leaving the band and the band tanked without them. The only way they could have careers was reuniting.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
That is what the article says. They are calling the album “Buckingham McVie.” It says nothing about what they are calling the band. It seems at least possible that they will use the "Fleetwood Mac" name. The article doesn't say for sure they are not going to use it.

I also read that sentence as making it sound that the name is a working title. It's possible that the actual name will be different once the recording, mixing, and packaging are complete.

Anyway, WHO CARES???? I simply couldn't be more excited. The two songwriters in the band who still want to create new music are doing just that. Lindsey and Christine have always had a wonderful musical chemistry. Hooray!

'The album coming out of these sessions, however won't bear the Fleetwood Mac imprimatur'

I take that as meaning it won't be the Fleetwood Mac 'brand'

Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On the plus side, at least Mick won't be able to yell "The Mac Is Back!!!" after the shows.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I'm baffled by no Stevie, especially now that Chris is back in the fold. Truly baffled. The band has always been a bit dramatic, so this really should come as no huge surprise. And we've seen Stevie be distant from the band over the last year or so. But you know, I wish they'd just be a bit more stable and "boring." Be a band. Give the people what they want, or in my case need. Be the Rumours 5-some and put out a new album. But this honestly the next best thing. Maybe even a better thing. The vibe and energy on this album might be better than one with Stevie. It's weird... it's almost like when SYW came out and John was saying in the documentary there would be a pall over the whole thing (had Chris been there) because the band knew she didn't want to be there. I guess the same thing is happening with Stevie right now, and I never really expected this of her. But hey, bring on Buckingham McVie!
I think the difference is now she really never got over her Say You Will grudge so she doesn't trust Lindsey in the studio anymore for a full album and now that she's older and doesn't think records sell anymore she doesn't have the will to put up with the power struggle and drama that comes with making an album for FM.
However, I truly believe that she was just expecting them to scrap the project and not release anything so I think the fact that they're doing this is something she's not happy about.
I know it was forever ago but I remember when she talked about how when Lindsey and Chris wrote World Turning how much it upset her. Of course a lot has changed since then but I still think she isn't going to be happy.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if they're calling it a duets album because literally every song is going to be a duet? I hope that's not the case, but it would be great to hear a lot of duets between Lindsey and Christine. Just not all of them!

I'm looking forward to the album, but I have to admit my expectations are low. I hated Temporary One and Sweet Girl, tolerated Bleed to Love Her and My Little Demon, and liked only a handful of songs on Say You Will, and most of the ones I liked were Stevie's. And I loved nearly all of Christine's songs she co-wrote with Eddy Quintela at that time (As Long As You Follow, Save Me, Little Lies, Love Shines, etc), but since they are divorced, I'm guessing he didn't contribute to her songs for this album. We'll all find out soon enough!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought Lindsey's songs on Say You Will were real songs. I loved his work. I can't wait to see him paired with another songwriter that doesn't halfass songs.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I wonder if they're calling it a duets album because literally every song is going to be a duet? I hope that's not the case, but it would be great to hear a lot of duets between Lindsey and Christine. Just not all of them!

I'm looking forward to the album, but I have to admit my expectations are low. I hated Temporary One and Sweet Girl, tolerated Bleed to Love Her and My Little Demon, and liked only a handful of songs on Say You Will, and most of the ones I liked were Stevie's. And I loved nearly all of Christine's songs she co-wrote with Eddy Quintela at that time (As Long As You Follow, Save Me, Little Lies, Love Shines, etc), but since they are divorced, I'm guessing he didn't contribute to her songs for this album. We'll all find out soon enough!
Do you have In the Meantime?

Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-13-2017, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I think the difference is now she really never got over her Say You Will grudge so she doesn't trust Lindsey in the studio anymore for a full album and now that she's older and doesn't think records sell anymore she doesn't have the will to put up with the power struggle and drama that comes with making an album for FM.
Realistically, all she had to do was contribute two acoustic songs. I bet they wouldn't have forced her to do background vocals. If she could have spared all of one day, it could have been a Fleetwood Mac album. She could even have blamed her lack of involvement on her busy schedule.

THE Stephen Hopkins