The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nemo (my cat) was just diagnosed with liver disease. He's been sick for about a week now and hasn't been eating so my mother took him to the vet. We now have to force feed him prescription food, I have to drop pills down his throat once a day, and my mother has to stick him with the thickest needle ever to get fluid inside of him.
F-U-N! I care about his life so it's all worth it anyway.

School starts next Tuesday and my summer assignments still aren't done. I shall start tomorrow
Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I hope so! I'll be spending the last weekend of the summer at my house on the east end of Long Island... and I'm kinda terrified! I would be totally pissed if the power goes out and the roads are blocked by water and trees. No food, no music, no lights, no internet... Ugh!

Let's hope this thing turns out to sea!
I am from eastern LI. Went to Mattituck High School.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelluversu View Post
Nemo (my cat) was just diagnosed with liver disease. He's been sick for about a week now and hasn't been eating so my mother took him to the vet. We now have to force feed him prescription food, I have to drop pills down his throat once a day, and my mother has to stick him with the thickest needle ever to get fluid inside of him.
F-U-N! I care about his life so it's all worth it anyway.

School starts next Tuesday and my summer assignments still aren't done. I shall start tomorrow
I'm so sorry to hear that. Still, it's great that Nemo has someone who cares about him so much.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Why do I always seem to attract drunken bums when I'm standing minding my own business at the bus stop? Granted he was a Fleetwood Mac fan, something I found out when he came up to me and pulled one my earphones out to listen to without even saying hello to me (Sweet Girl if you're wondering). But that did NOT give him the right to rub against me, offer me a drink from his can of beer every five seconds and ask me to come back to his place. It would have been better if one of the men around me at the stop would have stuck up for the 21 year old woman who looks more like a thirteen year old, instead of simply standing there pretending not to see it. Good to know that chivelry is still alive...
Old 08-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I am from eastern LI. Went to Mattituck High School.
Oh wow, that is way out there! I'm on the South Fork, but I recently did the winery circuit on the NoFo. It's lovely and a pastorally bucolic way to get drunk without spending a lot of money.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Why do I always seem to attract drunken bums when I'm standing minding my own business at the bus stop? Granted he was a Fleetwood Mac fan, something I found out when he came up to me and pulled one my earphones out to listen to without even saying hello to me (Sweet Girl if you're wondering). But that did NOT give him the right to rub against me, offer me a drink from his can of beer every five seconds and ask me to come back to his place. It would have been better if one of the men around me at the stop would have stuck up for the 21 year old woman who looks more like a thirteen year old, instead of simply standing there pretending not to see it. Good to know that chivelry is still alive...
Everything. Everything about that gives me the creeps, especially the part about you looking like a 13-year-old. He probably thought you were a kid! Well, I know I would have gone all Chris Hanson on his a$$ if I was there!

Perhaps a little vial of pepper spray would be a wise investment...
Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh wow, that is way out there! I'm on the South Fork, but I recently did the winery circuit on the NoFo. It's lovely and a pastorally bucolic way to get drunk without spending a lot of money.
Yes! Nothing like a day of wine tastings. My sister lives on the South Fork. Beautiful area, but I still prefer the NoFo (nice abbreviation). Much more laid back and obviously familiar and homey to me. Do you ever spend any "off season" time at your home? So much more quiet and peaceful during the fall and winter months.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Everything. Everything about that gives me the creeps, especially the part about you looking like a 13-year-old. He probably thought you were a kid! Well, I know I would have gone all Chris Hanson on his a$$ if I was there!

Perhaps a little vial of pepper spray would be a wise investment...

I hadn't thought about the whole childlike thing really until you pointed that out Lovely *shudder*. I've always looked too young for my age and I think I'll be around fourty five before I can go to a bar and be served without ID lol. I was lucky I had my wits about me really. He thought my iPod was an iPhone so I pretended to get a call and walked away. Had to wait another hour for my bus because he was getting on the one I would have gotten onto but it was worth it. Didn't want to risk him figuring out where I lived. I've never heard of Pepper Spray being sold in England but I'll see if I can get it imported lol. Worth it if it keeps myself and my iPod free of Drunken Bum Chiggers. I was lucky I had my hand sanitizer spray with me (a bit germaphobic) so I could spray my bud before I put it back in my ear :s
Old 08-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
Yes! Nothing like a day of wine tastings. My sister lives on the South Fork. Beautiful area, but I still prefer the NoFo (nice abbreviation). Much more laid back and obviously familiar and homey to me. Do you ever spend any "off season" time at your home? So much more quiet and peaceful during the fall and winter months.
I do spend some winter weekends out there- mostly to do laundry and cook- but I actually find it kind of depressing sometimes. The icy wind coming off the water is so awful and most of the local businesses are shut down until spring. And because of its far eastern location, the sky starts to get dark a little before 4PM, which is also no fun. I'm a summer person, so unless I'm actively doing something like skiing, winter is just a time to get fat and hibernate for me.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hadn't thought about the whole childlike thing really until you pointed that out Lovely *shudder*. I've always looked too young for my age and I think I'll be around fourty five before I can go to a bar and be served without ID lol. I was lucky I had my wits about me really. He thought my iPod was an iPhone so I pretended to get a call and walked away. Had to wait another hour for my bus because he was getting on the one I would have gotten onto but it was worth it. Didn't want to risk him figuring out where I lived. I've never heard of Pepper Spray being sold in England but I'll see if I can get it imported lol. Worth it if it keeps myself and my iPod free of Drunken Bum Chiggers. I was lucky I had my hand sanitizer spray with me (a bit germaphobic) so I could spray my bud before I put it back in my ear :s
Oh, trust me, you won't be saying that in another ten years. Youth is wasted on the young, as the old saying goes...

I didn't realize you were in England. I assumed you all were a more civilized lot than we are here, but I suppose crazy does not recognize borders (or large bodies of water).
Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh gahd, Silver Springs, I feel your pain. Granted I'm only 16 (17 tomorrow, NOOOOOO) but I look a lot younger than I am and they always come up to me saying "How does it feel to be so beautiful" I often scurry away, sometimes swear or I have been known to say "I don't know, you've got your beer goggles on!" They creep the hell out of me *shudders*

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I feel your pain. This type of **** happens to me, on average, once a week. I'm a magnet for creepers.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Registered

For Silver Springs, Georgie, and Dani -

Alas, it doesn't actually matter what you look like when you're out and about - some men will always think that just the fact that you've had the temerity to both leave the house AND be female gives them free reign to say/do whatever they want.

If someone is making you uncomfortable, that is not okay and you need to let them know it's not okay. I used to sort of just take it, but when I was about 16, a man literally physically dragged me out of my friend's car window while we were sitting in a parking lot in front of a store, and no one helped me - not even my friend. I got away from him and dealt him a good kick in the balls before I ran into the store, but that situation scared me so badly that I decided the next time ANYONE said or did anything I didn't like, I was going to let them know in no uncertain terms.

So when a guy is an ass to me, I'm now an ass back. And if I see a guy making another woman uncomfortable, but she's not sticking up for herself for whatever reason, you can bet your ass I'm right there telling the guy to f*ck off. More often than not, it works like a charm, and I think it's because many women don't do or say anything back to them when they behave like that.

Example: Saturday night, I am standing in line at the gas station by myself (Cute Guitar Boy stayed in the car to keep an eye on the kiddos), and some dude in front of me starts leering, and then informs me that he just got off work at the strip club. Where he's a stripper. "Which means naked," he says.

"How nice for you," I deadpan.

"You should come out some time, I'll give you a dance," he says.

"Oh man! Thanks for the invite! I have to go see the doctor tomorrow about this whole syphilis of the gums thing I've got going on, but if it clears up by next weekend, I will totally be there!" says me.

He stopped talking after that.

If the situation is more serious than something like that, though - then feel free to say, "NO," or "LEAVE ME ALONE," or "GET AWAY FROM ME," or "DO NOT TOUCH ME." And if the guy doesn't stop, then you make more noise. Use your best judgment, of course, but I find that a little intimidation or fighting back goes a long way. Most of these idiots aren't used to anyone saying anything back, so it often startles them into shutting up and going away.

And if someone grabs you like I got grabbed back in the day, then, if you can, you fight like hell and give him a reason to NEVER do something like that again.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate that crap.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''
Old 08-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wow. After an experience like that I'm not surprised that you got such a backbone, especially as nobody there was willing to help! Good for you for having such confidence! I wish I did. But I guess it's one of those things you just have to learn either by your own steam or the hard way :s. I think I'll start walking around in my Doc Marten Boots so I'm prepared for next time.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Registered

^^^^

Yeah, it sucked. Scared the crap out of me. I've had guys grab me since (most recently, the next door neighbor - that was an even worse situation, because I could not physically fight back for various reasons and had to get out of there without kicking him and running).

I don't know if it's confidence so much as righteous anger, though.

I'm not suggesting you put yourself into a situation where you could get hurt due to your response to such behavior, or anything - go with your gut. But if someone is seriously bothering you and there are other people around, like your bus stop situation, you can probably get a firm "Leave me alone" out there and have it be effective.

I don't know why I get creepers bothering me as much as I do - I don't exactly look like I'm in the mood for ANYONE's crap, and I'm not what you'd call conventionally attractive. But it happens and happens. People suck. So when they suck in your direction, let them know.

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''