Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
"You Make Loving Fun" !!!!!
That song gives me chills every time. For me, it's the ultimate 1977 summer song.

Remember when they played just the harmony vocals on the Classic Albums: Rumours thing? ZIIIIPPPPPPPPPP! There go the chills again!

I agree with you. I could listen to that segment of the documentary all day.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 05-10-2005 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

'Little Lies' goes without saying, but I'd have to say that 'Save Me' is a close second. I've always loved this song, and still don't understand why is wasn't a big hit...
Old 05-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Definitely Little Lies & You Make Loving Fun.

I also think alot of Christine's work on BTM is extremely underrated (outside of the die hards) and should have been a hit.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Don't Stop" came close to #1. It's a song that definately has a universal appeal and message. Hold Me and Little Lies should have hit the top of the charts.

Regarding the live performance of Hold Me:

The first time I saw the band was on their Mirage Tour (which I consider one of their best, tightest tours...and it's their last tour with just the five of them.) I was wondering how they would pull of the harmonies of "Hold me...eeee." Instead of attempting that... they sang "Hold me...yeah!"

I think it's unfair to compare the studio versions to the live versions. The studio versions are painstakingly labored over, with multiple layers of instruments and vocals, in a controlled environment. When I see a band, I don't want to hear a carbon copy of the record. In Fleetwood Mac's case, that would never happen with just four instruments.

My enjoyment and interest in the live performances is seeing how they adapt the songs for a concert. For me it's not a matter of the live band trying to match the studio version. I tend to judge the live performance on its own merit. So I think "Hold Me" holds up! Sure, it's more raw, but I find it to be less lightweight and more rock and roll (than the studio version), especially the ending.

One thing that I think is killing the spontaneous raw nature of rock and roll concerts is this newfound, current generation expectation to hear perfect renditions of songs. As such, concerts are becoming less real and unique, and more planned and canned, safe and sound.

The pressure is on, and musicians, with more technology at hand, are bowing to it. How else do you explain Fleetwood Mac touring with TEN additional members? For me, the very live soul of the band has been gutted in order to placate a new MTV generation that has very different expectations. Unfornately, that is the nature of the current, septic corporate music industry.

Just listen to all the bootlegs of the Say You Will tour. They, for the most part, all sound the same. I prefer the uneven, but very real performances of the band circa 1975-1982. To borrow Lindsey's overused term, these are "organic" peformances where you can hear and single out every instrument and vocal line, for better or worse.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-10-2005 at 12:55 PM..
Old 05-10-2005, 12:54 PM

In my opinion, they did not do this song justice in concert on the Mirage tour. Christine did this song on her solo tour 1984 and it was much much better. I realize this is not a popular opinion but it's more complimentary to the production of the studio version. I like the clarity of it. I think it's a quite fair opinion....
Old 05-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Of course! Every opinion is fair!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead
Of course! Every opinion is fair!

NO WAY only mine are fair, all others are very biased!!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
But my favorite song of her singles is "You Make Loving Fun". The most underrated song of her singles is "Think About Me".
YMLF would be my alltime favorite, followed by Think About Me. Then, Hold Me, then As Long As You Follow.
I've been listening to the Tusk Bonus disc for the past couple weeks, and I save the Think About Me single version until I'm about 3 minutes from work, so it's the song stuck in my head!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
That song gives me chills every time. For me, it's the ultimate 1977 summer song.

Remember when they played just the harmony vocals on the Classic Albums: Rumours thing? ZIIIIPPPPPPPPPP! There go the chills again!
Have to agree.....goose bumps, every time!!!!

-Lis
Old 05-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is difficult. I like all of them, though I can do without Don't Stop due to the whole Clinton thing.
I can't pick just one, so...Little Lies, YMLF, and Over My Head.

Inspired Angel: Stevie Nicks
Old 05-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath
I also think alot of Christine's work on BTM is extremely underrated (outside of the die hards) and should have been a hit.
Absolutely. Her BTM material is fab.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
In my opinion, they did not do this song justice in concert on the Mirage tour. Christine did this song on her solo tour 1984 and it was much much better. I realize this is not a popular opinion but it's more complimentary to the production of the studio version. I like the clarity of it.
It doesn't matter if this isn't a popular opinion. I agree. Her live solo version of "Hold Me" was better.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It surprises me that she actually cares about having a #1. She always comes across as so humble and self-deprecating in interviews.
But of her singles, I think "You Make Loving Fun" is the most interesting -- I'd say that should have gone to the top.
Also, "Think About Me" should have gone much higher than it did -- at least Top 10. I think it was mostly because Tusk, the album, ran out of steam so quickly that it didn't go higher. I love that song!
Old 05-10-2005, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12
It surprises me that she actually cares about having a #1. She always comes across as so humble and self-deprecating in interviews.
But of her singles, I think "You Make Loving Fun" is the most interesting -- I'd say that should have gone to the top.
Also, "Think About Me" should have gone much higher than it did -- at least Top 10. I think it was mostly because Tusk, the album, ran out of steam so quickly that it didn't go higher. I love that song!

That is my theory too! If they would have released Think About Me or Sara first, Tusk would have lasted a little longer.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Word. Can't believe it took until the 14th post for someone to mention it. I especially love the harmonies on the final "Yoooooooou, you make lovin' fun/ it's all I wanna do." (Maybe that's the same part you guys are talking about from the doc...?)

All I know is that I have that "Rumours Staying True" thing (I know it's just someone pulling the vocals forward on the DVD-A or something) and I can listen to that part over and over again on that.

Take on the situation but not the torment