Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
She didn't take care of her amazing voice when she had it, instead mucking it up with drugs and cigarettes and booze and not resting properly etc.

Changing a verb tense is a crime?? Stevie's songs often could benefit from a good editor, as all great writers have had. You think Hemingway didn't have an editor??
To be fair (and I somewhat agree with the rest you said) the first point you made is true for all the three singers of FM and Stevie is the only one who has learned to take consistent care of her voice in the past 20 years, and it's improper to compare Stevie's writing with Hemingway apart from the more obvious reasons also because writing lyrics for a song entails an entirely different medium from writing for a book.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
To be fair (and I somewhat agree with the rest you said) the first point you made is true for all the three singers of FM and Stevie is the only one who has learned to take consistent care of her voice in the past 20 years, and it's improper to compare Stevie's writing with Hemingway apart from the more obvious reasons also because writing lyrics for a song entails an entirely different medium from writing for a book.
point taken, but even published poets have editors.

My main point was that no one in this band is above reproach, and you can find all sorts of unflattering and even unsavory aspects to each and every one of them.

It's not so much that they split up the five, which is always sad, it really is the way in which it was done.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
point taken, but even published poets have editors.

My main point was that no one in this band is above reproach, and you can find all sorts of unflattering and even unsavory aspects to each and every one of them.

It's not so much that they split up the five, which is always sad, it really is the way in which it was done.
I agree, however this is how it is and I'm afraid we have to make a lemonade with it.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Considering the fact that Stevie's voice is her only instrument, it makes sense people would focus primarily on her voice being shot over the others. Lindsey's voice is basically gone too but people get pretty caught up in his bomb guitar playing which is still amazing after all these years.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Considering the fact that Stevie's voice is her only instrument, it makes sense people would focus primarily on her voice being shot over the others. Lindsey's voice is basically gone too but people get pretty caught up in his bomb guitar playing which is still amazing after all these years.

Yes to this. Her role in the band is "the singer". Chris is singer/keyboard player and Lindsey is singer/guitarist.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I don't know what "being shot over the others" means, however I wasn't objecting to bombaysaffires expressing their opinion on Stevie's voice, but merely saying that from a technical point of view she has learned to take care of her voice.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know what "being shot over the others" means, however I wasn't objecting to bombaysaffires expressing their opinion on Stevie's voice, but merely saying that from a technical point of view she has learned to take care of her voice.
Yes, you are right, she has been working for years now to save what voice she's still got.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The full sentence was "people focusing primarily on her voice being shot over the others". Her= Stevie, others= the other singers (Lindsey and Christine) and their voices, because you raised the point that people keep focusing mostly on how Stevie's voice is shot when Lindsey & Christine's are as well.
And my point is that since Stevie is the lead singer and she plays no instruments, it makes total sense people would point out that her voice is shot. Which it is.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
you raised the point that people keep focusing mostly on how Stevie's voice is shot when Lindsey & Christine's are as well.
I didn't say anywhere that "people keep focusing on how Stevie's voice is shot when Lindsey & Christine's are as well"; Bombaysaffires said Stevie didn't take care of voice, I responded that to be fair she's been doing it for a pretty long time, I don't remember well when she started but it's surely more than 20 years now, it was a conversation between the two of us and they seem to have understood my point.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn't say anywhere that "people keep focusing on how Stevie's voice is shot when Lindsey & Christine's are as well"; Bombaysaffires said Stevie didn't take care of voice, I responded that to be fair she's been doing it for a pretty long time, I don't remember well when she started but it's surely more than 20 years now, it was a conversation between the two of us and they seem to have understood my point.
Yeah you did. Bombaysaffires was talking about how Stevie messed up her voice and you replied saying that to be fair, that's true of all three singers. And so I commented saying that because Stevie is the lead singer, she has no instrument other than voice, it makes perfect sense that people will focus primarily on HER voice.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah you did. Bombaysaffires was talking about how Stevie messed up her voice and you replied saying that to be fair, that's true of all three singers. And so I commented saying that because Stevie is the lead singer, she has no instrument other than voice, it makes perfect sense that people will focus primarily on HER voice.
Yes, exactly, they all have lost part of their voice but she's been working on her "instrument" as you call it already for quite long time.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 04-27-2018 at 05:07 PM..