The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Double Album

I would love to see a double album with Christine back. If Stevie contributes 6-7 songs they could have 18-21 tracks.

7 Buckingham
7 McVie
7 Nicks

Would love to see Nicks and McVie collaborate on something as well. Perhaps even another Chain tune with all 5 doing a jam session. Only 365 days to go before it's released!!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

21 songs was a double record, but it might be a single CD, right, depending on the length of the songs? So a double CD is a great idea, but I'm hoping for more like 10 songs each. Here's to dreaming.

Kevin
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Junior Ledgie

A double album would be sweet! "Say You Will" should've been a double - in a perfect world where the record industry is still alive, of course - but now with the three of them: it's time! Besides, the Eagles did really well with that double album they'd released for Wal-Mart those few years back. A pretty good album too!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
21 songs was a double record, but it might be a single CD, right, depending on the length of the songs? So a double CD is a great idea, but I'm hoping for more like 10 songs each. Here's to dreaming.

Kevin
Depends on the length of songs. But yeah I'll take it.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Kevin
I doubt they would fit 21 songs on cd. Tusk has 20 that fits onto one cd but Lindsey wrote a bunch of really short songs. Christine's were kinda short too. They're not writing stuff like that now. 21 would definitely be a double album.

For example, if we cap it at 80 minutes...and they would never go all the way to 80 minutes on one disc....they would need to average 3 minutes and 48 seconds. Say You Will averaged 4 minutes and 13 seconds. That's a 25 second per song gap. And for good measure Christine averaged pretty much exactly the same song length on In the Meantime as Say You Will. If they averaged the same length for 21 songs it would be around 89 minutes. Which is a good length for a double album. Not too long.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 05-22-2014 at 12:31 PM..
Old 05-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

18-19 songs would be the sweet spot if we're going for a big, epic album... in essence a modern day Tusk or Say You Will. However, I think 2 discs would simply be too much. Especially considering the world has pretty much left CDs in the rear view mirror anyway. Nobody will want to fool with having to switch CDs when they barely want to use CDs in the first place. Much less the price point of a 2 CD album would be exorbitant. The only way you get more than a token handfull of people to actually pay for albums these days is to keep the price down for the consumer. I have no illusions that a new Mac album would even go Gold, but released a double CD would absolutely kill the album in it's tracks.

Band politics & turmoil aside, another reason I discount a double CD this time around is the nature of material they're recording. Tusk & Say You Will worked as big albums because they contained a fair amount of sonic experimentation & friction between the songwriting styles. There was a juxtaposition thing going on. From everything we've read & heard, Lindsey's material this time around is very safe and pop sounding. Christine has always stayed thoroughly in the pop realm, too. And Stevie's songs only tend to stray from that when Lindsey is feeling adventurous & pushes her. It doesn't sound like that's going to be the case this time. A really big album has to have contasts to work- peaks & valleys, manic & depressive, stark differentiation between songwriters & styles, etc. So would 2 discs containing 20+ songs full of essentially safe pop music just drone on & on?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Kevin

bloody hell. it would be MacMas
i think you're dreaming
but that would be pretty sweet
i will be happy with 6 songs each ... or 9
Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm against a double-cd album. They should aim for 20 songs--and the album should be the same length as Tusk. Lindsey needs to cut his stuff down--and let Stevie go wild(at heart) on 5 tracks.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
18-19 songs would be the sweet spot if we're going for a big, epic album... in essence a modern day Tusk or Say You Will. However, I think 2 discs would simply be too much. Especially considering the world has pretty much left CDs in the rear view mirror anyway. Nobody will want to fool with having to switch CDs when they barely want to use CDs in the first place. Much less the price point of a 2 CD album would be exorbitant. The only way you get more than a token handfull of people to actually pay for albums these days is to keep the price down for the consumer. I have no illusions that a new Mac album would even go Gold, but released a double CD would absolutely kill the album in it's tracks.

Band politics & turmoil aside, another reason I discount a double CD this time around is the nature of material they're recording. Tusk & Say You Will worked as big albums because they contained a fair amount of sonic experimentation & friction between the songwriting styles. There was a juxtaposition thing going on. From everything we've read & heard, Lindsey's material this time around is very safe and pop sounding. Christine has always stayed thoroughly in the pop realm, too. And Stevie's songs only tend to stray from that when Lindsey is feeling adventurous & pushes her. It doesn't sound like that's going to be the case this time. A really big album has to have contasts to work- peaks & valleys, manic & depressive, stark differentiation between songwriters & styles, etc. So would 2 discs containing 20+ songs full of essentially safe pop music just drone on & on?
They have a better chance going platinum because old fans will buy a double. New fans may not.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unfortunately for us a double album just doesn't make sense. The amount of music you can fit on a CD really has nearly killed that aspect of production.

With that said, partner albums released 12 months apart (recorded largely together) should be our goal/hope.

Two albums of about 15-18 songs each would be a dream. I'm guessing against this outcome or there would've been a push to get one out before the tour, then let the other one drop after the tour. I'm guessing a 18-21 type of single CD. (Say You Will but with 3 writers)
Old 05-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What I envision:

A packed single album CD

A deluxe version CD with a DVD

A double disc vinyl version of the CD

Downloads of bonus alternate/non-album tracks and live performances

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-23-2014 at 10:47 AM..
Old 05-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_RedRover View Post
A double album would be sweet! "Say You Will" should've been a double - in a perfect world where the record industry is still alive, of course - but now with the three of them: it's time! Besides, the Eagles did really well with that double album they'd released for Wal-Mart those few years back. A pretty good album too!
Long Road Out of Eden, btw, was 20 songs and 90 minutes long. Spread out over 2 discs. I think FM could do something like that.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
What I envision:

A packed single album CD

This would be my dream.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I would love to see a double album with Christine back. If Stevie contributes 6-7 songs they could have 18-21 tracks.

7 Buckingham
7 McVie
7 Nicks

Would love to see Nicks and McVie collaborate on something as well. Perhaps even another Chain tune with all 5 doing a jam session. Only 365 days to go before it's released!!

You understand this band mate!

Stevie mentions "her" 24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault album tentatively at a Red Carpet event...has a Freudian slip of the tongue.

We find out that Oops maybe she is giving 24 songs to Fleetwood Mac. Oops. She did it again. She will be in when Lindsey and Chris are done. Oops. She did it again. She will be in when they have laid down all the music and the chords. She will just sing. She will get looked after and be pampered, because they love her.

She her whole life has tried to teach people her musical skills, her singing and always failed. Lindsey and Chris can do this: Christine especially you can tell from when she did the In the Meantime album with her nephew Dan.

She teaches, Christine can teach music. She knows how to play. She has done it for forty years, since she was barely 21.

Stevie started later with her big break on the White Album coming in 1976. She...excuse the ramblings of a crazy Ledgie.....she just wants people to appreciate her.

The band she is in doesn't want her there in studio, because she is not a musician, according to Lindsey: they are a band of "3 musicians and a great singer" -> now 4 musicians and a great singer.

She is a musician and she deserves that recognition and Lindsey should swallow his selfish pride and give her a call - oh wait - come on guys.....he would have already done that. Let's not be stupid Ledgies for once.

There will be a 2015 Fleetwood Mac studio release
Maybe it will be called 24 Karat Gold: Songs from the Vault and also contain some Christine Perfect Album Tracks like I'm Too Far Gone (update).

Who knows?

Who knows?

I know we all know we always did.
Edited to add (ETA):
This is like the making of Tango in the Night all over again, just a little more mature and adult. Without drugs too I hope! Jokes
John McVie has cancer and is still recovering, this we should not forget. Somehow I think if he is important enough to the band to cancel the Australian/NZ 2013 Tour, he is most certainly important enough to cancel a World Tour before it begins. This would mean refunds for all, but could put the promoters out of business. Let's not forget about John. It's always the quiet ones who suffer the most. He was out of control for a long time. Now he's quite possibly still ill and doesn't know it. Who knows that? Only John and the people close to him.

Last edited by secret love; 05-23-2014 at 11:30 AM..
Old 05-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
What I envision:

A packed single album CD

What I envision is this:

Fleetwood Mac's 24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault
Single Disc CD - 24 songs (Your standard CD can hold 700 MB: more songs fit if the files are compressed into mp4. A .WAV/FLAC file would be best. So perhaps a single disc is unrealistic with Stevie's long songs: 700 MB is about 80 minutes.
So scratch that suggestion).

Double Disc CD set - 24 songs (similar to The Eagles' Long Road Out of Eden double album)
Vinyl record - Double album (2 discs)
Single Disc DVD: Live in Minneapolis, MN with the Beautiful People.

(I would say Dream catchers but I don't know)

Last edited by secret love; 05-23-2014 at 11:37 AM..