User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
OK, does ANYBODY besides me like "Welcome To The Room... Sara" and "When I See You Again"???? I mean, really, really love those songs? I loved both from the first time I heard them. I really think I'm the only one on the planet! By the time the second chorus comes around in "Welcome..." (the one where she sings "Sara" twice), tears are welling up in my eyes. Same thing with the "will your very best friend... ooo have been replaced by some other" line in "When".
You know I like the songs, I don't think they are among her classics, but they are alright. To me her songs on Tango (with the exception of "Seven Wonders") sounded like rejects from "Rock A Little". At that point Stevie's stuggles with drugs and rehab had become known and the songs have that druggy haze/tired feel to them. You could tell that thing were about to change.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Supporting Ledgie

When I see you again is more listenable, to me, than Welcome to the Room. I don't particularly like both of those songs... but I don't hate them, either.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
Well...hope I can still comment here even 'if' I'm not giving any love to Tango.....sorry, this LP/cd just doesn't do it for me at all. From the cover to most of the songs. Not that I don't mind some of them. I guess its just all the techno stuff....plus Stevie's lack of full involvement or in the way she couldn't for all that she was going through at the time. Or how the band wouldn't allow her the opportunity etc. Its not there for me same way that RAL/ isn't there for me in Stevie's solo stuff. I do like some songs : Mystified/Caroline/Tango In The Night/Welcome To The Room...Sara/ ....I don't care for all the extended versions except maybe the Little Lies with Stevie's ending lines put in. It's just too much techno involved & personally I like more lyrics than music.....I think the song gets 'lost' sometimes when its so long...but that's only IMO.....no offence. I'd say yes its cohesive in one way & not in another. Its more a Lindsey & Christine LP than a full band lp even thought yes Stevie is present.....but it doesn't sound like she was welcomed which is sad....would it have been that way if say it had been Lindsey/Christine/John/Mick??(getting treatment that is?)... I wonder.....Not that I'm making excuses for Stevie.....she did have problems but at least she was getting the help she needed than.....To me they ...the 'band' should've aloud her to re-record 7Wonders with the correct lyrics....personally...I like the outtake of When I See You Again with Lindsey at the end. I think its better....but what do I know I'm only a fan......anyway, hope you don't mind my opinion even though its no 'love' for Tango.....but we all like what we like & its ok...it's all good.....I don't hate it but I just don't love it.....heck I haven't listend to it in sometime now or Mask either......Tusk is probably my favorite of the Mac LP's/cds.......like I said it's all good............
I was only joking with the "for those who don't... read the thread title".
Well, here's a little hate coming from me about TITN... well, that's completely wrong, actually... anyway, I hate the extended singles! They are definitely over-synthesized, and destroy the beauty of the normal-length songs! To be honest, I'm amazed that it was FM that performed and released them! Did they need extra cash or something?
Another bit of frustration - some of the B-side singles still haven't been released together with the rest of the album! Honestly, how hard could it be for FM to do that?! If they're that lazy, I'd let them get away with not remastering the album, but they could at least give us the B-sides!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 12-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
When I see you again is more listenable, to me, than Welcome to the Room. I don't particularly like both of those songs... but I don't hate them, either.
I like the former but not the latter.

If you take away the lead vocal on the former (which is what most people apparently dislike), you are left with a beautifully delicate instrumental track, something every bit as heart-on-the-sleeve as "Songbird" or "Crystal."

If you take away the lead vocal on the latter, you are still left with a dud.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
Well, here's a little hate coming from me about TITN... well, that's completely wrong, actually... anyway, I hate the extended singles! They are definitely over-synthesized, and destroy the beauty of the normal-length songs! To be honest, I'm amazed that it was FM that performed and released them!
It wasn't really Fleetwood Mac responsible for those. They were toyed with by engineers & producers like Jellybelly Benitez specifically to be thumpy dance tracks. That's why they're called remixes.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It wasn't really Fleetwood Mac responsible for those. They were toyed with by engineers & producers like Jellybelly Benitez specifically to be thumpy dance tracks. That's why they're called remixes.
Oh, good! I'm glad FM isn't responsible!
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Registered

When I See You Again is one of my favorite FM tracks.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Supporting Ledgie

It's def not one of my faves, Liam, but I don't hate it. That ending part with Lindsey singing and playing the guitar is choice.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I never had any problem with Welcome to the Room Sara... or any song off the album that I can think of.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
OK, does ANYBODY besides me like "Welcome To The Room... Sara" and "When I See You Again"???? I mean, really, really love those songs? I loved both from the first time I heard them. I really think I'm the only one on the planet! By the time the second chorus comes around in "Welcome..." (the one where she sings "Sara" twice), tears are welling up in my eyes. Same thing with the "will your very best friend... ooo have been replaced by some other" line in "When".
Look back at post #7 on this thread, where I relayed my feelings on Stevie's songs on Tango, most notably When I See You Again. I really do like these songs. I think they're some of the most lyrically honest of her career. I think Stevie was pretty gutsy to lay it out there that she was forcibly committed into rehab, and to talk about the depths of her despair in both songs. Neither song may be as lovely to listen to as perhaps Dreams, but they sure as HELL have a of a lot more depth to them.

And I truly mean it when I say When I See You Again is as artistically adventurous and avant garde than any of Lindsey's Tusk tunes. Mainly, because it's so effective at conveying the depths Stevie had sunk to when she wrote and recorded that song. I truly do think it's one of the most artistically successful songs the band has recorded for that reason. It may not be the prettiest, but I am SO glad we have it as a snapshot in time.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Look back at post #7 on this thread, where I relayed my feelings on Stevie's songs on Tango, most notably When I See You Again. I really do like these songs. I think they're some of the most lyrically honest of her career. I think Stevie was pretty gutsy to lay it out there that she was forcibly committed into rehab, and to talk about the depths of her despair in both songs. Neither song may be as lovely to listen to as perhaps Dreams, but they sure as HELL have a of a lot more depth to them.

And I truly mean it when I say When I See You Again is as artistically adventurous and avant garde than any of Lindsey's Tusk tunes. Mainly, because it's so effective at conveying the depths Stevie had sunk to when she wrote and recorded that song. I truly do think it's one of the most artistically successful songs the band has recorded for that reason. It may not be the prettiest, but I am SO glad we have it as a snapshot in time.
What he said.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
The fallacy that raw emotion equals art. I can stand on a street corner & scream with frustration & rage, but that's not artistic achievement. Art consists in formalizing experience, giving it structure.

Quote:
And I truly mean it when I say When I See You Again is as artistically adventurous and avant garde than any of Lindsey's Tusk tunes.
You may mean it, but it's a daft notion.

Quote:
I truly do think it's one of the most artistically successful songs the band has recorded for that reason. It may not be the prettiest, but I am SO glad we have it as a snapshot in time.
It's a beautiful song, aching & forlorn & delicate. It gives me chills, sort of. The guitar outro is so simple, so straightforward, but it's perfect. Ahhh.... it's like Buckingham Nicks rising from the grave, 15 years later.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The fallacy that raw emotion equals art. I can stand on a street corner & scream with frustration & rage, but that's not artistic achievement. Art consists in formalizing experience, giving it structure.
But I think that being able to capture and document raw emotion for posterity is art. If you can encapsulize feeling in music, in words, in a snapshot (like that V-J Day kiss scene where the sailor kissed the nurse), if you've done it in a way that speaks to others who recognize that feeling, then I think you've created art.

Michele
Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
Well...hope I can still comment here even 'if' I'm not giving any love to Tango.....sorry, this LP/cd just doesn't do it for me at all. From the cover to most of the songs. Not that I don't mind some of them. I guess its just all the techno stuff....plus Stevie's lack of full involvement or in the way she couldn't for all that she was going through at the time. Or how the band wouldn't allow her the opportunity etc. Its not there for me same way that RAL/ isn't there for me in Stevie's solo stuff. I do like some songs : Mystified/Caroline/Tango In The Night/Welcome To The Room...Sara/ ....I don't care for all the extended versions except maybe the Little Lies with Stevie's ending lines put in. It's just too much techno involved & personally I like more lyrics than music.....I think the song gets 'lost' sometimes when its so long...but that's only IMO.....no offence. I'd say yes its cohesive in one way & not in another. Its more a Lindsey & Christine LP than a full band lp even thought yes Stevie is present.....but it doesn't sound like she was welcomed which is sad....would it have been that way if say it had been Lindsey/Christine/John/Mick??(getting treatment that is?)... I wonder.....Not that I'm making excuses for Stevie.....she did have problems but at least she was getting the help she needed than.....To me they ...the 'band' should've aloud her to re-record 7Wonders with the correct lyrics....personally...I like the outtake of When I See You Again with Lindsey at the end. I think its better....but what do I know I'm only a fan......anyway, hope you don't mind my opinion even though its no 'love' for Tango.....but we all like what we like & its ok...it's all good.....I don't hate it but I just don't love it.....heck I haven't listend to it in sometime now or Mask either......Tusk is probably my favorite of the Mac LP's/cds.......like I said it's all good............
...................wow!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I recall being very happy when Tango in the Night was released. The album cover was so tropical and mysterious, and the music production was fitting and contemporary for its time. It put Fleetwood Mac back on the map in a big way.

'Welcome to the Room Sara' was (and still is) my favorite Stevie song from the album. In hindsight -- now knowing it was written about her Betty Ford stint -- the title and lyrics have more clarity to them.

'Big Love' was such a departure soundwise, but I grew to love it. I agree that 'You and I, part 1' would have been a better choice than version 2. Christine's songs, as usual, were all solid.

I really liked 'Seven Wonders' at the time. But since then, it has bothered me because it could have been much better. The verses are very clunky and could have been written better, and her delivery is a tad shrill. "When I See You Again' screams "B-side!" The inclusion of 'Joan of Arc,' if further developed, would have been a vast improvement. (Although, the repetitive "Turn it to wall" vocal lines might have ventured too close to the "What's the matter baby, baby, baby" vocal lines of 'When I See You Again.")

I wish they would re-release this (along with Mirage) with the same treatment of Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Tusk, with all the b-sides:

You and I, part 1
Book of Miracles (what would have been 'Juliet'!)
Down Endless Street
Others? Perhaps the extended remixes, though I don't think the band members had any involvement with those.

P.S. I wish Lindsey would perform 'Tango in the Night,' and 'Big Love' with a full band (the acoustic version, although amazing, is getting really tired).

Last edited by PenguinHead; 12-31-2009 at 12:08 AM..