User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I'm surprised they didn't say Keith Urban picked it.

Michele
My perspective of Keith Urban has entirely turned around. Not very interested in him or his music, I dismissed him as a light weight country rocker, overshadowed by his movie star wife.

But getting to know him from watching the show, he seems so genuine and down-to-earth, absent of any rock star ego. He's the kind of guy you could easily hang out with. He'd be good company. The bonus is that he's clearly a fan of Lindsey/Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-23-2014 at 10:34 AM..
Old 05-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
But getting to know him from watching the show, he seems so genuine and down-to-earth, absent of any rock star ego. He's the kind of guy you could easily hang out with. He'd be good company. The bonus is that he's clearly a fan of Lindsey/Fleetwood Mac.
Agreed.

Much to my surprise, I found myself feeling very similar about Nikki Minaj when she was a judge in Season 12. She was very genuine, interested in the contestants and their singing, and offered observant criticisms and advice. Mariah Carey on the other hand was worthless, and clearly there to show off her wardrobe.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 05-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default They went they're way ...

Not a bad recovery after HC Jr butchered the opening vocals.

Too bad Keith didn't use a Turner.

Good energy.

Can't wait for the real thing again.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How come J-Lo didn't sing live at all? I didn't buy her vocals for her solo performance or with the other judges. Kind of funny when she's the one judging a live singing competition.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Hollywood Reporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ido...reveals-706720

'American Idol': Rickey Minor Reveals Secrets of Judges' Fleetwood Mac Jam

8:25 PM PDT 5/22/2014 by Michele Amabile Angermiller

But what happens when the judges have to come up with a song choice for themselves?

“It’s hard to get four leaders of four countries together to agree on something, so that’s why I come in as a neutralizer,” said American Idol band leader Rickey Minor, the mastermind behind the judge jam on Wednesday night’s Idol finale.

Early in the season, Minor was asked by producers to come up with a song for Keith Urban, Jennifer Lopez, Harry Connick Jr., and Randy Jackson to perform on the finale, and for him the choice was clear: Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way.”

“That song came to mind, right away, because they can play, sing, it’s a three part harmony and the message is you can go your own way,” he said.

Of course, the judges had their own ideas, and came up with “random songs and medleys of other songs” to perform, but eventually they came along to Minor’s way of thinking.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My perspective of Keith Urban has entirely turned around. Not very interested in him or his music, I dismissed him as a light weight country rocker, overshadowed by his movie star wife.

Agreed. He's also a HUGE fan of Stevie. Many moons ago, the day after Fleetwood Mac performed here in Nashville for 2003's "Say You Will" tour, Keith Urban came into Tower Records (where I worked at the time) wearing the same exact red Fleetwood Mac SYW tour shirt that I had bought at the concert the night before and was also wearing that day. We looked at each other and immediately started talking about how great the show was and bonded over Stevie Nicks for about 20 minutes. He then asked to be let in to our bathrooms (we had coded locks for our restrooms) and I walked back to my post. One of my co-workers asked me what he was like. I said, "What is who like?" She said, "Keith Urban, silly!" Bewildered, I asked, "Who is Keith Urban?"

I was never a country music fan and had no idea who he was. But he couldn't have been a nicer person. Up until Tower closed in 2006, he was one of our regulars and always wanted to talk about Fleetwood Mac.

I'm also willing to bet he LOVED playing that song! It's right up his alley!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
How come J-Lo didn't sing live at all? I didn't buy her vocals for her solo performance or with the other judges. Kind of funny when she's the one judging a live singing competition.
Overall I like Jennifer..but she just does not have a great voice..it is very thin..She would probably not have even made it to Hollywood on AI had she been a contestant.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I'm surprised they didn't say Keith Urban picked it.

Michele
right? considering Lindsey and Knopfler are usually listed in his bio as his main guitar influences... plus there's this old interview (and of course Lindsey introduces him as "my good friend" these days) -

http://www.vintageguitar.com/3452/keith-urban/
Who were some of your other guitar influences?
Besides Knopfler and Ricky Skaggs, it was Fleetwood Mac. I’m a huge fan of Lindsey Buckingham. He was an enormous influence on my playing. I saw him play the other night, and was reminded how much of an influence he was.

i never watched Idol much before, but i did see it several times this season, and enjoyed the banter between Urban and HC Jr. i was surprised how badly HC Jr sang the beginning of GYOW, guess that song just doesn't work for every voice (especially considering he seems to be usually referred to as enormously talented and having a perfect pitch). and Urban just seems to unabashedly love and enjoy music - so many times you could see him happily singing along with contestants. it was refreshing.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Agreed.

Much to my surprise, I found myself feeling very similar about Nikki Minaj when she was a judge in Season 12. She was very genuine, interested in the contestants and their singing, and offered observant criticisms and advice. Mariah Carey on the other hand was worthless, and clearly there to show off her wardrobe.
Yes, to a certain extent Nikki Minaj grew on me over time. I found her very entertaining. She's very smart and quick-witted. Yet unlike Keith, who seems very balanced and controlled, Nikki a different animal, unpredicatable and agressive to the point where you would not want to argue with her for fear that she would launch a vicious verbal attack, possibly preceded by a physical attack.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-24-2014 at 12:24 AM..
Old 05-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Overall I like Jennifer..but she just does not have a great voice..it is very thin..She would probably not have even made it to Hollywood on AI had she been a contestant.
Well, most of her talent resides in her entertaining dancing performances. She is a show girl, not a singer. She did succeed in giving the illusion of singing live. I watched closely and was almost convinced it was live. But I sensed there was some kind of manipulation; the sound of her voice had a slight strange tone that didn't seem real. It's quite amazing how technology can manufacture a reality that doesn't really exsist.

When watching her, I was carefully looking for a small slip up -- a split second where her mouth didn't match the sound, but it was seamless.

I understand why Stevie, whenever possible, avoids lip-syncing. She knows she's not good at it, and is more comfortable singing live, because she's a singer, not a dancer.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-24-2014 at 01:12 AM..
Old 05-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What you heard of J Lo on that broadcast had little if any resemblance to what she actually did live. I got a text the night of rehearsal on my phone of the vocal that came across on her mic. Not only has it been pitch corrected and processed within an inch of it's life - the broadcast vocal sounds like it was blended with a different person. That bitch cannot sing. Cannot. Sing.

She is Milli Vanilli. I have worked on shows before that she "sang" on. She has no voice. She is a model who kind of "sings." She is not a singer. Never has been. Never will be. Period. It is all fake.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I understand why Stevie, whenever possible, avoids lip-syncing. She knows she's not good at it, and is more comfortable singing live, because she's a singer, not a dancer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
She is Milli Vanilli. I have worked on shows before that she "sang" on. She has no voice. She is a model who kind of "sings." She is not a singer. Never has been. Never will be. Period. It is all fake.
When JLo and Stevie were both on Ellen in 2011, I thought it was odd to have two musical guests on the same episode. But what was more odd was that Stevie, with pneumonia, still performed her song live while a perfectly healthy JLo just showed the video of her new single. Somewhat telling I suppose.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

JLo's HOT!

Thought it was interesting and good. I think it's very safe to say that FM has left its' mark. Their legacy is untouchable. Their songs are being covered by so many different artists. I would believe that has to be one of the most rewarding accomplishments of any artist.