Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
OUCH!
Not sure if this was posted but this guy from the LA Times felt betrayed by the Mac's performance.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...717-story.html

I can’t say I wasn’t warned.
In a recent interview with Lindsey Buckingham, I asked the Fleetwood Mac frontman about turning his attention from his and Christine McVie’s new duets album to Fleetwood Mac’s participation in Classic West.
First he cringed, as though the mere mention of the two-day festival — which brought Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles, among other veteran rock acts, to Dodger Stadium over the weekend — had embarrassed him. Then he explained that the explicitly nostalgic event wasn’t exactly his dream gig, but that he’d agreed to do it in deference to his manager, Irving Azoff, who put the Classic West together.
Buckingham’s mantra for the show? “Just close your eyes and take the money.”

Having seen Sunday’s miserable excuse for a concert, I wish I’d been closing my eyes.
It’s not that I object to (or was scandalized by) Buckingham’s avowed desire to be paid. Pop music is fundamentally a commercial enterprise; money plays no less a role than a strong beat in making the whole thing go.
So of course Classic West was a paycheck, one almost certainly inspired by the enormous success of last year’s Desert Trip festival in Indio, which made an estimated $160 million with a boomer-attuned bill that included the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney. (On Sunday, Fleetwood Mac was preceded by Journey and Earth Wind & Fire, both as competent as they were unremarkable.)
But great pop makes you forget about the profit motive; it finds ways to put across real emotion or drama or excitement — something, anyway, that feels like those things — while doing its dirty work behind your back.

And that’s a trick Fleetwood Mac knows better than just about any other band in rock history.
Take the group’s celebrated “Rumours” album, which we’re constantly reminded has sold approximately 1 zillion copies since it came out in 1977. At another point in our conversation, Buckingham said the album’s vaunted sales numbers have been so widely discussed that they’ve actually overwhelmed the music itself.
But it’s not true.
Put on “Dreams” now, 40 years later, and your mind isn’t filled with thoughts of Mick Fleetwood’s ample retirement fund. You think about thunder and players and the sound of your loneliness like a heartbeat.
It’s not just these musicians’ old stuff, either. Buckingham and McVie’s record is a low-key delight, with loads of crafty melodies and inventive production touches that demonstrate how clearly they’ve influenced hip young bands such as Haim and Phoenix.
Stevie Nicks put out two solid solo albums in the last few years. And before Saturday I’d have said Fleetwood Mac was sounding as vital on the road — especially since McVie rejoined in 2014 — as the group ever had.
At Dodger Stadium, though, I thought a lot about that ample retirement fund.
For the record, the band did not play well. “Little Lies,” one of Fleetwood Mac’s most luscious hits, was comically ragged, while “Gypsy” moved so sluggishly that you felt like you were hearing the band’s batteries die in real time.
But the true bummer was how unengaged the members were in the music — how little pleasure (or pain) they seemed to be taking in the job at hand. There was no humor or charm, nor any evidence of the group’s mythically complicated chemistry; song after song in the two-hour set simply rolled by as though they were marking items off a grocery list.
“What album is it from?” McVie asked, a cartoon of rock-star distraction, before “Think About Me.” Elsewhere, Nicks, looking like she regretted skipping her disco nap, dedicated “Landslide” to Glenn Frey’s son, Deacon, who’d filled in for his late father the night before with the Eagles.
At least Nicks’ tribute took the show off the script it otherwise clung to tightly.
Look, I get it, bands use set lists; they’re practically required by big productions with lights and video. But Sunday’s show was a step-by-step replica (minus the energy and charisma) of other gigs I’ve seen Fleetwood Mac play in recent years — a real disappointment given the potential for something special here.
For instance? “Tusk.”
In the late ’70s Buckingham famously recorded that song at Dodger Stadium with help from the USC marching band.
How hard would it have been to arrange for some drummers and horn players to bring that moment back to life in the very same place? Imagine the smiles and goose bumps the band would’ve given to the tens of thousands of fans who’ve kept Fleetwood Mac afloat for decades.
Maybe those folks were the problem though.
As Buckingham’s queasy feelings about Classic West suggested, the singer and guitarist appears more interested these days in cultivating a new audience than with servicing the lifers.
Which is a valuable impulse. But that meant that this concert, with its graying demographic, resembled an obligation on the band’s part — a chore not worth putting too much effort into.
And that’s not only a cynical position, it’s a poorly informed one. In their excellent performance on Saturday, the Eagles showed that it’s possible to refresh a vintage sound while maintaining a cherished legacy.
Twenty-four hours later, the members of Fleetwood Mac made me feel like a sucker for caring about theirs.
As much as it breaks my heart, I think there is a lot of truth here. As a devoted fan who remembers bringing home the Rumours album and investing, (happily), in this band for decades, I can't help but feel the same way Lindsey does about the "Classics." I truly admire that he and Christine are on the road with new music. In the videos of the Classic, everything appears very stale and phoned in. I particularly found myself dreading the "crackhead dance," which, to me, is not only uninspired but also not befitting Stevie in its very name and its clunky execution. I have loved--and still love--this band with all my heart, and I understand Lindsey's loyalty to Irving Azoff, but I really wish they hadn't participated in this.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
That's the thing: this is a band that was always famous for their chemistry, good or bad, and the drama sorrounding them at all time. To be on the stage like robots who are doing their job sucks, simply because that's not who they are.

And it wasn't only Stevie and Lindsey. Christine didn't look very happy either. I don't know if the BuckVie tour is the cause of this strange behavior on stage, but a cold concert with no emotion whatsoever isn't exactly who they are. And it makes the concert less pleasurable.

And I certainly sympathize with the reporter. It makes you feel like a sucker for caring about their legacy.
I don't think Fleetwood Mac has really ever been a great stadium band. The Eagles are masters at duplicating the sound of the records; but Fleetwood Mac has always been a different thing on stage - with much more interesting arrangements and more muscle. Also the acoustics at Dodger stadium are AWFUL, and it's the main reason I didn't go. The stage is far away from where they put the first row of fans, and in general it's a lousy place for bands to play and connect with the audience.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Poor Lindsey. He decides to be honest and not just give the "company line", and it gets thrown in his face.

And we wonder why all he does is repeat platitudes in his interviews.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Poor Lindsey. He decides to be honest and not just give the "company line", and it gets thrown in his face.

Yes! It appears the writer is a FM / LB fan and his idealism about the music vs the realism of the business became conflicted and he went into the show with a preconceived bias based on the prior statement Lindsey had provided him. I am sure that quote informed all that his ears heard and eyes saw.

That said this particular review has been reposted 3 times in this short thread even though 5 of the 7 media reviews have been positive, one middle of the road, and this one take down piece.

That said, i had no intrest in seeing these shows because of much of what was written. But let's please not act like that FM is some lone capitalistic sellout in the music business. They gave a professional show, they played 20 hits and played them well. It is just not my cup of tea.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the band received the message loud and clear... Coincidence?

"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I've talked to some people who was there and they told me that Lindsey's performance was the best by far. So, he's not perceived by fans the same way as this writer.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 07-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
I don't think Fleetwood Mac has really ever been a great stadium band. The Eagles are masters at duplicating the sound of the records; but Fleetwood Mac has always been a different thing on stage - with much more interesting arrangements and more muscle. Also the acoustics at Dodger stadium are AWFUL, and it's the main reason I didn't go. The stage is far away from where they put the first row of fans, and in general it's a lousy place for bands to play and connect with the audience.
I have read several comments on the acoustics there. And I also noticed the first row is far, far away from the stage. Pretty much like in my country. But that's because we're beasts with our idols. Too much passion.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
Yes! It appears the writer is a FM / LB fan and his idealism about the music vs the realism of the business became conflicted and he went into the show with a preconceived bias based on the prior statement Lindsey had provided him. I am sure that quote informed all that his ears heard and eyes saw.

That said this particular review has been reposted 3 times in this short thread even though 5 of the 7 media reviews have been positive, one middle of the road, and this one take down piece.

That said, i had no intrest in seeing these shows because of much of what was written. But let's please not act like that FM is some lone capitalistic sellout in the music business. They gave a professional show, they played 20 hits and played them well. It is just not my cup of tea.
i don't know. a hardcore fan would NEVER think that festival cashgrab show would be "for fans" like this guy seems to believe. so that's where he immediately loses me, as well as behaving all personally insluted by LB for telling him exactly what he will get from their festival show, when they actually delievered greatsst hits set that Lindsey told him will be the case. seriously? what was he thinking, that LB was lying to him?

and if this guy has seen FM shows before, how were Gypsy or Little Lies different or so much worse at this show than on the last FM tour? really? i bet they were about the same!

as you so nicely stated in your last paragraph, unless you've never had a chance to see FM live, the fans like you or i, from the US or parts of Europe where FM tour regularly, have little interest or expectations of a diverse setlist from a stadium-held "festival" show that's done for masses who mainly jsut want to be able to say they've been there and they saw FM and they knew all the songs.

and, this part of the review makes this particular reviewer look kinda pathetic - like he's just complaining because he didn't get his dose of expected fake interactions:
Quote:
But the true bummer was how unengaged the members were in the music — how little pleasure (or pain) they seemed to be taking in the job at hand. There was no humor or charm, nor any evidence of the group’s mythically complicated chemistry; song after song in the two-hour set simply rolled by
it's a rock conecrt, dude! get over the melodrana of the past, looks like the band [mostly] has!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

i know right? i had that same thought many times, knowing how way too direct and candid he is when he actually speaks of the cuff!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

I don't know why the LA Times guy or anyone for that matter is surprised by the FM performance. They are not spontaneous and since they didn't really care about this show other than the $$, why would they do something like get a marching band. They aren't going to show chemistry because they don't have any. They stopped being a band in the 80's. The only time they've shown any excitement about being together was a little bit around The Dance and a little bit after Christine rejoined a couple of years ago.

Of course they are going to provide a professional, well-executed performance and nothing more/different.

Buckingham McVie can now go back to enjoying their tour and Stevie can enjoy the last of the awesome 24 Karat tour, Mick Fleetwood can twiddle his fingers waiting to make some more cash during the farewell tour and that's about it.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OUCH!
Not sure if this was posted but this guy from the LA Times felt betrayed by the Mac's performance.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...717-story.html

Stevie Nicks put out two solid solo albums in the last few years...

And before Saturday I’d have said Fleetwood Mac was sounding as vital on the road — especially since McVie rejoined in 2014 — as the group ever had.

I put little credence in this review after reading those few lines.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default watching the videos

as an unapologetic super fan of 'Sara,' that was a pretty great version. seems like everyone was singing well. if this is what the next tour's set is (plus the notable dropped songs) i can be happy with that send-off. i think the separate tours have worked well for these three. just a thought.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I'm missing something here because I saw the video clips of the show and thought the band did very well. I wasn't expecting amazeballs chemistry or a new set list since this show was only the first of a two-off. What's the big deal? From the clips I've seen of the US festival, I'd say the band had a similar mindset going into that as they did with this show. It's business. They did well.

Anyone irate enough to write the article the LA Times writer wrote has no real idea of what the band has become over the last 15 years. Also, I think the writer believed he had a genuine "angle" in using LB's "undiplomatic" comment--which was cajoled out of him--as grist for the mill in reviewing the ensuing concert. I get the sense he went to the concert expecting--even hoping--it would confirm his thesis so he could write what he wrote. The problem is, I don't think he was all that accurate: the band sounded more than reasonably good. And they're all approaching or over 70.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

I was at Dodger Stadium on Sunday night and from what I saw the crowd totally enjoyed the set and the performances. The people around me were not regular FM concertgoers, so they appreciated hearing hits they were familiar with. I've seen the Mac numerous times in L.A. venues, but knew going in that this gig would not veer from what people wanted to hear.

I was thrilled that Sara and Bleed to Love her were performed. I also got really excited when they started into Think About Me, but it was then that their short rehearsal time showed. From the start of that song the timing seemed off and halfway through, the drums came up really loudly in the mix. It was so noticeable that when it ended, the lady next to me said "well that was really random...".

My overall impression is that the band and crew felt really rushed through set-up and performance. FM was scheduled to come on at 8:55pm, but the crew was not yet finished by that time. The band came onstage at 9:04 and had to be off by the 11pm curfew. It was clear that the usual lead-ins and comments were not going to happen, but I actually think the crowd enjoyed the faster pace. For me it seemed less personal, but I totally understood why the speaking parts and certain songs were not included.

The only thing I agree with from the very unreasonable LA Times review is that there could have been an acknowledgement of the role that Dodger Stadium played in the recording of the Tusk single. While they did play the USC band video in the background, I'm sure there were many people there that did not know the important stadium connection. I realize there was not enough rehearsal time available to include a live Trojan band performance, but I think it was a missed opportunity that Lindsey or Mick did not at least mention the Dodger Stadium role before or after the Tusk performance.

I did see the the repeated ads for the August 2nd BuckVie show in L.A. and am looking forward to being there!! I also went to two of Stevie's 24K Gold tour shows which were terrific as well. My attitude about the whole thing is that I'm amazed and thankful that these five people (that I first saw live in 1979) are still performing while veering back and forth from getting along and driving each other crazy. I look forward to whatever is ahead from them!!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
I was at Dodger Stadium on Sunday night and from what I saw the crowd totally enjoyed the set and the performances. The people around me were not regular FM concertgoers, so they appreciated hearing hits they were familiar with. I've seen the Mac numerous times in L.A. venues, but knew going in that this gig would not veer from what people wanted to hear.

I was thrilled that Sara and Bleed to Love her were performed. I also got really excited when they started into Think About Me, but it was then that their short rehearsal time showed. From the start of that song the timing seemed off and halfway through, the drums came up really loudly in the mix. It was so noticeable that when it ended, the lady next to me said "well that was really random...".

My overall impression is that the band and crew felt really rushed through set-up and performance. FM was scheduled to come on at 8:55pm, but the crew was not yet finished by that time. The band came onstage at 9:04 and had to be off by the 11pm curfew. It was clear that the usual lead-ins and comments were not going to happen, but I actually think the crowd enjoyed the faster pace. For me it seemed less personal, but I totally understood why the speaking parts and certain songs were not included.

The only thing I agree with from the very unreasonable LA Times review is that there could have been an acknowledgement of the role that Dodger Stadium played in the recording of the Tusk single. While they did play the USC band video in the background, I'm sure there were many people there that did not know the important stadium connection. I realize there was not enough rehearsal time available to include a live Trojan band performance, but I think it was a missed opportunity that Lindsey or Mick did not at least mention the Dodger Stadium role before or after the Tusk performance.

I did see the the repeated ads for the August 2nd BuckVie show in L.A. and am looking forward to being there!! I also went to two of Stevie's 24K Gold tour shows which were terrific as well. My attitude about the whole thing is that I'm amazed and thankful that these five people (that I first saw live in 1979) are still performing while veering back and forth from getting along and driving each other crazy. I look forward to whatever is ahead from them!!

Thanks for your review, Lisa! I was also told that people took a seat during Bleed to Love her and Think About Me, maybe because those are not popular songs. Too bad the lack of rehearsals was noticeable. Luckily they will have three months of rehearsals for the 2018 tour.

Let's hope they won't be rushed at the Classic East. I didn't know there was a curfew for these kind of events.

I understand these are not concerts designed for hardcore fans and given the circumstances of the crew delay, they had to rush everything. I hope the organisation of the event improves in Citi Field.