Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Back Off, Noel Gallagher

[AV Club article about Gallagher's Esquire Interview. ]

By Annie Zaleski Nov 5, 2015 10:39 AM

http://www.avclub.com/article/read-n...esquire-227986

Noel Gallagher’s never been one to hold anything back, especially when he’s talking to journalists. Turns out, that’s because he’s one of the few musicians who apparently loves doing interviews, as a new Esquire U.K. cover story reveals: “I could do this all day long. It’s sick. … I get to be a gob****e, and I get to do that thing: to be the last of a dying breed.”

From there, the affable curmudgeon (yes, Gallagher pulls that off) is off to the races. He slags off some of his usual suspects (Radiohead, One Direction, modern pop stars/music), while grumbling about the pedigree of Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham (“I can’t remember him setting the world on fire.”), and Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page (“He’s a good guitarist but I’m not sure how many solo albums he’s ****ing made.”) in context of talking about reunited bands that “didn’t have anybody in the lineup as ****ing brilliant as me.” He drops some Yogi Berra-esque science—“I’ve never seen Oasis live but there couldn’t have been that many better than us.”—and, later, added “pop star fragrances” to his hate list: “My fragrance? Oh it’s coming, it’s coming. Toe-Rag it’s going to be called. And the bottle’s going to be a massive toe.”
Old 11-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This is pretty laughable to me since Oasis had exactly 1 top 10 single in the US.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
This is pretty laughable to me since Oasis had exactly 1 top 10 single in the US.
Right, and how many successful solo albums has Noel had?
Old 11-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not defending him but a lot of what he says is tongue in cheek.
Oasis' music was fantastic and Noel's two solo albums have received very high critical acclaim (both #1 in the UK).

Not sure why he has a bee in his bonnet about Lindsey but I know he's a big, big Greeny fan.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh no, I love Noel! His two solo albums are very good, although I'm not surprised they didn't do anything here in the States. I'm hoping it was tongue in cheek about LB. I find it odd that he's ripping on other guitarists. I'd never consider him one of the "greats."
Old 11-06-2015, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe I'm just thinking that the rooms are on fire, every time he walks in the room.

Michele
Old 11-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Fuller quote and context] Xpose 5th Nov 15 | Entertainment News

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/ente...modern-disease

Noel Gallagher sees band reunions as a ''modern disease'' and won't be succumbing to the demand to reform Oasis because he's ''got the next five years planned out. ''

The former Oasis rocker is sick of being asked if the band will ever reunite and doesn't understand why people are so obsessed with groups getting back together, because he doesn't rate acts such as Fleetwood Mac or Led Zeppelin who have done so.

He said: ''I was being asked about a reunion five weeks after I left the band. It's a modern phenomenon. It's a modern disease. All the bands that get back together, all those ones you've mentioned [Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin] they didn't have anybody in the line-up as f**king brilliant as me. What's the guitarist out of Fleetwood Mac called? Lindsey Buckingham. I can't remember him setting the world on fire. Jimmy Page? That's debatable. He's a good guitarist but I'm not sure how many solo albums he's f**king made.''

The 'Wonderwall' hitmaker, 48, went on to once again shut down speculation of the band getting back together because he doesn't think they'd ever be able to have the same success as they did the first time around.

He explained: ''If Oasis were ever to come back we couldn't be any bigger than we'd already been. There's no kudos in us selling out three nights at Wembley because we've already f**king done seven. ''

And he reckons if he ever did come around to the idea, his estranged brother and former bandmate Liam, 43, would object to the plans.

He told Esquire magazine: ''Ten years from now, if I wake up one morning and go, 'You know what? I think I'm going to do it,' I can guarantee you, just for spite, Liam would say, 'Oh, no, I'm not keen.' Because that's the way s**t works. I can only tell you I've already got the next five years planned out. So it's not going to happen in the next five years. Who knows what circumstances might be thrown up in the future? But, certainly, it's not even on the horizon. Not even on the horizon.''
Old 11-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I'm hoping it was tongue in cheek about LB. I find it odd that he's ripping on other guitarists.
I feel it was all tongue in cheek. Noel has been known for his silly outbursts in the past but in this case more than likely just trying to get press for his(their) current project. Sarcasm often doesn't come through in a newspaper article.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok guys. Someone from the UK here. This is how the UK views Oasis and the Gallagher's:
Oasis were absolutely HUGE here, especially in the 90's, and it's not really possible for them to have been more so with everything going to #1 and having sales that broke records.
HOWEVER. Though most people, including myself, think that their work and Noel's work is good, they are complete idiots and that is the general UK view of them even though we value their work. The Brits think they are arrogant, rude and just horrible.

So there you have it! And don't forget you American's. Just because someone isn't successful in the US, doesn't mean they don't have a successful career elsewhere. Though I can't stand him myself, Cliff Richard has had immense success and has apparently sold approximately a quarter of a BILLION records worldwide and I'm pretty sure not many of those were sold in the US. Maybe a few million if that.

Also, if Garth Brooks came to the UK hardly anyone would have a clue who he was. I didn't until a few years ago when I saw how much success he had in the US. Robbie Williams is our Garth Brooks. Totally different artists but the former has been hugely successful in the UK and around the world (not the US) and the latter has been hugely successful in the US and around the world (not the UK).

Just thought I'd clear a few things up. Thanks guys!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Ok guys. Someone from the UK here. This is how the UK views Oasis and the Gallagher's:
Oasis were absolutely HUGE here, especially in the 90's, and it's not really possible for them to have been more so with everything going to #1 and having sales that broke records.
HOWEVER. Though most people, including myself, think that their work and Noel's work is good, they are complete idiots and that is the general UK view of them even though we value their work. The Brits think they are arrogant, rude and just horrible.

So there you have it! And don't forget you American's. Just because someone isn't successful in the US, doesn't mean they don't have a successful career elsewhere. Though I can't stand him myself, Cliff Richard has had immense success and has apparently sold approximately a quarter of a BILLION records worldwide and I'm pretty sure not many of those were sold in the US. Maybe a few million if that.

Also, if Garth Brooks came to the UK hardly anyone would have a clue who he was. I didn't until a few years ago when I saw how much success he had in the US. Robbie Williams is our Garth Brooks. Totally different artists but the former has been hugely successful in the UK and around the world (not the US) and the latter has been hugely successful in the US and around the world (not the UK).

btw, not entirely related but- Depeche Mode seem to be an example of a British band that aren't actually all that big in the UK but seem to be pretty massive around the world including the US.

Just thought I'd clear a few things up. Thanks guys!

Hmmm.
I'd always thought of Liam Gallagher as a bit of a knob-head whereas Noel always came across as quite down to Earth. However, I've increasingly heard people say the opposite; that Liam is a lovely guy away from the cameras whereas Noel can be a really arrogant so and so. Outside the US, Oasis were huge. I've always thought they were a bit like the Beatles in that so many of their non-single album tracks were recognizable 'hits'. Noel Gallagher, though competent isnt the greatest of guitarists, by the way.

btw. not entirely related but- Depeche Mode seem to be a British band that aren't really all that big in the UK but are pretty massive around the world, including the US.

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 11-08-2015 at 08:40 AM..
Old 11-29-2015, 12:39 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Hmmm.
I'd always thought of Liam Gallagher as a bit of a knob-head whereas Noel always came across as quite down to Earth. However, I've increasingly heard people say the opposite; that Liam is a lovely guy away from the cameras whereas Noel can be a really arrogant so and so. Outside the US, Oasis were huge. I've always thought they were a bit like the Beatles in that so many of their non-single album tracks were recognizable 'hits'. Noel Gallagher, though competent isnt the greatest of guitarists, by the way.

btw. not entirely related but- Depeche Mode seem to be a British band that aren't really all that big in the UK but are pretty massive around the world, including the US.

Actually, I happened to meet Liam Gallagher at a pharmacy a few years back on the date of an Oasis gig (I think 08 or 09), super nice guy, very down to earth, we chat for a few minutes about his kids and music, even stopped and took a photo with me.

Yes, you can't take what Noel says too seriously, some of the things he says are just downright hillarious (regardless if you like or don't like the people he is speaking about)

“I’m aware that Radiohead have never had a ****ing bad review. I reckon if Thom Yorke ****ing **** into a light bulb and started blowing it like an empty beer bottle it’d probably get 9 out of 10 in ****ing Mojo. I’m aware of that.”

(how do you even come up with something like that?!)
Old 12-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always thought Liam was the complete dickhead of the band, with little artistic input to Oasis, apart from he does a reasonable impression of John Lennon on a bad day..

Noel, on the other hand writes some pretty good stuff and on the songs he takes lead and with his own band "High Flying Birds" his voice is better than his brothers.
Noel says some daft stuff now and again but there's a lot of tongue in cheek...
Old 12-16-2015, 08:44 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseonthehill View Post
Actually, I happened to meet Liam Gallagher at a pharmacy a few years back on the date of an Oasis gig (I think 08 or 09), super nice guy, very down to earth, we chat for a few minutes about his kids and music, even stopped and took a photo with me.

Yes, you can't take what Noel says too seriously, some of the things he says are just downright hillarious (regardless if you like or don't like the people he is speaking about)
I remember reading long ago that even though Liam tries to act the tough guy, he's a real mama's boy in private.

I do like Noel. It seems like he was the writer of their best songs and I even prefer his voice to Liam's. But he would admit that he's not a great guitar player and not a natural frontman.

Lately he's been mouthing off again about Adele ('music for f*ing grannies' even though he's previously said 'At least it's got some kind of credibility.') And guess what? He's currently selling tickets for his shows.

He's a good soundbite. Sometimes I agree with him, not always. A few quotes to show you can't always take him seriously. Sorry for language!

Quote:
On Kanye: "I like him because I think he's very very entertaining. I like his interviews - they're nearly as good as mine."

"I'm not like John Lennon, who thought he was the great Almighty. I just think I'm John Lennon."

"Liam is rude, arrogant, intimidating and lazy. He's the angriest man you'll ever meet. He's like a man with a fork in a world of soup."

"Sure I love Liam. But not as much as I love Pot Noodles."

"We're not arrogant, we just believe we're the best band in the world."

"I was a superhero in the '90s. I said so at the time. McCartney, Weller, Townshend, Richards... my first album's better than all their first albums. Even they'd admit that."

"I'm not interested in making money. It's just that with my talent, I'm cursed with it."

"You can't really write a full album about your missus. She'll start getting the wrong idea and start thinking I like her."

"Jack White has just done a song for Coca-Cola. End of. He ceases to be in the club. And he looks like Zorro on doughnuts."

Finally:

"I'd probably be incarcerated if I was on Twitter. I tend to speak my mind a lot... If it's on my Twitter account I'd end up in f***ing jail."
No kidding Noel!
Old 12-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Liam is rude, arrogant, intimidating and lazy. He's the angriest man you'll ever meet. He's like a man with a fork in a world of soup."

Ha ha. Thats so funny.

Another:
'I read these interviews with him and I don’t know who the guy is who’s in these interviews, he seems really cool, because the guy I’ve been in a band with for the last 18 years is a f**king knobhead'
Old 12-17-2015, 12:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

^^^ Yeh hahaha Liam and Noel are nearly as dramatic as Stevie and Lindsey.

Quote:
"If I lived in America, I would have blown his [Liam] head off by now and completely regretted it. Since I live in England, though, I just give him a black eye or something every now and then. I don't hate him, but f*** me, he p*sses me off sometimes."
Yikes!

Kanye isn't always in his good books.

Quote:
"He needs to look up the f***ing term 'artistry' and then see if it reminds him, in any way, of Beyonce. If shaking your ass for a living is considered art, then she's right up there, no? Can I also point out: Beck can play the banjo. The banjo. That makes him a genius.

Q. Did you ever try to play the banjo?

"I've been known to play the banjo from time to time."

Q. Why does him knowing how to play the banjo make him a genius?

"Because I play the banjo and I'm a genius. If he plays the banjo, he must be a f***ing genius, too. No? That's how it works."

"If [Kanye] had got up at the Brits in the 90s, I'd have knocked him out."
That made me wonder if Lindsey can play the banjo. Seems like he could. Not a surprise really. I think you can still hear it in his style.

Sometimes tension or rivalry in the band can make them better and foster more creativity if it doesn't tear them apart first. You see that of course with Stevie and Lindsey. There was Paul McCartney and John Lennon (with Brian Epstein and Ringo Starr to smooth over their differences). Keith Richards and Mick Jagger etc.

Noel has a way with words when he can stop swearing for ten seconds. Probably a part of his songwriting ability.

Last edited by Missy; 12-17-2015 at 12:35 AM..