The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Is the longer Elizabethtown version of SUD worth 10 bucks?
Yes 10 66.67%
No 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And I think it is one of the best Lindsey songs. So, it tops my movie list too.

I really don't know what to say about Holiday Road. I'm glad he has a song that everyone knows. I love the video, love the exposure for LB, but I don't know what I think of that song. I don't know what I would think of the song if it just appeared on an LB album. It's like Don't Stop. I can't have an independent opinion of it anymore. It's just too poppy and popular.

Michele
I think it's perfectly fine not to have an opinion of that song. It's just one of those songs, like those uber-popular Beatles songs, that transcend independent opinion, imo.

I was visiting my friend's grandfather at his nursing home and they were using the song in one of those step aerobics classes. It was kind of cute, maybe a little disturbing, to see them all singing along (one woman was using arms). My other friend runs a day care and made a playlist of popular songs and HR was a favorite.

I do think it's cute that the song is such a hit with little kids and the elderly, though. Even if neither know who LB is.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 10-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't get the deal with not liking HR or Don't Stop just because they are popular. For me, I love to know that people love Lindsey's songs or Fleetwood Mac songs. Just because they are popular and well-known doesn't make it less appealing for me. I can still appreciate the song for what it is, independent from what it is so often attached to. I can listen to HR and not think of Vacation, I can hear Don't Stop and not have Bill Clinton enter my head (thankfully). just because something is popular doesn't mean I have to automatically not like it. Its just the idea of the whole "everyone else likes it, so I can't like it" thing that bugs me.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustdrummer View Post
I don't get the deal with not liking HR or Don't Stop just because they are popular. For me, I love to know that people love Lindsey's songs or Fleetwood Mac songs. Just because they are popular and well-known doesn't make it less appealing for me. I can still appreciate the song for what it is, independent from what it is so often attached to. I can listen to HR and not think of Vacation, I can hear Don't Stop and not have Bill Clinton enter my head (thankfully). just because something is popular doesn't mean I have to automatically not like it. Its just the idea of the whole "everyone else likes it, so I can't like it" thing that bugs me.
I don't dislike it because everyone else likes it. There are some songs you can hear with virgin ears, even when they're familiar to you. I think GYOW is one of those songs. I think HR is not.

I just hear it too much or -- it just stopped having an impact on my brain. With Don't Stop, it's not just Bill Clinton. By the time I knew who Fleetwood Mac was in 1979, I already knew Don't Stop too well -- and I didn't even know who sang it really.

With Holiday Road, I just never judged it as a song. I was thrilled that Lindsey got exposure in a hit movie. I was insane about the video. I thought the woof, woofs at the end were cute. I thought it was a movie jingle and never judged it as a song. I would like to know what I would have thought about it if it had appeared on a Lindsey album and if that's where I'd heard it for the first time. I never got to form that kind of independent impression of it. He has other movie songs, but they were never as ubiquitous. So, I think of them in their own right. Not as soundtrack fodder.

Frankly, I'm proud that he has a song (other than GYOW) that the world knows. On the other hand, it's too airy to be something that I want everyone else to remember him by.

I can tell you that as his tour went on, I wouldn't have minded seeing HR dropped from the setlist. It was fine the first few times and I know the band and the audience got into the howling fun. I am always happy when Lindsey is being silly -- but I was kind of over HR live.

Michele
Old 10-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I can tell you that as his tour went on, I wouldn't have minded seeing HR dropped from the setlist. It was fine the first few times and I know the band and the audience got into the howling fun. I am always happy when Lindsey is being silly -- but I was kind of over HR live.

Michele
This reminds of the opposite reaction of my friend's husband. When LB played Summerfest a couple of years ago I went off to see him, while my friend and her husband went to the Goo Goo Dolls. As an aside other friends went to see Lifehouse and Sarah Evans, talk about a nightmare trying to find everybody at the end of the night, but I digress. As we were driving home I played Holiday Road from the show on my camera, and my friend's husband's reaction was:"What the hell? Why didn't you tell me he sang that song? I would have gone to see him rather than the Goo Goo Dolls, again." My friend was none too pleased, but I thought it was funny. Lindsey's got to get them in any way he can!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Holiday Road is a great song, though, and I am proud to say it's by Lindsey. He deserves any kind of admiration he can get, even if it's for a simple 2-minute long poppy-style singalong that doesn't go too far in terms of lyrics. Great music is great music, but universally appreciated music is often quite misunderstood- even by me.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the song is sublime -- those oooa-ooooa's!
And rhythmically/thematically it's a masterpiece: "Jack be nimble / Jack be quick"
It's as American as Br'er Rabbit.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Lindsey's got to get them in any way he can!
I agree with that. That's why when we were talking about what albums to get first in that other thread, I was pulling for the most commercially accessible albums as an introduction. Once we lure them into our cult and have them prisoner, we can spriing Law and Order on them later.

Michele
Old 10-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree with that. That's why when we were talking about what albums to get first in that other thread, I was pulling for the most commercially accessible albums as an introduction. Once we lure them into our cult and have them prisoner, we can spriing Law and Order on them later.

Michele
I know, right? That's how it's done here in LB land. However, I did meet this peculiar fellow at an LB concert. Super nice guy. Claimed to me that Law & Order was always his favorite solo album and Under the Skin his least. I was just a little surprised, but pleasantly so (for L&O). It certainly is an album for acquired taste, but there are pure gems on it.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I know, right? That's how it's done here in LB land. However, I did meet this peculiar fellow at an LB concert. Super nice guy. Claimed to me that Law & Order was always his favorite solo album and Under the Skin his least. I was just a little surprised, but pleasantly so (for L&O). It certainly is an album for acquired taste, but there are pure gems on it.
It had always been my favorite. Only recently have I begun to move toward GOS as being greater. I love the SOUND and inventiveness of L&O. But song for song GOS wins. For a cohesive album experience, they're about even.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
It had always been my favorite. Only recently have I begun to move toward GOS as being greater. I love the SOUND and inventiveness of L&O. But song for song GOS wins. For a cohesive album experience, they're about even.
It's so ridiculous to wonder about people's personal preferences anyway, but since it's not the norm to prefer Law & Order over the others I'm curious to know what it is about it that jumps out for you.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Turn Me On: Cory Sipper Written by: Jim Nelson

Rock Cellar Magazine 6/30/2016

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20....K6lYUL7h.dpbs

If the only requisite for scoring hit after hit was to simply write and record a slew of smart, hopelessly hooky songs, then there’d be no need to turn you on to Santa Barbara, California, native Cory Sipper here—you’d have known about her long ago.

Sipper released a trio of albums before the turn of the century, beginning with 1995’s Swimology (which featured Nervous, a Top-10 hit in Japan) and there was a near-miss with a CD she was making with Rumours co-producer Richard Dashut; with several songs in the can he brought Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood into the sessions. Just then her label went belly-up and there went that.

Jump to 2002’s Sincerely and Cory Sipper really hit her mark as Mermaid, Living out Loud, and the title track measured up musically, stylistically, lyrically, and melodically with everything on the adult album alternative radio charts at the time. Now four CDs deep into a 12-year career Sipper had delivered several songs worthy of hanging out with the Melissa Etheridges, Sheryl Crows, Natalie Merchants, and Sarah McLachlans that dominated the pre- and post-Y2K female singer/songwriter landscape. -

For eleven years Cory Sipper turned off the recording career and nested. She baked and sewed and embroidered and gardened, and raised chickens and ducks, and taught yoga, but mostly she vigorously poured herself into motherhood. And she wrote.

“I didn’t write for myself,” she told The Santa Barbara Independent in 2015, “and I didn’t know if I ever would again.” Her songs got used around the world in countless TV shows, films, and commercials, including American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, True Life, and Ridiculousness. And years after their initial meeting, Lindsey Buckingham reworked her early tune After All and renamed it Shut us Down for his 2006 album Under the Skin.

Muses can show up whenever the hell they feel like it, and all that writing for other uses was probably a clue that Sipper’s was lurking, waiting to pounce the instant her daughters were safely away at school. “One day I realized I had to release another album. I felt it swelling up inside me like a big balloon. And I started writing songs like crazy!” So in 2013 she got back to making her music, and in 2015 Make Your Magic became her first CD since 2002.

- See more at: http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20....K6lYUL7h.dpuf

See more at: http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20....K6lYUL7h.dpuf

- See more at: http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20....K6lYUL7h.dpuf
Old 07-02-2016, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I think it's perfectly fine not to have an opinion of that song. It's just one of those songs, like those uber-popular Beatles songs, that transcend independent opinion, imo.

I was visiting my friend's grandfather at his nursing home and they were using the song in one of those step aerobics classes. It was kind of cute, maybe a little disturbing, to see them all singing along (one woman was using arms). My other friend runs a day care and made a playlist of popular songs and HR was a favorite.

I do think it's cute that the song is such a hit with little kids and the elderly, though. Even if neither know who LB is.
Holiday Road is the ringtone I use on my phone for my husband. Our first real date was at Lindsey's show in Vegas in 2007, and it was the only LB song he knew before we started dating.