Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Guesses about Cat House Blues

I am just amazed that this made the cut. If you had told me when I first heard this demo about 35 years ago if this would ever see a real release, I would have thought you were crazy. And yet, here it is. I can't wait to hear it. So I'm wondering if you all think it will sound very much like the demo. Are there more verses? Did she maybe write more? Did they give it the Secret Love treatment and just repeat the verses a little and add a solo? Will it sound as country as the demo does? I would love it if it stayed very short, very country, and very raw, but I'm pretty sure that no matter what they do to it, I'm going to love it. I can NOT wait to hear this and Watch Chain.

Kevin
Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
I can NOT wait to hear this and Watch Chain.

Kevin
Me too. I'm uber curious about how they're both going to turn out. So with these two songs FINALLY getting the "recorded and released" treatment, that means that ALL her demo songs on the Fleetwood Mac "Almanac" bootleg have now seen the light of day, with the exception of "Goldfish & Ladybug". I'm thinking that one is a lost cause at this point.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would tend to agree with you about Goldfish and Ladybug, but I would have said the same thing about Cathouse Blues. Maybe an EP for kids? Maybe a single with an animated short movie? Or maybe someone will write a children's book using Stevie's idea and she'll release the song to go with the book. You never know.

Kevin
Old 08-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would tend to agree with you about Goldfish and Ladybug, but I would have said the same thing about Cathouse Blues. Maybe an EP for kids? Maybe a single with an animated short movie? Or maybe someone will write a children's book using Stevie's idea and she'll release the song to go with the book. You never know.

Kevin
Well Stevie did once say that a cartoon would be made of Goldfish and Ladybug and it would be the Dr. Zhivago of children's stories.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can NOT wait to hear this and Watch Chain.
I'll third that. I really never would have guessed Cathouse Blues. I'm glad she's doing it, because I think it's a great song, but it's definitely a shock.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

I can't even imagine how this one will sound.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cat House Blues has always been one of my favorite demos. It's a fun, clever song that doesn't take its self too seriously. I'm glad Stevie recognizes the value in it. I'm sure she will do it justice.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think she could really pull this one off, as good as, or better than the demo. It's So Easy and Not Fade Away turned out great with that sexy growl...Cat House Blues should be killer!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Cathouse Blues" and "Watch Chain" are my most favorite Stevie Nicks demos. I have waited forever for them to actually make it onto a studio album, thus I am delightedty with anticipation.

When I first heard "Cathouse Blues", I wondered if the demo was a cover version of an old song that Stevie dug up from somewhere. It has a very Mae West feel. I love the fact that Stevie is singing about working girls in a brothel. I never thought she would release it on a record and I hope this NEW version stays very true to the demo. I love Stevie best when she is singing country songs ("After The Glitter Fades", "Rose Garden", "That's Alright") so I hope this new version retains the country/jazzy feel. I want her to perform this song at a jazz club in the French Quarter of New Orleans.

“Don't you just love those long rainy afternoons in New Orleans, when an hour isn't just an hour - but a little piece of eternity dropped into your hands - and who knows what to do with it?”
Old 08-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
"Cathouse Blues" and "Watch Chain" are my most favorite Stevie Nicks demos. I have waited forever for them to actually make it onto a studio album, thus I am delightedty with anticipation.

When I first heard "Cathouse Blues", I wondered if the demo was a cover version of an old song that Stevie dug up from somewhere. It has a very Mae West feel. I love the fact that Stevie is singing about working girls in a brothel. I never thought she would release it on a record and I hope this NEW version stays very true to the demo. I love Stevie best when she is singing country songs ("After The Glitter Fades", "Rose Garden", "That's Alright") so I hope this new version retains the country/jazzy feel. I want her to perform this song at a jazz club in the French Quarter of New Orleans.
I couldn't agree more. I kind of hope it clocks in at under 2:00. It's a wonderful, short little ditty that should remain true to its original form. Here's hoping...

Kevin
Old 08-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Can't Wait for 24 Karat Gold!

I havent heard the Cat House Blues, but I am looking forward to hearing the whole thing! I do think, if I do say so myself, (small Gong....) Meow XOXO
[
Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOkoBzxw5ds

Kevin
Old 08-21-2014, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

One of her earliest and best demos in my opinion. Of course it won't be a carbon copy of the original. Her voice isn't as nimble as it was when she was in her twenties. So it would be unfair to compare it to the demo. I think the new version will be great, more fully developed , and might even include an added verse. I just can't imagine how she has reinterpreted it, I'm so glad she picked this song. Now I have the cathouse blues, in a good way!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-21-2014 at 12:17 AM..
Old 08-21-2014, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Well Stevie did once say that a cartoon would be made of Goldfish and Ladybug and it would be the Dr. Zhivago of children's stories.
The song seems like a wet noodle to me. It's okay, but not something I would ever expect her to consider for this new album. It's a tepid attempt to create an children's song. She had good intentions and visions, but it's a b-rated cartoon song at best.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-21-2014 at 12:32 AM..
Old 08-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
The song seems like a wet noodle to me. It's okay, but not something I would ever expect her to consider for this new album. It's a tepid attempt to create an children's song. She had good intentions and visions, but it's a b-rated cartoon song at best.
w-e-l-l..it maybe "a wet noodle" kind of song.
But since hearing its on the album........I can't stop singing it, when will we get a snippet?
that's what I what to know.